• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cleaning question

N

niknak

I got a lower denture in fall (which I hate btw). I smile less, go out in public less, etc. Right now the lowers don't match my natural uppers in color, luster, etc. I was supposed to have a cleaning on Monday but I chickened out and canceled the appt. The appt was set for an hour, which is WAY tooooo long for me to have someone hovering over me and digging in my mouth. The thought of scraping etc just makes me sick to my stomach. I don't even like just sitting in the dentist chair when he is adjusting my denture appliance.

So how bad is the cleaning really? Is it really an hour long? What is all involved? I would rather forego it and have mismatched teeth and keep staying in the house than to go through such a horrific (in my opinion) experience.

I am undergoing cleaning at the moment.I am having it done in stages. I was lucky and had no pain or even real discomfort.I did ask the hygenist to stop now and then and she did.
It depends how much needs to be done,how long it takes. I managed an hour with breaks.

If you feel pain they can rub numbing gel on your gums or even numb you with injections but I would say try without first.

Hope it goes well for you.:)

Hi niknak.

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your denture. :(

There's a description here of what a regular dental cleaning entails:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/scale-and-polish/

And one here of deep cleaning:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/deep-cleaning/

I wasn't sure from your description which one you meant?

Either way, Pippa is right - it really doesn't need to be painful or uncomfortable. The key is having the right person doing it. Is it your dentist, or a hygienist? Is it someone you're happy with?

I had a course of four hour-long hygiene appointments last year, and I couldn't stand the idea of being worked on for that long either. In fact, I basically hate having anything done in my mouth, at all, ever! I was having sedation for my other treatment, but couldn't afford it for these appointments too, plus they included 'education', which I needed to be alert for! I was terrified, and convinced it would be awful, but it wasn't, largely because my hygienist was amazing! She used lots of gel, so even though I have sensitive teeth and gums, I felt no real pain at all, just the odd twinge now and again. She was careful not to make me gag (another problem of mine), and went at my pace, stopping whenever I needed her to. Honestly, with the right person, cleaning does not need to be at all unpleasant, let alone horrific.

I can't imagine that the plan would be to be working in your mouth non-stop for an hour anyway - I'm sure that would be difficult even for someone who's quite happy going to the dentist! :o Perhaps it would help you to contact your dentist (or whoever's going to be doing the cleaning) and explain that you're worried about it. Say that you're going to need lots of breaks, and may even prefer to do things over two (or even more) appointments, if it gets too much for you at the first one. If you don't like the thought of hearing scraping sounds (although, I personally can't remember noticing this, and it's the kind of thing that would normally bother me!), ask if you can take your mp3 player with you, and listen to music during the appointment to block out the sounds. There are also different kinds of tools they can use, and you can see which ones you're most comfortable with. Your detist/hygienist may have some other suggestions, too. Hopefully you can come up with a plan to help you get through it.

And I really hope they find a way to help you with your denture too. Life sounds tough for you right now - hope things get better for you soon! :XXLhug:

Just the thought of sitting in the chair freaks me out completely, and laying down in the chair freaks me out even more!! I was sedated for the extractions and wish they would have just done the cleaning then while I was sedated!! I'm not so worried about the actual sound of scraping, but the tool itself that is used, that creepy hook looking thing. Plus I will freak as soon as someone even hovers over me. I'm getting nauseous just thinking of it...I am glad I canceled my appointment for at least now, but I don't foresee myself going through with it in the forseeable future. Are there any home remedies that may work along the lines of a dental cleaning so I don't have to go through with it?:shame:

Just the thought of sitting in the chair freaks me out completely, and laying down in the chair freaks me out even more!! I was sedated for the extractions and wish they would have just done the cleaning then while I was sedated!!
In that case, why not ask to be sedated for the cleaning too? I had a cleaning on Monday as part of an appointment under IV sedation. A number of other posters have been/always are sedated (oral or IV or nitrous, or a combination) for cleanings too. Have you asked you dentist about it?

Are there any home remedies that may work along the lines of a dental cleaning so I don't have to go through with it?:shame:
Obviously I'm not a dentist, but unfortunately I don't think you can really subsitute for the experts doing their job.

