• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wizzie removal success stories Mega Thread

Re: Against all odds my four wisdom teeth extraction actually resulted in something pleasant

WOW! That's awesome! So happy for you!

I had something kind of 'similar' happen to me. I had to get an extraction under general anesthesia (molar 30). I told my boyfriend to get an after dentist video like all the ones on YouTube we thought were funny. My 2 videos (I had implant surgery 6 months later). The videos are hysterical. I love re-watching them because they are really funny and show me at my goofiest, and I remembered how scared I was before the surgery, and to see myself all goofy is really reassuring. In the first video, I referred to a stuffed animal as being 'real'. my boyfriend had to tell me he wasn't real and was just a stuffed animal.

Thanks for sharing
In about a week I get two out by General anesthesia
Really really really nervous about it, I don't deal well at a dentist office
I reply back to u twice and I never can get you're reply
Please contact me on FB at Samantha Lyn Withee
Thanks

You can contact each other by pm on this forum if you wish to, click on the persons name at the top of their post, then click send a pm. It is best not to give out your email addresses on the forum as it leaves you open to mail you might not want. If you pm someone then the information will remain private to the person you have written to.

Hello.

I have general anxiety, so it is not just the dentists that scare me - but they do scare me the most. That's why I always end up at the dentist office when I can't even speak from pain.

I did have oral surgery when they extracted my upper left fifth tooth. It was 5 years ago.
Last year (after many months of curing the infection) they finally pulled out my lower seventh tooth.

Now they are preparing me for surgery for my upper right wisdom tooth. It grew up fully, but its direction was horizontally toward the cheek. It didn't cause me troubles, so I left it like that. One day, it broke - fully, just below the gum line. It didn't hurt - so no going to the dentist.

Few days ago, it started hurting like crazy. I took ketoprofen and it did give me relief. I visited the dentist and he gave me one shot dexamethasone and for seven days I have to take serapeptase each morning 1 hour before breakfast.

At Friday they will do xray to see what's going on inside and then they will schedule me surgery.
I am petrified.

In my country they don't give us IV sedation so I can't have that one (I would sign with both hands if it was possible) so I will have to survive with novocaine I guess. Last time it took 4.5 hours into surgery :(

Now I am not in very big pain, just that throbbing sensation and little pain when I press on the tooth next to it, I do take ketoprofen now and then just in case (I know it's wrong, but I can't stand one more pain attack), but as the days go by, it is more terrifying. It is easier when I go with rush and one I get novocaine I feel relief, but this preparations make mi sick :(

Wisdom teeth? Gone!

So since Saturday I had been panicking about my impending oral surgery on Monday (the 23rd), that lead to a serious lack of sleep and intense panic attacks. By Sunday night I was a complete wreck, I kept crying and saying ‘I can’t do this, I can’t do it…“ I had made peace with the surgery itself as I was told I wouldn't be awake for it anyway but I have an insane fear of needles and had to get an IV, which I was promptly losing my mind over.

One of my friends stayed up all night to talk to me and then proceeded to message me all morning until I went in. Monday morning was weird, I was a lot more calm in the morning than I was the night before - that is until I arrived at the hospital. I had already taken the Valium I was prescribed thirty minutes before my appointment (like I was instructed) but it had yet to kick in.
At that point I was clinging to my mom and my aunt crying. There was a lady there who’s daughter was also having teeth pulled and she told me I would be just fine, that her daughter had been crying and panicking like I was and she didn’t even notice the IV went in.

That made me feel a little better but then the tech came out and I about lost it. He was really sweet and guided me back, let my mom and aunt go with me. Once we were in the room I saw all the equipment, the IV and needles and told them, "I can’t do this.”

So here comes my oral surgeon. He was really nice and didn’t make it out like I was wasting his time (as my dentist had done to me so often before), simply told me “I need to get your surgery started. You’re a big girl, you can do this.” so something about the way he talked made me do as he said, “get in the chair, you can breathe some nitrous.” okay. “He’s gonna hold your arm so we can find a vein.” okay. “I’m gonna spray it real quick.” okay. “It’s going in now.” okay. I didn’t feel it at first until he couldn’t find my vein. The tech kept telling me I was doing fine and that it was okay, when it was done he helped me lay back in the chair and said I did good. The last thing I remember was telling them I felt sick and that was it.

It felt like a minute when I heard the tech talking to me and I was waking up. The surgery itself only took less than an hour, after the tech went to get my mom one of the ladies from the front desk came in to sit with me so I wouldn't be alone. My aunt went to get my prescriptions and my mom was sitting next to me when I really came to. The tech brought me in a blanket, handed me my stuffed owl and got me my glasses and kept telling me I did really good. I guess at some point he said my mom was going to get me a milkshake on our way home but I kept saying I wanted Ocean Water from Sonic instead so he told my mom that's what I needed and every time I'd say Ocean Water he'd agree, lol.

I asked if I got to keep my teeth and he told me my mom had them. So my mom shows me three of them (one was impacted and had to be broke into seven pieces so it just got tossed) and I just glared at them and told them, “I hate you.”

