• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hygienist versus dentist

Who would you rather see

• Total voters
R

RP

You have an appointment coming up, who would you rather be seeing?

I voted 'Either as Long as I am Sedated'. It doesn't bother me seeing either my dentist or hygienist, Both my current dentist (Miss J.L. Potter) and hygienist(Mrs Gill Stagg) are both really caring and I trust them goth equally. Having a scale and polish doesnt bother me as I have never had a bad experience with this treatment Gill Stagg my current hygienist is really carefull and my previous hygenist Miss Sasra Thirkill at Acomb dental practice have been really nice with me. Generally I am not to bothered seeing my dentist all three ( Mrs Muriel Bekou - Betts, Mrs Carolyn Rickleton and Miss Janet Potter) have been extremely caring with me and very reassuring, I have built up a great trust with each of these dentists. But I do feel nervous when I need treatment as I am still afraid of the drill, and need a lot of support and reassurance to help me through my treatment. Thankfully all three of my dentist's have apreciated this and all have been really reassuring. I am now back with Miss Potter but I would hapilly go back to either of my other two dentist's

Last edited:
I went back and forth over this one for quite awhile. For some reason there is a very high turnover rate and the hygienists don't seem to last longer than a couple of years at my dentist's office so I don't have much of a relationship with any of them and I never really know who I'm going to end up with (although they have all been lovely). Unfortunately this inconsistency really generates a lot of anxiety since I never truly know what to expect. Plus, I have had more bad hygienist experiences than I have had bad dentist experiences (I think they may even be a little more responsible for my fears than dentists...hygienist phobia...who knew?! ^_^). For that reason, I chose that I would rather see my dentist because I have a strong trusting relationship already established with her and I (for the most part) know what to expect even if that means that I'm probably there for an actual "procedure" and not a cleaning. Knowing the procedure is "worse" than a cleaning is my only reservation about preferring to see my dentist but regardless, I know it will be comfortable so I still pick her. Actually I think some fillings with her have been more comfortable than cleanings anyway...local is great stuff! ;)

I had to vote hygienist, solely on the basis that, out of the various dental people I met last year, I think she was the best at dealing with me and my anxiety.

I had all my hygiene appointments unsedated (although some of the cleaning etc, especially my back teeth, was done by my dentist instead, while I was under IV sedation); and I still would prefer to go back for another appointment with her than to go, sedated or otherwise, to anyone else. I did really like my last dentist too, but if I'm forced to pick, it would be the hygienist.

(Sadly, this is all rather moot now, though, since I've had to leave that practice and so won't be seeing either of them again! :( But I've yet to meet a hygienist at the new place, so could only go on my previous one.)

Anyway, basically my answer is about the person, not the treatment. Hope that doesn't skew your results! ...Actually, having said that, there probably are other sides to it - I left every hygiene appointment unsedated and in no pain, rather than doped up and with pain to follow (as after dental treatment). They were also shorter appointments. But the main factor is simply whom I feel safest with.

The poll's faulty ;)- you need an option that allows 'either without sedation'.

I am happy to see either at my current location but I think it is unusual to have two you really like. Often you put up with an okay hygienist alongside a great dentist.
Would a horrible hygienist make me leave a great dentist? Yes for sure or I'd just arrange my cleanings elsewhere.

I agree with KitKat on turnover also being an issue. I think the dentist is the most important aspect because after all if you really couldn't get on with their hygienist, you could pay the dentist to clean your teeth instead.

You also need:
dentist if check-up only versus hygienist cleaning
dentist even if treatment versus hygienist cleaning
other please explain

I tried couldn't figure out how to alter the options.

I would rather deal with the Hygienist. Less intimidating than a dentist.

Back