Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      11

      Default White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      I recently got a premolar removed yesterday cos it was abscessed. I had really bad pain yesterday after it but it went away. I went to check the extraction area and I noticed this white-film stuff over the clot - is this normal? Some of it broke off... some sites on the internet were saying that white stuff was the blood clot :/ but i can definitely see a black-red chunk underneath the white film. this has now made me paranoid about dry socket and I've been googling it for hours.

      please reply - last thing i want is dry socket! i've had tooth extractions before and i don't remember it being this difficult!!!

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      11

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      anyone??? I'm so worried

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,450

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      Don't panic from what I have read in this forum I think they say this is normal. I am not a dentist but I am reading this forum a lot and educating myself. I had a tooth out in Sept 2011 and I was told not to prod it with my tongue or anything else. The black/red thing is the clot and you need to leave it alone. If your'e not in total bang your head on the wall agony you have not got dry socket. From my own experience along with what I have read you sound as if you're doing well apart from stressing yourself out. I had dry socket some years ago and the pain is unbearable. If you have a bit of pain it's normal. If you smoke try not to because this can cause dry socket also sucking through a straw. You should start rinsing your mouth with salt water gently for a few days now. Hope this has helped. All the best.
      Last edited by carole; 14th January 2012 at 11:46.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      11

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      Don't panic from what I have read in this forum I think they say this is normal. I am not a dentist but I am reading this forum a lot and educating myself. I had a tooth out in Sept 2011 and I was told not to prod it with my tongue or anything else. The black/red thing is the clot and you need to leave it alone. If your'e not in total bang your head on the wall agony you have not got dry root. From my own experience along with what I have read you sound as if you're doing well apart from stressing yourself out. I had dry socket some years ago and the pain is unbearable. If you have a bit of pain it's normal. If you smoke try not to because this can cause dry socket also sucking through a straw. You should start rinsing your mouth with salt water gently for a few days now. Hope this has helped. All the best.
      Thank you!! Is a dry socket completely hollow? How days will it take (roughly) until I'm out of the woods in terms of dry socket? I had the extraction yesterday. It just feels like a dull throbbing right now.
      Last edited by arghhh93; 14th January 2012 at 01:13.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,450

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      I think so when I had mine I was in total agony form the minute the numbing wore off. It was worse than any toothache. At the time I thought this was normal because I had only had teeth out as a child previously and had had gas. This was the first tooth I'd had out just with numbing I was in my 20s a lot of years ago. I left it for some days but when I went to dentist he gave me antibiotics and had to pack the hollow bit. So I suppose the answer is yes. Don't eat on that side either. The tooth I had out in Sept 2011 healed in about 5 days meaning the hole had closed and wasn't red. You would be in agony if you had dry socket. Like I said you sound normal to me if you don't need painkillers you haven't got dry socket. Leave the white alone as well if it's still there when you rinse your mouth it will come away when it's meant to. STAY CALM YOU'LL BE FINE.
      Dull throb is normal and so is the white stuff from what I have read on this site the white stuff is good.
      Last edited by carole; 14th January 2012 at 01:57.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      11

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      I think so when I had mine I was in total agony form the minute the numbing wore off. It was worse than any toothache. At the time I thought this was normal because I had only had teeth out as a child previously and had had gas. This was the first tooth I'd had out just with numbing I was in my 20s a lot of years ago. I left it for some days but when I went to dentist he gave me antibiotics and had to pack the hollow bit. So I suppose the answer is yes. Don't eat on that side either. The tooth I had out in Sept 2011 healed in about 5 days meaning the hole had closed and wasn't red. You would be in agony if you had dry socket. Like I said you sound normal to me if you don't need painkillers you haven't got dry socket. Leave the white alone as well if it's still there when you rinse your mouth it will come away when it's meant to. STAY CALM YOU'LL BE FINE.
      Dull throb is normal and so is the white stuff from what I have read on this site the white stuff is good.
      Thank you - I can be a bit of a hypochondriac at times! I woke up this morning and the white film is reforming over the clot
      Last edited by arghhh93; 14th January 2012 at 13:23.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,450

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      So can I we do more harm to ourselves mentally than the dentists do. I can even think myself into a toothache if I think something is wrong I imagine teeth falling out or breaking I'm glad you're feeling better.

    8. The Following User Says Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

      arghhh93 (15th January 2012)

    9. #8
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      11

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      So can I we do more harm to ourselves mentally than the dentists do. I can even think myself into a toothache if I think something is wrong I imagine teeth falling out or breaking I'm glad you're feeling better.
      Yep. The granulation tissue stuff doesn't seem to be lodging too well (keeps up ending in my spit! rrgg) but the hole is getting smaller. No pain either so I think I'm totally out of the woods with dry socket. Again, thanks for your help!

    10. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,450

      Default Re: White stuff over tooth extraction area?

      I have kept looking today to see how you are doing. I am pleased you're feeling better. Don't worry about the white stuff any more. Keep doing the salt water rinses as warm as you can stand. Gently hold it in your mouth don't swish it about too much, the more often you can do it the quicker you'll heal. I would say you won't get dry socket but I'm not a dentist. I am glad I was of help I know how easy it is to get into a panic. The white stuff will probably go soon if it hasn't already. Have you done at the dentist now or do you need more treatment.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •