• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

ashamed and embarrassed

A

arouse

I am so ashamed of the state of my teeth, most are broken or rotten. I am scared to death to go to the dentist to get them sorted through fear of ridicule, plus now the cost implication. The situation is ruining my life and have not smiled with confidence for years. I really need to do something to get my confidence and my life back but am petrified of the thought. I feel kinda desperate now, can anyone help me with these fears. Please!!!!!!
Thank u

Spoke to a man last night while buying my son a Christmas present who said he hadn't gone in years and said that the dentist was shocked at the state of his teeth and went on and on. I personally felt embarrassed that any dentist would say that to a patient. Call the office and admit your embarrassed as to the state of your teeth and that you want to do corrective treatment but don't want to be embarrassed or put down. The staff should be nice to you on the phone and tell the dentist what to do. When you go if they aren't nice just leave and go elsewhere.

That's just how I felt after my total lack of dental surgery visits for over 20 years. You're not alone! I'd do what comfortdentist recommends and phone a surgery to explain what you need (and don't need!) but I'd ask around friends/family first and see if they can recommend anyone really nice...that's how I finally got back into a surgery, albeit as a walking jelly.

That's also exactly how I felt a month ago...
Afte finding this forum I gathered up the courage to find a Dentist who specialized in phobic patients and emailed them. ( I was too scared and embarrassed to phone) they emailed back and sounded lovely and so understanding and the plan was for me to come in and just have a chat. Well, I ended up feeling comfortable enough to open my mouth and I haven't looked back. ( I'm currently in the waiting room at the moment waiting to have another tooth extracted)
All up I needed 2 fillings, 2 teeth extracted and my wisdom teeth removed. ( which I have to do under general in Jan as they are impacted)
I am still scared but once the initial consult is over with, it gets so much easier!
You can do it! Try and find a dentist who specializes in patients like us and i promise you will be fine. You will feel so much better once you go the first time. It's like a weight is lifted off you.
Good luck!
Xx

I am so ashamed of the state of my teeth, most are broken or rotten. I am scared to death to go to the dentist to get them sorted through fear of ridicule, plus now the cost implication. The situation is ruining my life and have not smiled with confidence for years. I really need to do something to get my confidence and my life back but am petrified of the thought. I feel kinda desperate now, can anyone help me with these fears. Please!!!!!!
Thank u

hi i was the same embarrassed ,scared all thoughts went through my head just the same as u but when i did find an understanding dentist who has been great knowing my phobia of dentist it got easier to go and see her. still get sweats when i am waiting to go in but once she spoken to me as to exactly what is going to happen i start to calm down. someone on here wrote a letter to their dentist explaining their fears. perhaps you could try this before you actually go in.
i had 8 extractions on the top and a top denture fitted 8 days ago and i thought the end of the world had come as i am only 43 but now i am getting use to them all i can see is my bright smile at the end of it all and the photos i can now smile in with my granchildren. hope this has helped and you will get there and all the best for the future.

:cry: I'm sending hugs to you,
Just go to talk with potential dentists.
If it dont feel right and make you feel uncomfortable~Look for another before you begin to open your mouth for them.
I've been shopping around and even though a dentist was highly recomended, if they came across in any way other than caring about me, my needs, then I was gone.
Put you first and certainly make sure that the time you pay to be in that chair, that your dentist puts you first.

I"m with everyone else on here.... I found my dentist after a second consultation because the first one gave me no hope or options.

And do try to find a friend or family member to talk with who'll understand your fears and concerns. It helps... it truly helps!

i feel your pain. most of my teeth are rotten and i am ashamed to go to the dentist for fear of ridicule. i hope we both find a solution.