Thread: Wisdom teeth with light CONSCIOUS sedation

Smile Wisdom teeth with light CONSCIOUS sedation

Unlike many people who are terrified of being aware during oral surgery, I am terrified of not being aware. Sedation creeps me out. It took me 15 years to work up the nerve to get any of my wisdom teeth removed because I was so scared. When my tooth started bothering me a few months ago, there were a few moments when I felt it'd be easier to die than deal with getting them out.

I also used to be afraid of locals - scared of side effects - so I had many fillings done with NOTHING. I am ok with locals now.

So, anyway the surgery. I'm 30. I was getting 1 erupted upper and 1 impacted lower (partial bony) removed. I took 1mg Ativan beforehand so I could get to my appointment because I was *freaking out.* My (amazingly kind and compassionate) oral surgeon and I agreed to a very light dose of Versed. I'm not afraid of IVs or needles at all, but I can tell you that all I felt when the needle was inserted was a quick little pinch. Nothing bothersome to me. He injected 1mg Versed, and nothing else was used in my IV except a dose of amoxicillin. I didn't use any nitrous. I was alert and aware the entire time but relaxed. Just how I wanted it. Before he started the surgery he put in another 1.5mg Versed.

The surgery itself was awesome. The Versed relaxed me so I was able to just enjoy the experience. First he gave me a shot of epinephrine-free carbocaine on the upper gum and cheek and then the lower. Like I said, I have no fear of needles so the tiny pinch didn't bother me a bit.

The upper tooth came out in a minute or less - I felt nothing. He pretty much just pulled it right out. The lower required an incision which I didn't feel, and a bit of bone removal. I suppose the drill was a bit loud, but it certainly didn't upset me a bit and it was totally painless. Bit of painless yanking, tooth popped out. I got two stitches over the lower site. I found it all completely painless. They gave me my teeth to keep after.

I spent years absolutely terrified of getting my wisdom teeth out, but due to the magic of Versed and local anesthesia, it was absolutely nothing and while in the recovery room I texted to my mother that the experience had been "awesome." Imagine that!

Left for home with my family, after I'd rested 15 minutes or so.

My tips: Wear cargo pants to surgery so you can put an iPod in one of the side pockets and listen to relaxation music/nature sounds. Also, if you are afraid of dry socket, buy the "Red Cross Toothache Kit" from any drug store. It contains clove oil packing, which is what oral surgeon use to pack dry sockets. From all accounts I read online, it provides INSTANT pain relief, so it gives me peace of mind to have it on hand.

Update regarding recovery: I had very little pain the first two days, and ibuprofen and tylenol were more than adequate to cover it. Day three and four were a little rougher, as warned by my surgeon, with soreness, pain in adjacent teeth, and a very stiff jaw. However, at no point did I feel any need to take anything other than OTC pain relievers. On day 9 the pain dramatically receded. After that I was annoyed by the huge holes in my mouth but not in any pain. At no point was the pain severe; only annoying or bothersome at most.

Edit 2: At three weeks I started to feel a sharp stabby pain in the gum around my lower socket. It was probably more intense than the original surgical pain. It hurt even to move my cheek. Finally I looked in there with a flashlight and saw a leftover, very sharp, bone shard working its way out of the gum. I pulled it out with tweezers. Sweet relief! Apparently this is a fairly common occurrence and once I got it out I was just fine

Edit 3: At week 5 I noticed two more small bone shards emerging around the socket and pulled them out with tweezers. These ones didn't hurt though. The socket itself is filling in nicely though a hole remains and there is no pain left.

Overall the surgery was a total snap, and recovery was not fun but not miserable.

Hope this helps someone. It helped me to read all your stories beforehand
      Last edited by Ink; 4th April 2012 at 04:32. Reason: Updating information as recovery progresses

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ink For This Useful Post:

anxiousgirl83 (1st February 2013), Carys (29th February 2012), HermitAtAYoungAge (11th August 2013), Patti (26th June 2012), Sekiseishi (2nd March 2012), tabatha7 (28th November 2012)

Thumbs up Re: Wisdom teeth with light CONSCIOUS sedation

Hi everyone, I've been reading this thread and many others like it over the last few days while panicking massively over having to have a molar extracted under IV sedation, and now after having it done i thought i'd just come back on to say how totally brilliantly it went in case anyone in the future is doing what i was doing on here last night! Basically my worries were that the local anaesthetic wouldnt work and i'd be in pain but unable to tell the dentist due to being out of it, or that the procedure would indeed be very painful and that the dentist would rely on the amnesia effect as I wouldn't remember the pain anyway. This is definitely not the case! Lots of people are saying they remember nothing of the procedure, I was vaguely aware of what was going on and could hear the team talking and occasionally was aware of some slight pressure on the tooth (but no pain whatsoever!), and the 20 minute procedure went by in what seemed like less than 5. My mum was there the entire time, so although my memory of the event is a tad foggy she has assured me that at no point was i distressed or in pain, but that i was completely relaxed. From what I remember of it, I know that i was totally OK with what the dentists were doing, but that i was definitely with it enough to tell them if there had been any pain or problems, so if anyone is worried about not being able to communicate with the dentist if you are uncomfortable while under sedation, this just isn't an issue as although i was really relaxed i am totally sure that had i wanted to I could have spoken up and got the dentist to stop/give me more LA at any time. The after effects haven't been bad at all for me either, I was a bit silly (giggling incessantly but not knowing why, which my mum found amusing!) for about 5 minutes, then totally fine but still numb from the LA for about an hour, then after that i was a little drowsy so i slept it off for a while. When i woke up the LA had worn off and i had quite a bit of pain in my jaw, but this was soon alleviated by some painkillers (codeine is brilliant, properly gets the pain away!) and and ice pack pressed to the cheek, which is brillliant for taking down both swelling and bleeding from the socket, though i havent actually had much of either. Basically the whole thing was fantastic and i really think that anyone who is very very anxious about dental work/has had bad experiences with not getting numb enough under LA in the past would really benefit from it. Good luck to anyone going for it soon! Ellie xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EllieLED For This Useful Post:

anxiousgirl83 (1st February 2013)

Default Re: Wisdom teeth with light CONSCIOUS sedation

My dentist prescribed Ativan for me too. I was no stranger to Ativan, though. I've been prescribed Ativan for sleeping disorders and anxiety before by my GP. I've never heard of the IV drug you used but I used niterous for an extraction and it made me totally relaxed. I knew where I was and why I was there but beyond that I didn't care about anything. Like you, I DO NOT want to be knocked out. So the niterous, to me, was kind of like being knocked out without being knocked out totally. And the niterous and Ativan combo was niiiiice.
      Patti

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Patti For This Useful Post:

anxiousgirl83 (1st February 2013)

Ink, I wish you were still around. I would love to ask you more about your procedure. It encourages me that you didn't feel any pain when they did the bone removal.

Smile Re: Wisdom teeth with light CONSCIOUS sedation

It s soooo good to hear all these good stories
      I m having 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morn, I m having IV sedation so I hope I don t feel or remember much about it
      Hope I can post my success story soon!!

Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by anxiousgirl83 View Post
      It s soooo good to hear all these good stories
      I m having 3 wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morn, I m having IV sedation so I hope I don t feel or remember much about it
      Hope I can post my success story soon!!

Leslie

You will good luck