• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tissue sloughing

R

RP

I develop a layer of loose tissue that sloughs right off from my gums and cheeks covering my mouth after using both Crest Total Care and now Sensodyne with whitening toothpaste? Is there a common ingredient in the two of these that's causing this? Although it's not painful it can't be good?

rp

Is your skin peeling off. What is sloughing. I once used colgate as this seems to be the must use toothpaste these days. My gum skin looked white and loads of it just came away. Is that what you have. The only toothpaste I can use is Sensodyne for the sensitivity.

I've just noticed this was in the dentistry bit sorry, hope I haven't stopped a dentist answering you.

Last edited:
Hey
I assume it not painful nor sensitive, so I don't think it is an allergic reaction or sensitivity for the ingridiants.

I'd be suspicious of what they put in there for the whitening bit and so avoid?

I'd be suspicious of what they put in there for the whitening bit and so avoid?

The active ingredient of most whitening toothpastes is sodium tripolyphosphate. It is an abrasive that is used to dissolve/break down stains. The peroxide added to whitening toothpastes isn't a high enough concentration to do tissue damage. Like Dr. Daniel said, if there isn't pain or sensitivity, its probably not an allergy to the ingredients.

To RP, I have the same issue. I randomly have tissue slough off every other week or so. Its not excessive, just a little bit around my cheeks. The oral tissues turn over at a very rapid rate due to masticatory damage. I wouldn't be too concerned, but have your dentist check it out at your next visit.

It seemed like within hours of using the sensodyne- I tend not to rinse it out so that I can maximize the desensitizing effect. I looked at the tube- it too is called "total" - what I normally use is sensodyne tartar control with whitening, so don't think its the whitening effect.

Thanks decan, in some ways I wondered if the sloughing was actually healthy but this morning it was in my teeth, on my lips.........gross. I'll mention it if it continues, or snap a pic.

rp

It happens to me too! - but I use Oral B toothpaste. It doesn't happen with any others. Like you RP I don't rinse after brushing and within an hour I have a layer of 'something', like a film of mucus - I don't know how to describe it really - that I can rub away from my whole mouth.
I just assumed it was something in that particular brand.....:hmm:

I googled and something called dentifrice induced sloughing, per the internet its a reaction to a toothpaste or mouthwash..............strike that one off my list!

I get this as well when I use colgate total. It totally freaked me out, it was like white mucus sort of stringy on the inside of my cheek next to my bottom teeth and appeared about half an hour after brushing. It literally pulled off in long stringy pieces every time I brushed my teeth. I 'd never had it before with toothpaste but since it kept happening I have changed to sensodyne rapid relief and that seems ok.

Back