Just as my aunt got back he changed my gauze and then helped me into a wheelchair, wheeled me outside and got me in the car; so as we drive off I tell my mom “he’s cute.” In my defense, he was.
I was so terrified and panicked for this procedure but it was really nothing at all. I'm glad my surgeon chose IV sedation for me, even though I hate IVs it was really the best choice. I was out within a second of it going in and I remember nothing! I know it's scary and it can be absolutely nerve wracking to deal with but I promise once it's over, you'll be glad you did it!
It's been three days and still haven't had a lot of swelling or a lot of pain. :)

Widom Teeth Removal 6/4/16

Hello!

I just wanted to say, I found this forum while frantically looking for good news the morning of my surgery. I had been putting off getting my wisdom teeth pulled for AGES (mostly because we thought I'd be one of the lucky ones who got to avoid it) but the time came where one of my upper wisdom teeth began to decay, to the point where there was almost no crown left :cry: And the other ones were beginning to show signs of decay as well. I inherited my mom's awful and weak teeth!

I was scheduled this Friday morning at 9am. I woke up SHAKING I was so scared! I knew they were going to put me under, and the part that scared me was either not waking up from the anesthesia, or being completely loopy and out of control afterwards. Oh, and the swelling. I didn't like the idea of becoming a chipmunk.

Anyway, I found this forum, and it was able to calm me down enough so that I didn't go into hysterics (I have anxiety and one of my main fears is health-related issues.)

The drive to the oral surgeons was only about 5 minutes, thankfully. The building is really nice and calming, really pretty, but everyone who asked "How are you doing?" I answered "I'm nervous."

They got me back into the room pretty quickly, and the nurse started talking to me, saying she had anxiety too and so she knew how I felt, but I was doing better than a lot of people who came through! She said she had a lot of cryers (I can definitely see why) and even a few people who bolted from the room! Talking to her helped to calm me down, but when she put the heart monitors on me, it was still pretty high!

She then started the laughing gas. OH I love that stuff! I could hear my heartrate decreasing as it took effect. I was still nervous, but I didn't feel like crying anymore. I was coherent as well. She asked if it was too strong, and I remember it made my vocal chords feel heavy, and that made me nervous, so I had her turn it down just a bit.

Then the doctor came in and explained what he was going to do. A few more nurses walked in as well, but I hardly noticed them. The doctor tapped around my hand for a bit trying to find a good vein to put the IV in, and I told him I had a really good vein in my arm, and he agreed, so he put it there. I felt the pinch, he said a few more words to me, but that's all I remember.

I know they walked me into the recovery room. I don't know if I dreamt me saying "I feel tipsy" like the nurse said I would, but they laid me down on the bed and next thing I knew, my mom was there. That entire thing feels like a dream, but she said I hugged her and asked a few questions. I don't remember at all! I remember my mom leading me into the car, telling me to be careful cause I was really unsteady. We drove by Rite Aid to get my prescriptions, and then we came home and mom took out my gauze, gave me some pudding, and then put new gauze back in. I fell asleep for a bit later, but I remember the rest of the day and I was able to get up and walk around, laugh, smile, all that.

It's now 4 days past surgery. I started eating more solid foods like Mac N Cheese and fish yesterday. I'm more paranoid about developing dry socket or an infection. I never had any swelling, but my jaw is still pretty sore, nothing ibuprofen can't handle, though.

I also stopped taking the prescribed pain kills after the first day as well.

I hope anyone who is dreading this reads my story and feels calmed by it, like I did with others! And I wish you all an easy and speedy recovery! For me right now, the hardest part is not being able to eat the food I want! :)

10 Day Update!

So it's been 10 days since I've gotten my wisdom teeth pulled, but it feels a lot longer!

I'm no longer taking antibiotics, I finished those a few days ago. I still have very VERY slight pain in the right side of my jaw when I open it too wide, especially in the mornings, but it goes away during the day the more I use it, so I know in a matter of time that will go away as well.

I'm almost back to a completely normal diet. I even had McDonalds fries and nuggets today, and drank soda through a straw! (So satisfying after not being able to do it for a week!)

The lower holes are almost completely closed in already, just a slight opening still remains. The stitches I had on the bottom fell out after about maybe, 5-6 days? Those were becoming really annoying so I'm glad I don't have to deal with those anymore!

The top ones are still holes that get food stuck in them, but the food is easy to remove with my tongue and I'm still doing nightly salt water rinses to be sure. I'll probably continue those for a bit just to be safe.

I'm beginning to very gingerly brush back there. I have gotten a little blood, but it's not painful or anything, so I think I'm alright.

Overall, my experience has gone much better than I anticipated! I also never developed dry socket or an infection. If anyone is worried about it, just follow the directions the dentist gives you and be smart about what you do, you'll be just fine.

I'll check in again next week, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear for most things. I'm not eating chips or popcorn (Even though my dad made some :cry:). I might try chips in a couple weeks, but I'm waiting the full time (6 weeks) until I attempt popcorn again. I'm also still careful with crunch stuff, keeping it in the front of my mouth while I chew.

It's not as scary as you think guys, and I was TERRIFIED two Friday's ago. You'll be okay :)

My journey for IV sedation and all 4 wisdom teeth removed

Hi all, I wanted to share my story bc this site really helped me prep mentally for awhile. It's the best site out there..google can be SCARY. I didn't even really search much but luckily this site popped up in the early stages so I stuck to it. Reading people's stories helped me so I thought it be fair to share my experience as well.

