• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello.

K

Kevin

Hello I'm new here and to be honest I've come here out of hope more than anything else.

Let me start off by saying I'm 28 years old and my name is Kevin and I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne England.

Okay I have huge problems with my teeth and I really hope I can get some help/advise.

My teeth: I'm pretty much toothless on the top row of teeth they have all rotted away, my bottom row has about 6 teeth left but are starting to fade away.

I've smoked since I was 15 and smoked weed for about 10 years which is why I think they are the way they are. I've been clean from weed for 4 years but I'm left with my bad teeth.

I've not seen a dentist in about 12 years and at that point there were not so bad.

I'm really afraid to go see one now due to thinking they might not be able to help me and I'll be stuck like this forever. I know if I could get help, what I would need is denchers.

I'm alone,and never really leave the house due to the way I look and really need some sort of help.

If anyone here could help in any sort of way, I'd be ever so helpful.

Thank you for reading if you have.

-Kev xx

Welcome, Kev! Congratulations for coming!
I am in the US, so can't offer specific advice about how to find a dentist in the UK but so many people here are I am sure someone is bound to chime in.
I would say this, see if anyone you know can recommend a good dentist. Otherwise, I would also investigate possibilities around where you are for good dental care. Just check it out, don't obligate yourself to do anything further. Once you identify a dentist you 'would' go to, you can think about whether you could go.
I had been away from the dentist for 15-20 years until recently deciding I couldn't live like this anymore. I had false start, but then found a great dentist. I actually had a cleaning for the first time today (well, yesterday now :). I totally recommend trying to seek dental care. Honestly, making that decision has changed my life in such a good way and even though there is so much work to be done I know that it is finally headed in the right direction.
Good luck to you and hope to see you more around here!

Thank you for you post.

I'm not very sure on dentists in my area, I think I will have to look up online to know if there are any around.

I'm just afraid to go due to the state they are in and what they would say to me.

I really need to go though, because I'm going nowhere in life right now I'm afraid to talk to people never mind trying to find a life girlfriend.

Hopefully I can find a dentist that is nice and can understand and also help.

I'm off to bed now because I've had no sleep all night and its now 7am here, I will be back here tomorrow and maybe more people have posted help/ advise.

Thank you, Kev x

What you need is a little support and coinfidence. You are taking the right step by getting some treatment now, so what you need is a good understanding dentist who can give you a good assessment as to what is best for you. To be honest, your teeth may be in better shape than you think and there may be a treatment plan to restore and recover what you have - its surprising what can be done to these days with modern techniques and materials. There is no way you are going to be stuck and there is absolutly no reason why would should not end up with a confident smile whatever your dentist decides.

You should not think for one moment that any dentist is going to belittle or judge you in any way. You can be sure that they have seen worse than you and are trained to deal with whatever state your teeth are in.

You're doing the right thing by getting things sorted now. Teeth do not heal themselves or get better, they just get worse and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble if they get too bad with toothache - by that time you're options will be very limited.

Go for it - we can give you as much support and information you need. You're doing the right thing!! Good luck with it!

Hello Graham and thank you for your post.

Okay so I'm not sure a Dentist would have seen worse teeth than mine, like I said in the OP I have zero teeth left on my top row and I've got 6 (just counted lol) on the bottom row.

Toothache? I've had so much toothache in the last few years which I've took many painkillers, some days I've took up to 30.

I don't get much toothache at all now, maybe because most of them have fell out, I dunno.

Sorry I feel like a pain right now.

Just so many things I think about if I do go see somebody. But if I want some kind of life, I have to.

Hi Kev, London calling!

Posting on here is a great first step. I was too anxious to do that until recently, when I'd been and seen a dentist and already had quite a lot of treatment.

Best thing, if you can, is to focus on what you want to happen next. I understand how your thoughts always turn to the state of your teeth when you think about getting treatment; I'm the same. But if you possibly can, it's best not to pay too much attention when your mind goes there. Practice giving more weight to helpful thoughts, ones that won't stop you doing what you so clearly want to do.

I learned this in cognitive behaviour therapy and it really helped me get to a dentist (although it was quite a learning curve and I never managed to do it all that well - well enough, though!).

I drew up a checklist of steps, and gave myself a treat whenever I managed to tick one off the list. So your next step might be to draw up a shortlist of possible dentists, for example. Be kind to yourself, go step by step and keep your eyes on the prize. You'll get there in the end.

There's a really good book called 'The Confidence Gap' by Russ Harris which I continue to use to help me achieve the things I find difficult. It's available as a download from Amazon, in case you want to have a look.

Hope this helps. Keep posting, too - that really helps!

