• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very worried

A

annoyedofuk

Tomorrow is the day before xmas eve and of course I have a tooth that is primed to explode no doubt on xmas day. It all started about two weeks ago when I bit into some cold potato salad and get a gripping biting pain all night.

It subsided a bit in the morning to the extent I could go to work but I had a dull ache most of the time and a lot of sensitivity with cold air. Also with hot drinks now. Not looking great is it.

The pain seems to be in the gum between the top wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it,but the gum around the wisdom tooth is also tender and burning. The wisdom tooth doesn't hurt to tap or brush it is the rest of the time.

I know I should have got it seen to before but Iam not only anxious about the dentists but also going out in busy places. Iam was banking on waiting until my appointment early new year when things are quieter but I think this isn't an option now.

Iam also worried because I had two cancel two appointments, both strangely enough not because of dental fear reasons like in the past,but one because I broke both my hands , and the second one because I booked some insulation work on my house on the day of my dentist appointment and I did it when I was doped up on painkiller due to the broken hands,forgetting about the appointment.

Iam worried ,if the dentist can fit me in, I live in the UK and have an nhs dentist,and Iam also worried what he will do, from what I read it will be either a root canal or an extraction. Because It sounds like irreversable pulpitis.

And to add insult to injury my car is bust and I will have to get the train up there with raging toothache as that was the nearest NHS to me.

Oh and just found out they dentist does a half day tomorrow. This is just great this is. The pains pretty bad.

There will be emergency NHS dental arrangements in your area - I think NHS Direct can advise.
Getting some antibiotics might tide you over Christmas. If its your wisdom tooth, an extraction would seem sensible rather than root canal. Your dentist could well do this as an emergency appt before Christmas.

If you are in pain, your NHS dentist should make every effort to fit you in, that is why they are your regular dentist so you can get care when the need arises.

Back