So today I start with what I went through Tuesday morning (it is now Thursday morning) : the wisdom teeth extraction. This really was a big deal because I've been putting it off for ten years. I've gotten cavities filled on those teeth but never extracted. I had an appointment set up last July, exactly one year ago, but canceled it out of fear..why? Because he was going to only give me local so I would be awake and I had my reservations about him. Finally a year later, it was decided I would be put under IV sedation and just handle it (I also have never been put under before so I was apprehensive).

The week prior, I was nervous sort of but it was just an after thought. The appointment was scheduled for Tuesday. I awoke Monday morning feeling super anxious. I had talked to friends and family about it all but for some reason, it still wasn't enough comfort. I had also been perusing this site often. I was anxious, forced myself to eat, but by the evening - I barely stomached dinner. All night I tried to remind myself of everything logical that friends had told me but I couldn't fall asleep. I was out of bed at 9 am with really bad nausea - the worst I've ever had. But somehow managed a shower. I was in tears off and on yesterday morning. My family is awesome - all of them were there. I really wanted to run out of the chair.

This is one of those times that you don't remember much bc fear takes over. I could say all the logic in the world to myself but it didn't matter - I was SCARED. Why do we even have wisdom teeth?! Oh yeah, so that prompted me to research and FYI:

Anthropologists believe wisdom teeth, or the third set of molars, were the evolutionary answer to our ancestor’s early diet of coarse, rough food – like leaves, roots, nuts and meats – which required more chewing power and resulted in excessive wear of the teeth. The modern diet with its softer foods, along with marvels of modern technologies such as forks, spoons and knives, has made the need for wisdom teeth nonexistent. As a result, evolutionary biologists now classify wisdom teeth as vestigial organs, or body parts that have become function-less due to evolution.

So basically - it's irrelevant to us. So anyway - I'm sitting in the chair, they've leaned it back all the way. I had to take out my contacts so being able to see NOTHING but blur wasn't the best thing. Also attached was the oxygen tube thing that you breathe out of from your nostrils so that helps. Again, I've never been in a situation like this so I think that's part of where the fear was coming from..fear of the unknown. They hook you up with some straps on your chest to monitor heart rate and then put this cool stuff on your arm to numb the site where they place the IV. The oral surgeon couldn't find my veins so I was already shaking in the chair but I am used to blood draws so I told him they usually find my vein on the opposite arm. Which he then did. As soon as that was done, the surgeon said to let him know when I start to feel different (they were giving me a relaxer, before the anesthesia). 10 seconds later, my throat started to feel really warm and I told him that..that was the last thing I remember before being woken up.

I've heard a ton of different things that people feel when waking up but for me, I knew where I was but I felt SUPERRRRR drunk. I was also shivering and really cold. I don't think I've ever even been in that situation but I couldn't walk so he had to wait a few minutes before helping me up again to move me to the recovery room. I was really tired. I do remember the surgeon bringing my dad back to see me, and I was aware -- the nurse also brought a blanket so that helped. My sister and mom came back one at a time and I was aware of it all, but feeling loopy and so tired. And it was hard to swallow bc of the gauze in my mouth. Eventually was okay enough to be wheeled down..the loopy feeling lasted a few hours. I've heard people having other reactions but I felt in control still

Having to force myself to eat pudding while still numb was hard..I needed to start Ibuprofen but not on an empty stomach. So that took some time. I opted for Advil liqui gels bc it was easier to swallow than a 600 mg IB tablet. The gauze had to be replaced every so often bc of the bleeding but it stopped after a few hours. Icing my face all day helped too.

The day after (24 hours to be exact) - I have learned that if there is anyone who needs to kick a sugar habit: eat nothing but sugar for 24 hours and you'll be done. The hardest part right now for me is not being able to eat much!! There is only so much you can eat of pudding, yogurt, ice cream, apple sauce, milk shakes.. ate some mashed potatoes today but really craving something else. Biscuits? Soft food that won't get stuck in the pockets??

Anyway, recovery is still tough but I have to say that what I felt 2 days prior leading up to the surgery was torture. At the same time though, I look back and I can appreciate the experience bc it's made me stronger. I've faced a fear. And why was it a fear? I feared the what-ifs but I also feared the unknown. Anyone can tell you it's not a scary thing but it doesn't matter bc you're still going to feel what you feel. Only through one's own experience can you be enlightened to see that what you really thought was going to be so sad..actually wasn't. I would recommend being put under for wisdom teeth over local anesthesia ANY day.

I am the biggest baby ever so..don't worry!! <3 If I did it, you can too! :)

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write of your experience. It will help a lot of others that are waiting to have their wisdom teeth out. It will also help people that are afraid of having GA. :butterfly:

I had to join to put in my two cents... Several years ago I had a top tooth that had rotted away (a huge hole in it...I still have the pic of it that my dentist let me take home). He took that one out, a couple years later, the top tooth on the other side started hurting so badly that I couldn't even function, so I had to decide between continuing to take a bottle of Advil a week or get that tooth out too. Had it removed- pretty easy peasy. So now this June, my bottom right back tooth hurt like crazy for maybe 2 days. And then the scariest thing I've experienced yet...my mouth got locked shut. I could only open a fingers width and according to Google it was going to be permanent and I'd never eat solids again. That's how the over-dramatic, dental-phobic part of me interpreted things anyway. I went to a brand new dentist to try and sort it out and had a day long panic attack beforehand and once I got into the chair I just started sobbing. They took X-rays and got some from my prior dentist and told me that the back tooth was a wisdom tooth and I needed a root canal or extraction or my mouth would keep locking shut. Literally didn't know that I ever got any of my wizzies in but apparently the top 2 I had already extracted and this new problem-tooth were 3 of my 4.

