• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 months and still in pain

E

ellie58

i WENT TO MY DENTIST 4 MONTHS AGO BECAUSE i HAD PAIN BETWEEN 2 TEETH AND IN THE GUMS. He changed the filling. still pain. He did a deep cleaning . still pain. He said I needed a root canal. I then went to a endodontist to see if this was true. He said absoluteely not. I went to peridontist to see if my gums were bad. No they were fine and so were the bones. All my xrays were perfect not a sign of a problem. Still in more pain now.
Changed dentists and he said I did need a root canal by this time im in such discomfort ill try anything. He botched the root canal and put sodium hypothorite the cleansing fluid for the root into my cheek and the pain was excruciating. He didnt seem to know what he did so he said it was my tooths fault becase of a crack and now he wanted to pull the tooth and put in an implant. meanwhile im screaming in pain so he gave nme another shot of novacaine and hurried me out as all the patioents were leaving after hearing me screaming. that night I went to emergency, my face was beet red and swollen and in extreme pain when the novacaine wore off. they gave me strong antibiotics and morphine and said to find anoather dentist who was reputable. how do you know that. I went back to the endodontis who said that he did not want to deal with it as he did not recommend it in the firtst place. I am still in alaot of pain and taking painkillers regularly so I can function. I found a new dentist who I see tomorrow to see if I need the tooth extracted or what and also to see if the original problem can be solved. Xmas is coming and I am going on a trip to costa rica in Jan 2 for 2 weeks. this should have all been solved months ago but instead everything is worse, Need good advice :confused::cry::shame:

Hi!

I too had a "mystery" toothache that I had for a long time while one dentist didn't believe me and another thought I had neuralgia (look up trigeminal neuralgia). What finally got me out of my pain was an endodontist who would take the time to find out what was wrong.

The health professionals you have seen, your previous and new general dentist, endodontist and periodontist are all dentists. They are trained to diagnose and treat tooth pain, and none of them should drop the ball like that and make you go and seek help with someone else.

I think you are doing the right thing finding a new dentist, as none of the ones you have seen seem to be any good. I hope you have done some research online to find out if the new dentist is reputable.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

;);):innocent:Thanks I went to a friend's dentist who she has had for 20 years experience yesterday. She did an xray and said that the dentist that did the root canal hd broken a file in the root and also had drilled into the side of the tooth causing extensive damage. She sent me to another endodontist that samee day and he said that the tooth only had a 60% chance of saving and with all the damage it would be very expensive to fix with very little lifetime for it maybe 2 years if I was very lucky and would cost about 4000$ when completed. He said it would be better to extract it and put in an implant that would last for the the remainder of my like probably for the same money. I called the dentist and she said she could make a flipper for now after extraction so that I would be ok for Xmas and my costa rica trip in January. I went back and she fitted my mouth for the flipper for after my extraction on Wednesday. It is the first tooth I have had pulled and am naturally very nervous becasue she said after it would hurt for 2 or 3 days and then slowly get better for xmas on Monday when I have the family over. I feel that my endodontist lied to me when he said every thing was fine and I phoned him later that day and told the girl to tell him so.
I feel very fortunate that all these people are now working hard to fix all the horrible thing this dentist did to me. He should have hisl icense taken from him:mad: so he cant hurt other unfortunate people.
I hope all goes well tomorrow and I get the flipper on.

My dentist now said that in a few months I may choose to get the implant which is her choice because bridges ruin the 2 other teeth they are hooked to and I sure dont want that. will keep all posted as to the progress I am making:);DShe also said that there was probably a slight crack in the tooth to start with and that every time someone did something to the tooth it made the crack worse until this bad dentist reall did it in.

Last edited:
Hi!

That's great news! So good to hear that you are getting it sorted!

I'm pretty sure you can report the dentist who ruined your tooth, you even have witnesses from the ER. It's a pretty bad dentist who puts you in the ER. I'm not sure how you go about it in your country, but I'm sure it can be done.

Your endodontist didn't necessarily lie to you, he might just not have wanted to have anything to do with the "case" (which is you) because it was a difficult problem to diagnose and he therefore risked giving you the wrong treatment and ending up with an unhappy patient and even getting sued. Seems like dentists want to protect themselves rather than help patients. I really felt like the problem that noone wanted to touch before I finally got help. I had a few teeth that looked GREAT on the x-rays and with nice, nice periodontal probings and everything, but that caused me a lot of pain. This is not something dentists want to risk touching.

Again, great to hear that you are getting help, and happy holidays and a wonderful trip to Costa Rica to you!

:)

;);):innocent:Thanks I went to a friend's dentist who she has had for 20 years yesterdaya. She did an xray and said that the dentist that did the root canal hd broken a file in the root and also had drilled into the side of the tooth causing extensive damage. She sent me to another endodontist that samee day and he said that the tooth only had a 60% chance of saving and with all te damaage it would be very expensive tofix with very little lifetime for it maybe 2 yeasr if I was very lucky and would cost about 4000$ when completed. He said it would be bwetter to extract it and out in an implant that would last for the the remainder of my like probably for the same monsy. I called the dentist and she said she could make a flipper for now after extraction so that I would be ok for Xmas and my costa rica trip in January. I went back and dhe fitted my mouth for the flipper for after my extraction on Wednesday. It is the first tooth I have had pulled and am naturally very nervous becasue she said after it would hurt for 2 or 3 days and then slowly get better for xmas on Monday when I have the family over. I feel that my endodontist lied to me when he said every thing was fine and I phoned him later that day and told the girl to tell him so.
I feel very fortunate that all these people are now working hard to fix all the horrible thing this dentist did to me. He shouuld have hislicense taken from him:mad: so he cant hurt other unfortunate people. I hope all goes well tomorrow and I get the flipper on.
My dentist now said that in a few months I may choose to get the implant which is her choice because bridges ruin the 2 other teeth they are hooked to and I sure dont want that. will keep all posted as to the progress I am making:);D
apparently there was a very small crack cauing all teh problems and evertime someone did something to the tooth it made the crack worse and more painful un till the bad dentist finished it off completely

Back