• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Want to start the new year by getting my smile back...

S

Sport09

Well, I'm New to the forum & hoping this site will be able to help me out.

Long story short, Im in my mid 20's Been to the dentist when I was 10 year old & was a bad experience. Held me to the chair & such. But that was then.

Recently for the last 5 years, I've been trying to go to different dentists & getting any kind of work done so I can improve my teeth. I can let them look at them, take xrays, cleanings. But Im way too scared for anything else, like needle for novacaine, to do any types of fillings, root canals, ect.

Basicly I'm a control freak & start to panic.

I tried medicine prescribed like Xanax, valiam, tried differents types of therapy, You name it I tried.

Sedation is something I WILL NOT DO. It just scares me more.

I've should be feeling great because I got an excelent job, set of wheels, place to live, but really no friends because of me feeling uncomfortable with my teeth. I dont let myself get into pictures, I hide my mouth when I talk. Its that bad & im affraid of it getting worst.

I found a great dentist in my area, I want to do my part to help them so they can help me out.

All Im really is asking is What can be the next step from here??? Im just out of ideas anymore & Its been getting to me emotionally more & more.

Hi!

I had a similar experience as yours as a kid and can understand how you feel.

I too have a need to have control, but my dentist will not do anything unless I agree 100%. She gives me advice (which she is very much qualified to do), and does work for me. Remember, there are things you just can't do yourself, even dentists can't do their own dental work.

Many people on this site had sedation for their dental work, I had all of mine awake, and it was OK. You will find all kinds of suggestions for things that will calm you down, some of them are repeated, and that's because they work. Not looking at the syringe works, listening to some music that you like in the waiting room works, not doing too much on the first appointment works, the list goes on, and there's more in the "what can help" section here.

You have already found a good dentist and you can already tolerate cleanings, I don't think you are that far from getting your teeth fixed.

All the best!

:)

I tried medicine prescribed like Xanax, valiam, tried differents types of therapy, You name it I tried.

Sedation is something I WILL NOT DO. It just scares me more.

I tend to get confused when people say "sedation" because there are so many different types of sedation.

I've had IV sedation for my wisdom teeth over 20 years ago... don't remember a thing, woke up like a minute later.

Currently I'm having dental treatment with Oral Sedation... which pretty much is close to IV sedation because I'm soooo sleepy and at times I'm actually asleep in the chair. You don't feel "drunk" - just super tired and heavy weighted and do need someone with you to get you back to the car after. Then you sleep it off, wake up feeling like you just woke up from a good nights sleep.

I was really scared of oral sedation because I didn't know how it would make me feel... but now I just won't have work done without it. My 2 hour appointments feel like 1/2 hour. It's great!

As for Hynosis, you could try that. I've never tried it, I don't think it would work on me because, I dunno, I just don't "get it" - how someone's voice puts you in a trance. o_O But I suppose if you're open to it, it'll work. :)

I've never taken Valuim or Xanax or anything of such, so I can't say if it's a similar affect. Perhaps someone can share their input with those two meds in relation to something like Ativan, which is what I take.

Back