I just got back from the oral surgeon an hour ago from them extracting my bottom one. I know he prob went a little heavy on the local but I managed without being put to sleep or using nitrous. He numbed me, I had a lovely conversation with the assistant about our fitbits and different tastes in furniture and in no time, I was numb and he came back. He used some doodad to keep my mouth open (my eyes were closed). Two tiny bouts of pressure and literally less than 3 minutes and he's like "ok, you're good". I was in the office for a total of 17 minutes for something I panicked about all summer.

So yeah...not that bad at all. Definitely a lot easier than the weeks upon weeks of panic attacks and fright-induced nausea (no really...I lost 12 lbs from this).

Hi everyone!

I got my wizzies removed this morning at 8:30 AM. It is not 10:45 AM and I feel great!

I am 25 and my wisdom teeth started bothering me this Spring. I tried everything to deny the fact that I needed my wizzies out. I got all NY cavaties filled, tricked myself into believing it would go away, etc. But the truth was right there! These babies had to go!

I had 2 upper fully bony impacted wisdom teeth and 2 lower partially erupted wisdom teeth. They were leaning slightly forward. And the lowers HURT. They at least ached every single day, if not more than that.

I went to my dentist, who said I needed it done. I then found a very highly rated oral surgeon and I fully believe this is the way to go! Their office is so popular I had to wait months to get in! And I had panic attacks almost daily about it.

Fast forward to this morning. I actually forced myself to sleep until 5 AM. I woke up to go pee and then just started crying and hyperventilating. My very sweet hubby was so sweet and held me and told me I'd be okay and that I'm so strong.

We left a little early for the appointment and I highly recommend this. The sooner you get there, the sooner its over! I paid my dues, gave my husband a kiss, and went back. They took my vitals and then took me back to the surgery room. I got in a chair with a pillow for my arm and they put a heart rate monitor on my finger, a blood pressure cuff on my arm, and finally, the doctor distracted me and gave me the IV. I DIDN'T EVEN FEEL IT!

The last thing I remember is telling the doctor about my job with a federal contractor for the VA. Then suddenly, someone was handing me ginger ale and said as soon as I drink it, I could go see my hubby. I barely remember walking out but I do remember seeing my husband and going "HI BABE!" all happy.

Right now, I'm chilling on the couch watching Jimmy Fallon with ice packs tied to my face. I'm barely bleeding anymore but trying to let the clots settle before I take a nap. I started to feel a tiny bit of discomfort so I took my first pain meds dose and BOOM, discomfort gone. (I have hydrocodone) I even snap chatted my friends with funny pictures and captions like, "Do you think I'm sexy?"

I was also scared about numbness due to my lowers being pretty much full grown. Even though the anaesthetic isn't quite worn off, I can tell the numbness is that and not a nerve issue! It really is super rare!

If you are scared to do this, PLEASE DONT BE! I was so terrified and it was NOTHING! Go get healthy! You won't regret it!

After avoiding the dentist for over 10 years I started getting jaw pain which I prayed was due to a sinus infection. After 2 rounds of antibiotics that took care of the sinus infection the jaw pain came back. I went to the dentist who said it very well could be my lower left wisdom tooth which was chipped and had a cavity. This wasn't the only one with a cavity. Actually all 4 did and my top right was also chipped. He recommended having all 4 removed and wanted to do with only the numbing shots. Even if 2 of them weren't chipped and one of them didn't have wacky curved roots I wouldn't have allowed that. After explaining to him that it had taken me a decade just to sit in a dental chair and that I have a condition called Essential Tremor that makes my body shake and is worsened with anxiety he agreed that it might be best for me to be put to sleep. Since he doesn't have the ability to do sedation in his office he sent me to an oral surgeon.

That surgeon spent less than 5 minutes with me and I left the consultation even more nervous and uneasy. That anxiety was compounded when my mom called the day before the surgery was to take place with a few questions only to find out that my appointment had changed times and I was scheduled with a different doctor than I had on my original appointment-without even being notified! It was a good thing my mom was the one on the phone before I was crying and shaking uncontrollably. If they did that to me what would they do on the day of the actual appointment?

After I was able to calm myself down I called back to cancel the appointment and called an oral surgeon that my neighbor had recommended. I had a consultation with this new surgeon the very next day. He spent half an hour with me answering questions and explaining things to me. We made an appointment for the procedure to happen the next Tuesday. At the consultation the new surgeon gave me 5 prescriptions (pain, nausea, antibiotics, medicated mouth wash and a pill to relax me the day of the surgery) and told me to have them filled at least one day before the surgery. (The original surgeon hadn't given me any prescriptions and when I asked his office about it I was told I might be given one the day of the procedure if the surgeon felt I needed it.)

On the morning of the surgery I was still a little anxious knowing that the chipped teeth and one with wacky roots were going to be cut on, but I had much more trust in this surgeon than the first. I took the anxiety pill an hour before my appointment and was already relaxed when I got to the office. As I was paying the office lady the surgeon came out and greeted me. I handed my purse to my mother and he walked me right back. He talked to me while he prepared the IV. I was already so relaxed that I didn't care at all that he was putting a needle in my hand. My hand started to itch and that is about it. Next thing is his assistant telling me I can go.

