• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

GA with no Local Anesthetic! some questions!

G

gazriv

Hey! glad I found this forum. I am scheduled to have GA on the 28th feb, 4 days from now :(!! I'm having 4 teeth extracted and 8 fillings. 3 semi molars at gum line top jaw and a 2nd molar on bottom which broke in half!!

My phobia is with the local anesthetic and have opted to have none(cant deal with having a numbed mouth) I'm wondering if anyone else has done this? How painful is it going to be when I wake up? My main fear is how sore and weird my mouth is going to feel after it's all done.

Also, will I be able to drink as soon as I come round from the GA? And will I wake up with gauze's in my mouth? And do you get much swelling from the extractions? as in will be cheeks swell up like they do when people have wisdom teeth removed?

sorry for silly questions but these are some of my concerns hope i can get some answers! thanks... :confused:

With the GA they should be able to give you some pain medicine in the IV before you wake up so that you are not in pain, as well as some medicine to keep you from being nauseated. Ask your anesthesiologist. You may have some gauze initially but usually they make sure you can drink in recovery before you are discharged.

Might be some swelling, but shouldn't be as much as wisdom teeth = those swell when they are impacted and there is quite a bit of soft tissue trauma and cutting into the bone.

good luck, let us know how you do

rp

Thanks for the reply!

OMG 3 days to go. So nervous now. I just hope it goes okay and I wake up! I had a general 3 years ago when I broke my arm badly so I have some idea what it's like but it's still scary to have to go through it again :(

I have had severe anxiety since I was 12 and that stopped me going to the dentist and getting any treatment done. I'm only 22 and it sucks to have teeth like this. Rotting horrible breath from decay. Yuck. Can't wait to get them out of my mouth!

Yeah I'll post once it's done! :scared:

Good for you for overcoming your fear and doing something about- you deserve a nice healthy smile!

I'm having teeth extracted on February 28th, too. I guess we're going to be phobic extraction buddies :) I'm afraid of the pain after, too. I hope we both come back here saying it was better than expected.

FWIW I've had numerous fillings done without a local OR general. I used to be phobic of both (I'm sort of ok-ish with locals now). The fillings won't bother you after. Any discomfort will be from the extractions.

Omg I done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 teeth removed ahhhh

8 fillings!

Mouth is full of blood right now but im home :)))))))

Have some stitches in one of them as it was a pain to remove apparently.

Nearly bottled it at the last minute but next thing i knew I was in recovery feeling very sleepy lol. No pain so far but they gave me some pain relief while I was under. So happy I done it :) Finally can get a healthy smile!!:jump:

Congratulations. Spoil yourself the next few days and get some rest! Heal fast.

rp

Thank you RP! Just woke up from a nap. Feels weird but its ok. :thumbsup:

Ink how did you get on today?

Back