Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tissue sloughing

Default Tissue sloughing

I develop a layer of loose tissue that sloughs right off from my gums and cheeks covering my mouth after using both Crest Total Care and now Sensodyne with whitening toothpaste? Is there a common ingredient in the two of these that's causing this? Although it's not painful it can't be good?

rp
      "Focus on your goals, not the hurdles."
      -- Amanda Curtis Kane

Default Re: Tissue sloughing

Is your skin peeling off. What is sloughing. I once used colgate as this seems to be the must use toothpaste these days. My gum skin looked white and loads of it just came away. Is that what you have. The only toothpaste I can use is Sensodyne for the sensitivity.

I've just noticed this was in the dentistry bit sorry, hope I haven't stopped a dentist answering you.
      Last edited by carole; 6th February 2012 at 11:32.

Hey
      I assume it not painful nor sensitive, so I don't think it is an allergic reaction or sensitivity for the ingridiants.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

I'd be suspicious of what they put in there for the whitening bit and so avoid?
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
      I'd be suspicious of what they put in there for the whitening bit and so avoid?
      The active ingredient of most whitening toothpastes is sodium tripolyphosphate. It is an abrasive that is used to dissolve/break down stains. The peroxide added to whitening toothpastes isn't a high enough concentration to do tissue damage. Like Dr. Daniel said, if there isn't pain or sensitivity, its probably not an allergy to the ingredients.

To RP, I have the same issue. I randomly have tissue slough off every other week or so. Its not excessive, just a little bit around my cheeks. The oral tissues turn over at a very rapid rate due to masticatory damage. I wouldn't be too concerned, but have your dentist check it out at your next visit.

It seemed like within hours of using the sensodyne- I tend not to rinse it out so that I can maximize the desensitizing effect. I looked at the tube- it too is called "total" - what I normally use is sensodyne tartar control with whitening, so don't think its the whitening effect.

Thanks decan, in some ways I wondered if the sloughing was actually healthy but this morning it was in my teeth, on my lips.........gross. I'll mention it if it continues, or snap a pic.

rp
      -- Amanda Curtis Kane

Most likely contact mucositis but could be Lichen planus
      Dr. Raymond Kimsey, DMD
      www.comfortableimplantdentistry.com

not painful or red, just sloughing.
      -- Amanda Curtis Kane

It happens to me too! - but I use Oral B toothpaste. It doesn't happen with any others. Like you RP I don't rinse after brushing and within an hour I have a layer of 'something', like a film of mucus - I don't know how to describe it really - that I can rub away from my whole mouth.
      I just assumed it was something in that particular brand.....

I googled and something called dentifrice induced sloughing, per the internet its a reaction to a toothpaste or mouthwash..............strike that one off my list!
      -- Amanda Curtis Kane