It has been 12 days and healing has gone better than expected. I took the first pain pill a couple hours after being home (before the anesthesia wore off completely) and the next day all I needed was ibuprofen. I was back at work by day 4 and while I'm still eating soft foods I probably could stop, I'm just paranoid about getting food in the holes.

So now I've overcome a lot of dental fears in the past 2 months and haven't had any jaw pain since the pain from the procedure went away so I guess it was the tooth!

I am very relieved to have this done and over with!:)

Hey peeps! Well I was going to post this in my thread but, I decided to post it here since this is definately something I feel proud of overcoming. :)

For the past couple of months Ive had so much issues with my wisdom teeth and on friday was the day I FINALLY got them all out. Its been hell, ive had to deal with a lot but now its finally over. Leading up to it that week was hell, I already had issues trying to eat due to sores in my mouth and I was worried sick about the entire process of everything. The night before I only got one hour of sleep, I was that scared. :cry:

But the surgery wasnt bad WHATSOEVER. And I feel so so silly for crying over it so much. ;D Everyone was 100% right. This is the BEST option to do, if not general (I couldnt do it cuz Id have to have waited 3 to 4 weeks :(). You dont even feel a thing. One second later you wake up and its all over I can promise you, its not worth stressing it will be done so quick you wont even realize you were knocked out!! :jump::jump:

I got put under IV Sedation and I was really scared I was gonna feel everything despite it or wake up. But I didnt.

When i arrived into the office I was so terrified I already began crying. I remember hearing my name get called and I nearly sunk into my seat and the nurse brought me into this room. She was very kind and gentle with me, thank goodness, and I had to get my temp measured and stuff. She gently repeated that I was going to be okay and that I can do this. She even gave me a box of tissues. I dont know why I was so scared its just an operation but I had a hard time trying to calm down...I had to sign some forms then I was left lying down.

After that she left and I had maybe 4 mins or so to kill till they got everything ready. I was trying to take deep breaths but I was already embarassed because my bf and his mom were waiting in the room with me but at that point I kinda didnt care, I was too busy focused on crying and freaking out. Then the surgeon himself came in and thats when I began to lose it. :(

I was thankful though because this time he was comforting and did his best to calm me down. (During my consulation I cried but he kinda just didnt seem to care??) The seat I remember got lowered and lowered and it was about time to give me the shot in which i bursted out crying my eyes out, it didnt hurt but it was a pinch and at that moment I prolly acted like it hurt way more than it should but thats cuz I was so gone in my fit LOL After that, not even a second went by and I woke up. :scared:

It was all done. All over. The surgeon and nurse were with me and said everything went fine and I got put into a wheel chair out to the car. I didnt really feel that out of it, despite my butt getting knocked the heck out, but I was tired and just wanted to sit. I kinda felt embarassed I cired like a baby in the office in front of EVERYONE but hey it was over at that point I didnt care!

And the rest of the day, it was kinda hard honestly. The surgery itself is just the beginning the hard part is the recovery, of course everyone heals differently but boy I was not ready. X_X

I had to wait a bit for my meds then I came home and tried to take my amoxillian, then the ibuprofen medicine but gagged a little (due to the numbing) and just when I thought I couldnt feel anymore humilated that happened. So that wasnt fun. I didnt puke or feel sick but Ive always had a bit of a struggle with being numb, that and since I get anxious easily that prolly didnt help either. The pill was all soft and mushy but I knew I had to finish it so I struggled with that. Then I spent the rest of the night lying in bed with my gauze pads.

I ended up having to change them often due to salivating alot and I didnt dare try and eat anything cuz I was too. My surgery was over at 10ish and I didnt get home until 2pm so from then to 7pm I pretty much had gauze pads in my mouth I was really nervous about the whole idea of dry socket so I decided not to eat that night. I also elevated my head to see if that would help. Wasnt fun on/off tasting blood in my mouth but eh you get used to it. The only thing I really intook that night really was water but even that was hard to drink. Also I had an ice pack thing wrapped around my head and I had it around me until I went to bed! (the surgeon/nurses gave me one and they also give you extra gauze pads!!) I think the hardest part that day was trying to stop the bleeding and sleeping elevated. I wanted so badly to sleep on my side how I normally do, so my sleep kinda sucked lol. Least my cats were kind enough to give me lotsa snuggles. (Snuggling with your pets or stuffies is the best medicine)

The next day (saturday) was the day I began to brush my teeth, floss and use this oral rinse stuff called chrolixdine? (excuse me I cant spell that at all lol). I was told to use that 3x a day. I was kinda scared though because I heard this stuff can damage your teeth and give you stains but part me of me hoped that I would be able to stop after my follow up. And yes I also tried eating. I already had gotten some yogurt and jello and protein shakes so I was good. I the jello worked really nicely so I was happy about that. :) I didn't feel too much sore or swelling so that was good. That was earlier in the morning and around that time my surgeon called my bf to tell him that by tuesday (my follow up) I should already have begun a normal diet? I thought that both funny and odd lol. Doesn't it take a week for this stuff to heal?? And same goes for the soft food diet...I found that weird he said that but regardless I decided to stick to my soft foods. Althought it IS important you start chewing. I was too scared to so I just did exercises whenever I was bored. (Opening and gently chewing down with my mouth.) I tried the protein shakes (I got Ensure) and at first i was like ew, because it struck a memory with me from childhood. (I used to have to drink these and hated the smell and taste lol) but regardless I drank it anyways because I knew it would benefit me. For dinner I attempted a soup but didn't care too much for it, so I instead had some Trix Yogurt. lol (Im not really into the idea of soup honestly and I was too scared the heat of the soup might touch my holes ...plus the one I got was nasty ;~; )

