• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

untreated cavity, can I wait a few weeks?

P

pinhtrahtiotix

So basically, I've had a large untreated cavity in one of my bottom molars for nearly 6 years now. I finally have the funds to treat it, and I definitely will get it treated, but I won't be able to go to the dentist until about 3 more weeks (scheduling issues).

It's just, recently I had a wakeup call when I read a bunch of articles about people who died from untreated cavities/dental infections that spread to the brain or heart. Some of these cases led to death after only a few weeks of symptoms!

Is it risky of me to wait 3 more weeks? I haven't experienced any symptoms or pain from this tooth in at least 3 years (I know this isn't really a good thing...)
I did occasionally experience symptoms in the first 3 years along with the cavity getting bigger but in the last 3 years there has been nothing..and the cavity stopped growing in that time as well. (The symptoms in the first few years were typical: swelling of gums and pain, pus draining..although this might have also been from my impacted wisdom teeth, I don't know)

Basically, I don't think there's any immediate emergency, so will it kill me to wait another 3 weeks when it's most convenient before going to the dentist, after all it's already been 6 years so another 3 weeks can't hurt right?

By the way, I have no delusion of saving the tooth. In my case, extraction is the best option not only for the lower cost (as opposed to a root canal..) but because there's a partially erupted wisdom tooth right behind it, which I assume will move in once I get the infected molar extracted?

I'm not a dentist but it sounds like your problem is more chronic. After 6 years, don't think three weeks will make much difference. Sounds like the nerve of the tooth has died, so I wouldn't expect pain unless the infection becomes acute- then I would run to the dentist.

Good luck getting it attended to.

yeah the nerve is probably dead lol

I hope to god that I have 3 weeks to fix it...i just can't fit it into my schedule until then

what do you mean by acute infection at this point?
and thanks for ur well wishes

The infection comes back witha vengance and you get symptoms of an abscess

Back