Hope you find a solution. :XXLhug:

In that case, why not ask to be sedated for the cleaning too? I had a cleaning on Monday as part of an appointment under IV sedation. A number of other posters have been/always are sedated (oral or IV or nitrous, or a combination) for cleanings too. Have you asked you dentist about it?

Obviously I'm not a dentist, but unfortunately I don't think you can really subsitute for the experts doing their job.

Hope you find a solution. :XXLhug:

To be honest, the meds themselves freak me out even more which is why I won't get sedated again :o:sick:

To be honest, the meds themselves freak me out even more which is why I won't get sedated again :o:sick:
Ah I see. I think I remember you posting before your sedation appointment now...the memory's kicked in! :rolleyes:

It went well though, right? Knowing you took the medication before, and you were ok, does that help at all, or not? Is it the out-of-it feeling you don't like, or is it a fear of side-effects? Sorry, an awful lot of questions there! I just would love to be able to help you, and I don't give up easy! ;)

Ah I see. I think I remember you posting before your sedation appointment now...the memory's kicked in! :rolleyes:

It went well though, right? Knowing you took the medication before, and you were ok, does that help at all, or not? Is it the out-of-it feeling you don't like, or is it a fear of side-effects? Sorry, an awful lot of questions there! I just would love to be able to help you, and I don't give up easy! ;)

No problem on the questions, it was all this boards support I was able to get the first step done! And yes it was me. I don't like the out of it feeling and fear of side effects. I swore after I took the first sedation, I would never take those types of meds again! Plus to make matters worse,I have such bad TMD issues, it is miserable to swallow pills, since my swallow function is dysfunctional!

I was more afraid of cleaning than all of my other very extensive dental work...so afetr two years I finaal reached the need a cleaning only appointment ......

and I had oraqix (topical) because I have very sensitive gums. I didn't feel a thing except some sensitivity on one tooth. I was numb but it wore off before the end of the appointment. Ok so I had sedation too.......but that doesn't mask what you feel.

The hour might include an oral exam, maybe xrays, periodontal probing (done after topical if you use it) oral cancer screen, checking all of your teeth/gums for decay and recession, polishing off stain, home care instructions...etc...So the actual cleaning itself depending on how good your home care is and how long between prophys is usually not the full hour.

I know you probably know this, but the longer you put it off, the more stufff there is to clean off.

rp

Umm, yeah, thanks but no thanks on the cleaning. I am skipping it for now, and have no desire to get it done. I would rather have my mismatched teeth and hide at home than to undergo all that. I do appreciate all input though...maybe, just maybe in a few years I will be brave enough...until then....I'll just keep getting by :shame:

Obviously your decision, you could try going and just having a chat with the hygienist first, I did that. Laid down all my ground rules. Made her understand I can't stand having my gums probed, prodded, scraped and I needed a good expereince to continue to maintain my teeth. She was able to do that.

Anyway do all you can like brushing with a good solid toothbrush, best is an electrical one, flossing, and perhaps using a waterpik. You'd be surprised how well that combination keeps the staining down.

No problem on the questions, it was all this boards support I was able to get the first step done! And yes it was me. I don't like the out of it feeling and fear of side effects. I swore after I took the first sedation, I would never take those types of meds again! Plus to make matters worse,I have such bad TMD issues, it is miserable to swallow pills, since my swallow function is dysfunctional!
Thanks for answering my questions. :) IV sedation or nitrous would avoid the swallowing issue, but not the fear of feeling out-of-it. RP's advice about talking to your hygienist first is good too.

But your mind seems made up, so I guess I'll have to admit defeat! I do feel I ought to say something in answer to this, though:
I would rather have my mismatched teeth and hide at home than to undergo all that.
I'm sure you know this already, but having a cleaning done is about much more than changing the appearance of your teeth; in fact, it's really about the health of your mouth. The nicer-looking teeth you end up with are just an added benefit! Removing the tartar from your teeth is important because it helps to prevent gum disease (and therefore possible future pain/treatment), and unfortunately it's really something only a dentist/hygienist can do.