I also didnt really bleed too much that day either. And I spent the day just sitting in the living room watching a Harry Potter movie marathon that was on Tv. :giggle: I slept elevated again. I also didnt swell still. :jump:Only issue I really had was swallowing. It felt a bit funny (no i wasnt still numbed) and I did it slowly. My throat itself felt a bit sore but its to be expected, the coldness from yogurt and such helps with that though! :)

Its also very very important that you eat and drink PLEASE. Don't be like me. Saturday I only had small amounts of food and that was a bad idea because I always felt so dizzy and ill. :( Dont let that anxiety win if your afraid it'll touch your holes. If anything just sticking with jello is the best option here since it goes down really nicely.

Yesterday was probably the toughest. My right side was healing okay but my left side was a bit slow. (it was pretty badly impacted and close to the nerve of the other tooth). I felt really sore yesterday. And I also remembered that its usually the 2nd or 3rd day when you start to really swell up or just feel crappy. o_O So that kinda explains that. I didn't really eat too well that day so I just stuck with my protein shakes again. Took my meds of course and the ibuprofen they gave me. (There was also another medicine like ibuprofen they gave me but I never needed it so I haven't really taken any)

I remembered what my surgeon said about normal dieting so later that day (dinner time) we did our shopping and went out to a resturant I was kinda nervous because of the no straw rule (verrry important you follow this!!!) And along with chewing. So everyone wanted to go to this one resturant and I was happy about it because even their burgers were really soft but...they changed plans and wanted to go elsewhere....So we went to this other place. I was kinda freaking out about a drink though. I really wanted some sprite and without a straw I was really scared about the damage it could do to my teeth BUT i was lucky enough to get some water so I was able to enjoy my soda while have my anxiety managed. :) Dinner was the hardest part though. I had a hamburger and it wasnt soft. Really regretted my family not going to the original idea of eating but I mean I guess I would attempt to eat it at least. So tried chewing with my front teeth but I got paranoid for a while and I ate half of it but nomore.

My main issue is trying to chew without fearing the worst. :( I think im just being overly paranoid. Your holes are way way in the back but im just too paranoid lololol. So while I didnt eat much of that...(I had protein shakes earlier though!) I was able to get some ice cream. :) Then the rest of the night was kinda meh. I felt some pain and took my meds then I went to bed.

And here iam now! I think its now day 4? (or day 3...? I mean Friday kinda counts as a day right??) I feel kinda sore and I can sometimes feel the sutures. (yuck i hate feeling these things!) but I looked and my holes are healing pretty rapidly! :)

Ill try and update this post if any changes happen!
And sorry this got so long.

But guys dont be afraid of the IV its your friend. ;)

After reading and finding relief from hearing everyone's stories on here, I thought I'd tell you guys my story.

I'm 31 and haven't been to the dentist in about 10 years. I used to go all the time, I had braces, 2 adult teeth pulled due to the large size of my teeth, only had 2 cavities. As I got into college life I completely stopped going. That was until 2 months ago. Just before thanksgiving I had a terrible toothache and finally went into the dentist. My bottom wisdom teeth came in at an angle facing my front teeth so they were pushing the tooth next to it creating a huge cavity that required a root canal. They have me the root canal and told me I needed my wisdom teeth out before they could put a crown on.

i went to the oral surgeon that was recommended and he went over my three options to do all 4 teeth. IV sedation, laughing gas and local anesthesia, or just local anesthesia. He was trying to persuade me to do the IV sedation because he thought it would be hard on me since I haven't had any major dental issues before.
I went home and discussed it with family and friends and decided to go in the middle with laughing gas and local. I hate IVs and it scares me of the thought to not be in control of what's happening. So I called and made my appointment.

Surgery day: appointment was scheduled for 2:30pm, I got there early so any paperwork I could sign and stuff. Finally my name was called, the nurse walked me back to the room and I immediately told her I was nervous. She said "well let's get some gas in you then". I've never had laughing gas before so that was an experience in itself.
She gave me choices of diff scents, I choose orange. She had me lay down then hooked a heart rate clip on my finger and told me to put headphones on if I wanted to listen to music so I did. Then she put the gas mask over my nose and told me to keep breathing in and out through my nose. Within 3 mins I started getting really giggly and couldn't control it. I took a couple selfies for Snapchat to send my friends, overall I was feeling good and relaxed about it all. The nurse asked how I was feeling and I told her really good so she called the surgeon in. He made some small talk and a couple jokes when he came in so that also put me at ease.
Surgeon then had to put a total of 8 shots in my mouth for numbing. Because of the gas, I didn't care what he did, it stung very slightly but not too bad.
Surgeon left the room to let the numbing set in, took about 10 mins.
He came back and got to work!
He did the top right tooth first, he wiggled a little, pulled, then after 2 secs, he said "one down, 3 to go!"
Next tooth was on the upper left, same thing, only took about 2 secs.
The bottom 2 were the trouble makers, because they were in at an angle they had to be drilled and taken out in pieces. The whole time he drilled, I had my music turned up and I felt him pushing down on it then every so often I would hear a "crack" and he'd take a piece of tooth out. Each bottom tooth probably took about 3-5 mins each. Last tooth was done and they put gauze in my mouth, and started to turn down the nitrous oxide and turn up oxygen. Within a couple mins I was back to normal, completely numbed up and ready to leave.
Total time it took at dentist was about 30 mins. Total time actually doing work in my mouth? About 15 mins.