Hi Kev. :welcome:

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time at the minute. Glad you found us here. :)

If you haven't already, have a read of this page: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/embarrassment/ , and have a look at the pictures of the 'worst teeth' a dentist might see. So many people on this forum have been worried about seeing a dentist due to embarrassment, and imagined their teeth must be the worst a dentist willl have seen, but it really is highly unlikely. I've never known any of these posters to have actually found it to be the case - if you read through some of the journals and other support threads, you can see how their stories turned out.

Also, as Graham says, no good dentist will ever judge or criticise you about your teeth. Remember, it's their job to take unhealthy mouths and make them healthy again - they go to work precisely to help people like you. All they will be thinking when they see inside your mouth is how they can make it better.

You've made a big first step in posting here, and you don't need to worry too far ahead now (Dreadnought's advice is really good here) - just concentrate on the next step, which would seem to be finding a good dentist for you. There's a list here of recommendations for the north east from this site (could be NHS or private): https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/forums/north-east.31/ . You can search here for NHS dentists in your area who are taking on new patients: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-dentist . Another good way to find the right dentist is to ask friends or family - a genuine recommendation from someone you know can tell you a lot more than the best-sounding website. If I haven't already over-linked you :rolleyes:, there are some more tips on finding a dentist here: Find a dentist for nervous patients

When you do find one or more you like the sound of, you can just drop them an email (or call them, if you're braver than me!) and explain you've not been to the dentist for a while, and you're very anxious about going. You can go into as much or as little detail as you're comfortable with, and you don't need to give your name at this stage. When they reply to you, hopefully, there'll be one who you like the sound of, and you can feel able to take that next step and book an appointment. Bear in mind, even then, if you go and don't like anything about your experience, you can leave and never go back! I seem to say this a lot, but it's true: there are genuinely nice dentists out there, who would love to help you, and you can find one.

Keep us posted.

Hey guys.

Okay so just now I've found an dentist: https://villagedentalpractice.co.uk

Its seems like a nice place and is just up the road from me.

What I have done is took Pianimo's advice and sent them an e-mail and hopefully I will get something back from them.

This is the E-mail Is sent:

"Hello.

My Name I Kevin and I'm 28 years old, I life in the Swalwell area which is just down the road from you guys. I'm writing this E-mail because I'm very nervous to phone or to even walk in to your dental practice.

I have lots of problems with my teeth which is why I really need your help,

My teeth: I have zero teeth left on the top row of teeth they have all rotted away, my bottom row has about 6 teeth left but are starting to fade away.

Why I have got to the stage is because I've smoked for years, eating very bad and have not even looked after them which to be honest is my own fault why I'm like this.

I've also not been to a dentist in years, I went to one about 1 and half years ago in Winlaton to try and sort this mess out and he did nothing but make me feel very small and it was like he was laughing at me, in which I never went back. I tried to make steps but I was knocked back.

If you think you could help me please get back to me to make an appointment.

E-mail me back or even phone me on: .

Thank you."

I'm really hoping they get back to me, I don't know what to think about it all. I keep dreaming about my teeth being fixed and the things I can do when they are done. Hopefully this is the first step to this dream.

Also I never said to guys about me going to the dentist about year ago, I just feel silly about it. now you know. :)

<3

That's great - you've taken another important step forward. This will help you develop the faith that you can go forward with this thing, even though it's difficult. Every step counts.

Hello Kevin,
I really understand how you feel as I'm in a similar situation which I'll explain elsewhere so as not to encroach on your thread.
Well done for taking the first and second steps on what may seem a long road, this will I hope give you confidence to keep moving forward and improve your life.

Keep us posted and remember you're not alone, if you need to discuss anything please feel free.
Good luck with that dentist.
Colin.

Wow Kev, that was quick! ;D Well done for taking the plunge and sending that email - that's great! Hope you hear back soon, and it's a positive response.

I keep dreaming about my teeth being fixed and the things I can do when they are done. Hopefully this is the first step to this dream.

Yes, it is - you're now on your way! No matter what happens with these dentists (and I really hope they turn out to be the right place for you), you've made the first step closer to that dream!

Last edited:
Thank you Pianimo you're very kind. <3

Okay just an update:

I got a phone call from the dentist, the lady says she got my e-mail and she would be happy to help me and said she will be friendly and won't push me into anything I don't want. She was bloody lovely to me and sounded really nice.

I have an appointment next Tuesday at 8:25 in the morning so they can have a look at my teeth and talk about what can/will be done.

I'm really looking forward to it just because she sounded so nice on the phone.

I'm a little bit nervous but more than anything else I'm excited.

Kevin

I'm amazed that you were able to get things happening so quickly after posting on this website. It took me more than 3 years (that is not a misprint) to make an appointment with a dentist. That happened this week and the weight off the shoulders is massive! For me things were not as bad as I had expected. I was handled with patience and didn't feel pushed around at all, or made to feel a nuisance (as I had been when I last tried to get back into going to the dentist about 15 years ago).

Good luck with it all.

Back