Still, as RP says, ultimately it's your decision. And I completely understand avoidance due to fear, and how hard it is to break out of that - I've been there! I do think you're stronger than you realise - don't forget all you've managed so far, and how impossible that had seemed, yet you did it! Maybe you'll find you can feel brave enough sooner than you expect. :XXLhug:

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my questions. :) IV sedation or nitrous would avoid the swallowing issue, but not the fear of feeling out-of-it. RP's advice about talking to your hygienist first is good too.

But your mind seems made up, so I guess I'll have to admit defeat! I do feel I ought to say something in answer to this, though:

I'm sure you know this already, but having a cleaning done is about much more than changing the appearance of your teeth; in fact, it's really about the health of your mouth. The nicer-looking teeth you end up with are just an added benefit! Removing the tartar from your teeth is important because it helps to prevent gum disease (and therefore possible future pain/treatment), and unfortunately it's really something only a dentist/hygienist can do.

Still, as RP says, ultimately it's your decision. And I completely understand avoidance due to fear, and how hard it is to break out of that - I've been there! I do think you're stronger than you realise - don't forget all you've managed so far, and how impossible that had seemed, yet you did it! Maybe you'll find you can feel brave enough sooner than you expect. :XXLhug:

You guys are all amazing and so caring, and it's great because it's everyone who understands the fear. As of now I can't go through with it, but maybe I'll change my mind down the road...way down the road!

I had to reply to this thread because today I had my teeth cleaned for the first time in probably 18 years. I was totally freaked out to do it and have vehemently avoided it. This morning when I woke up, I wanted to stay in bed under the covers, like, forever.
But even more, I don't want to lose any more teeth or have this advanced gum disease get worse, so I went. And I'm so glad I did. After the appointment, in addition to being shocked and so happy that I did it, I actually grappled with painful regret that I didn't do it years ago before all this damage was done. I could have saved my teeth. I am at the beginning of a long road to heal my gums and repair my teeth after years of neglect and that is just such a hard thing to face.
Fortunately, the hygienist was a total saint. I actually apologized at the beginning because I was so embarrassed that she was going to have to do so much work and I would have been disgusted if our roles were reversed. She was kind and gentle and was not judgmental at all. She knows I have a phobia, this was my second appointment.
I talked to her beforehand about being anxious and she told me what was going to happen. So far, I have burst into tears within the first few minutes of every appointment. But, I just let that move right on through and when I recovered, she sprayed my gums with something that was numbing so the cleaning did not hurt AT ALL (although it tasted bad, it wasn't intolerable). It was a little uncomfortable, but not painful.
I feel really freaked out at the dentist laying down, spitting, having a hard time swallowing (which feels like drowning), not being able to talk and having anything in my mouth especially instruments. So, about every 10 minutes, she would ask if I needed a break and I took her up on a few. She just let me sit up, rinse or whatever and it was really nice. I just kept telling myself that this is what I need to do to start making things better. The instrument was apparently an ultrasonic scaler which was nothing like what I remembered going through like, 2 decades ago. I used a 'thumbs up' and a stop signal, which really helped me feel like I wasn't totally out of control. I also listened to my own music with headphones and that was really helpful because it gave me something to focus on and distract me. Deep breaths and not letting my thoughts run away with me was useful too. I sort of had myself convinced that getting a cleaning was something I could not tolerate, was going to somehow break or make my teeth fall out or otherwise kill me. I'm a little crazy, because it wasn't any of those things.
I have a lingual wire, which is a permanent retainer across the bottom of my 6 front teeth. There was a deposit of tartar there that was very bad and it is completely gone. My teeth (the 20 I still have) feel unbelievably smooth and amazingly clean, it is really strange. I can't believe the agony that avoiding this caused me and actually doing something about it was so much easier in comparison to that. I have a lot more work to have done, but deciding and starting to take care of it has actually changed my life. I never thought I could do it, but today, I did.
I hope that you find peace on your way through this difficult time. Best of luck to you and keep coming for support.

Back