Total success!!

The next 48hrs , I followed the directions to a T. I never had a lot of pain and I actually only took ibuprofen on the second day, the most pain I had came on day 3. My face was a tad swollen and my jaw was so sore and stiff, also my gums were very sore. My tooth holes felt fine though! I can tell everything is healing as it should, I oozed blood a little the first two days but no blood at all on day 3, which is today.

Overall, I'd say the procedure was a success and I got worked up over nothing. I'm so glad it's over with and I'll never have to do that again.

Everyone likes a happy ending! Here's mine. I'm capturing my top tips as this forum has been so helpful for me as I worried my way into the dentists chair.

Background

I wrote on this forum once, three years ago, about my bad experience with a one armed dentist who then fled the country when I questioned his ability to practice. Since then I've lurked and taken huge comfort from the positive wisdom tooth extraction stories.

I have an excellent poker face but underneath it I'm full of dread and worse case scenarios.

A happy ending

Fast forward three years after my original post....I now go to a special nervous dentist in Didsbury, Manchester who is brilliant. I've had composite fillings replaced recently and declared it the "best filling of my life". My dentist:

- counts down when injecting me/drilling so I know how long it'll last.
- talks me through what's going on
- talks me through his exotic electives abroad and chats all the way through
- uses a rubber dam

This week's wisdom tooth extraction

I had my lower left extracted using iv sedation and a local in Sale, Manchester. After weeks of fretting it was absolutely fine. I don't remember a thing, the worse bit was the 48 hours before the appointment. Here's my top tips:

- Be charming, greet the team as you would in a formal meeting and tell them you've heard great things about them. It's tough when you're really scared but helps make you memorable and the dentist want to do an outstanding job on your teeth. It also makes you feel more in control.

- Go for IV sedation. It's the bomb and designed exactly for us. I would not hesitate to recommend this. Just don't look at the needle and it's fine. Doesn't hurt at all and I remembered nothing.

- Put your hands on a hot water bottle and in gloves beforehand so they can get the iv in easily.

- Get everything you might need ready the day before. This makes you feel more prepared and ready. I got the spare room ready with: old towels, tissues, gauze, syringes for the salt water, ibuprofen and paracetamol, books, box sets, salt water rinse, soft foods, PJs, etc.

- I took the rest of the week off work. The op was on Tuesday. Mentally, having all this recovery time was a luxury and I looked forward to it!

- The worst part is the hour or so before the appointment. Load up your phone with an inane game such as candy crush to take your mind off it in the waiting room.

- The night before I went to a spa and had a facial. This helped take my mind off things.

- Ask to keep your tooth. It's a reminder of how far you've come.

- Remind yourself now is an excellent time to have your tooth out. The tools and techniques used are as advanced as they've ever been. We're on the cusp of running out of antibiotics that work, since we fritter them away in factory farms. 80% of antibiotics used in the US are given to animals who are not even ill. So now is a sweet spot to get it done, we have great technology and tools and still have some antibiotics that work.

Good luck. It was nowhere near as awful as I expected after three years of build up!

Def great to read a lot of success stories on here
. Not unlike many people I have the extreme anxiety. I only have to remove one upper tooth scheduled for Tues and I have been fretting so much. Oral surgeon seems good as he suggested the gas, but said come in on an empty stomach in case we go iv sedation and we just see how it goes. So I hope my story will be a lot like the ones I read....Out quick and easy!!!!

Happy to read this as tomorrow I have to go to remove 1 upper... I also need the epi free so good to know that carbocaine is sufficient. I have had high anxiety since I booked the appt 4 days ago. They suggested that sedation should it be necessary but I too want to be aware of surroundings. I hope my story ends as well as yours

Top wisdom tooth out!!!!

Hi all...To those awaiting an extraction I just wanted to share mine. I am a super dental phob like so many out there. One week ago I had to book a surgery day because my top wisdom partially broke and full of infection. I had been stressing big time over it. I used an oral surgeon my family has used. He said since I have so much anxiety I should do the iv sedation ....Of course this prospect panicked me to no end.
Today was surgery day and my sis went in with me....She having more dental work in her life than 10 ppl combined. It was good to have her there to relieve some stress. Everyone in the office was super calm and nice.
So I go to the chair very nervous and they explain everything to me...They hook up a pressure cuff and put laughing gas mask on and say just relax and take some breaths...Which does calm my body...then she put in iv to my hand and says she will start it and I will feel relaxed and a bit sleepy but not asleep. Surgeon comes in and gives me numbing...Me hating needles had all these scenarios built up in my head..2 shots to which I barely felt....5 mins to let it numb up in which time he and the team chat about the raps and other scores from last night....Down to the extraction...Tooth out in approx 30 secs to a min and 3 stitches and iv line out...
I seriously advise anyone with high anxiety or panic to go for sedation !!!
Bing Bam Boom and you are out!!!!

Hello! This is my first post, since i read this forum while in the waiting room today i decided i should share my story :)

I need my wisdom teeth out to get braces, i need braces to get jaw surgery. To me, wisdom teeth is the scariest part of this journey and it was being put off for too long. The first time I went i didnt know what twilight sedation meant and freaked out and went home early. Then when I went back there was a problem with the buildings electricity, So I had to wait 2 more weeks and here we are.

I read a lot bout the IV sedation on here while I waited and was afraid it would be weird or id remember something cause my anxiety is so bad. They receptionist said i wont remember a thing. When I sat down they took my vitals and I tried my best to see it not as a scary thing but as "a new experience". Trying to shift my perception of it was really helpful. The doctor came in and I asked him again would I be asleep, he said no but I will feel like Im asleep. I kinda teared up cause I didnt know what that meant but he laughed and said the girl he JUST worked on felt the same way and she was dead asleep the whole time. I remember seeing her in the waiting room so I was like "PHEW!!! She fell asleep?! I will too!!!"

They put some breathing thing on my nose and the doctor started to clean my elbow, I asked can I have the needle in my hand and he laughed because I was the first person he said has ever asked for it to be there ( its so much less scary for me there because i have to make a fist, helps with the nerves, maybe you can try it too dear reader :) ) he put the needle in and I was kinda like " I feel nothing GREAT " I had headphones on and was listening to "sleep with me podcast" a calming show that tells you really boring bedtime stories, its like audio xanex, so I thought " well if this stuff is failing I might as well listennnnn....." and then it hit me and I saw a millions colors and shapes and all I heard the whole time was my podcast and had dreams about the show. I opened my eyes to check i was sleeping ( lol what? ) but I saw like the doctors hands and was like "oh I think hes in my mouth now Imma close my eyes again...." and fell asleep again. I felt NOTHING. 200% not a thing, I have no idea when they even started working on me.

Then I woke up and laughed a lot. I had my phone in my hand and took a million videos of myself....sent them to my friends....my snapchat story...oh god...thats my biggest warning....dont hold your phone LOL! I think some people have blackmail on me for life now!

I feel pretty good. Very sore, uncomfy, bleh, but ill be fine, honestly its a cakewalk. Anyone can do this. Its so easy. If you are afraid you need to stop being afraid!!!!
Imagine this, when you went to bed last night, do you remember when you rolled over? when your cat walked on the bed? when a car honked outside? no? you wont remember your teeth being pulled ;)

Good luck to all!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys! First time poster here! This site really helped me relax the morning of my op so I thought I would post how it went! I know pretty much everyone going into wisdom tooth surgery has one specific thing they are afraid of going into the op so I'll try to be as thorough as possible! I'm 20 years old and I had 4 wisdom teeth removed at once so I could just be done with it and not have to pay extra for a second visit. Plus I know that I have anxiety and would not want to go back a second time. I held off on looking at personal stories until the morning of my surgery so I could kind of pretend like it wasn't happening until it was actually happening and so I could be prepared. I bough a ton of soft food (plain instant mashed potatoes to be made lukewarm of course, pudding, jello, ice cream, apple sauce, Gatorade, water bottles, etc) which you will need a bit of for post op if you're taking pain meds. I brought water, a cup of pudding, a spoon, some chapstick for post of lip cracking and sores, and a bowl for and drool or possible vomit from a reaction to medication or sedative (I have a sensitive stomach and I'm also someone who over prepares). Because so was super prepared everything went super smoothly. I'll admit I definitely cried from the moment I walked into the office until the last second. But the assistant was super nice when she saw how nervous I was and chatted me up a bit and reassured me the whole time. The surgeon came in and did it all super quick so I didn't have time to really panic but I was given a small IV needle in the arm with general anesthetic and was under within seconds. I know a lot of people are nervous about being put under sedation so make sure you know what general anaesthetic they are using and any possible side effects so you know exactly what you're getting into. The next thing I knew the assistant told me I was all done and wheeled me into the recovery room for about 10 minutes while the double vision and disorientation subsided. The anesthetic they used had an antinausea unit so I didn't feel nauseous. I also was super numb still from the local anesthetic they probably gave me once I knocked out so I didn't feel any pain at all. Literally none. The wheeled me out to the car and my dad drove me home. I wasn't "loopy" and I didn't say any crazy things. I was aware and in control the whole time from when I woke up until I got home and passed out in my bed. For post op I was told not to do basically anything except eat soft food before taking the hydrocodone as well as the antinausea pills I was prescribed for pain and nausea caused by the pain pills and drink lots of fluid. The meds definitely helped a lot since they made me drowsy and helped me sleep through most of it and helped me with any pain. Make sure you take the first dose while you're numb or you'll regret it...They said to change the gauze out every 30 minutes or so and that really helped with the drooling and the bleeding if you lightly put pressure on it. Make sure you ice your jaw and your cheeks to help reduce soreness and swelling that will slowly increase for the next two days because I was definitely mortified of looking unlike myself (I almost passed out when I saw my numbed up face...). 20-30 minutes for one side then the same for the other. That's about as far as I've gotten since it's only day one! If you're reading this and about to go into surgery just know that the worst part is the nerves leading up to the procedure and once that's over you just need to follow post op instructions EXACTLY and you'll be perfectly fine! I haven't been in any pain and if I am I can just take more meds! Sorry for the typos I'm definitely still in my post op phase but I hope this helps someone out with their nerves and pre op concerns!

Back