Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrified that I'm Beyond help. Please, I need someone to talk to.

Default Re: Terrified that I'm Beyond help. Please, I need someone to talk to.

I don't know about your job, but I work for Home Depot and their health benefits resources hotline actually did a three-way phone call with me and the insurance company that handles my dental insurance. Of course I have my dental insurance through them, so they have the number, but they were able to force someone onto the line whereas, when I called, there wasn't even an option for getting someone on the line. Apparently there's an "invisible line" on most of those phone numbers that isn't advertised in the menu. If you can't raise a person to ask questions to, try pressing the zero button in one of the menus. If your job has a general "health benefits resources hotline," like Home Depot does, then call that and ask for them to three-way someone from the dental insurance company to you since you can't get anyone. Sometimes that hotline can also answer questions.

And I agree with carole! Your teeth probably aren't as bad as you imagine! It's all about self-imagery! The abscess is probably the most aggravating thing you have to get done, but once it's over you'll see that they're not as bad as you think! I get aggravated with my wisdom teeth because I keep cutting open my cheeks with them, so it makes me hate all my teeth and see all the little imperfections. But I imagine myself with no wisdom teeth and no cut cheeks and the rest of my teeth just seem okay. I dunno why it works out like that ... maybe I'm weird for thinking about it like that. Haha! At least you have a kind, understanding boyfriend who'll stand by you! Mine does, too! It makes it all better when they're there, doesn't it?

No decent dentist will judge you. That's not what they're in business to do (and I'm pretty sure that if a dentist was judgmental of a patient's mouth, they wouldn't be going back for a second visit, so it wouldn't be great for business either!).

Sometimes the uncertainty and not knowing is far worse than the 'finding out'. The trouble with the human mind is that it tends to fill the gaps with whatever terrifies it the most.

Well done for enrolling with the dental insurance and also making enquiries about sorting out your tooth. That's a great positive step . The process of starting to conquer your fears and get your teeth sorted is a bit like learning to walk; it's best to take small steps and bit by bit, you'll get there, rather than trying to do everything all at once; it's not a race! You can go at a pace that feels right for you.

If you're finding it hard to make phone calls to check out dentists, many people have found it helpful to email a few places and explain a bit about their situation and then ask them how they can help. You can then compare the responses and maybe go and see one that feels right for you.

You're not worthless and I'm sure that if people who know you were to read your post, they would feel sad that you feel this way about yourself. It takes a lot of courage for most people to post on this forum for the first time, but you've done it . There are lots of others who have had similar feelings to yours, but bit by bit, with the help and support from this forum, the right dentist and the people around them, they've made real progress... and so will you.
      Designer. Copywriter. Hypnotherapist. NLP Practitioner. Bookworm. iPhone worshipper. Tea drinker. Insomniac. Caffiene addict. Derren Brown fan.

Well. I've contacted a few dentists, and I've begun to look into this thing called carecredit. I know that this will end up costing me thousands. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do to try to help that out? Would a credit card or loan be smart?

I've also been looking at the events where dentists will set up for a day and do free basic work like fillings and extractions.

Im just, I don't know, I'm sad about what I look like now. I'm to the point that I'm scared to lose weight because I feel like my teeth have got my jaw so swollen that I'll look wrong without the fat hiding it.

Aand I just spent an hour looking at images of periodontal disease and worst case scenarios of gingivitis. I am officially freaked out

Some dentists offer interest free payment plans, and you can pay for treatment as you go along, that's what I've read anyway. I'm assuming you're in the UK?

I'm sorry, no. I live in the US,

Don't do credit cards or ask for loans for that kind of work. That's the worst idea. Credit cards will ruin your credit, even if you make minimum payments each month. Not many people know that only making minimum payments can negatively affect your credit score. Besides that, with interest rates so high, both will only end up costing you more in the long-run. Ask your dentist about a payment plan. Most dentists in the US offer payment plans for people who can't pay it all off right away.
      Last edited by Sekiseishi; 5th March 2012 at 04:11.

I'm a little blue today.

Called a lot of dentists.. their prices were 200plus for a visit. They were curt over the phone.

And they made sure I knew that if I didn't have insurance, regarding payment plans I was pretty much screwed.

Keep trying! Those that are short with you over the phone are generally that way in person, too, so don't bother with them at all. Find the nicest one you can over the phone and see if they offer a free consultation or first visit! I'd recommend my dentist if you lived near me (southeast Louisiana) since he does free first visits and payment plans, with or without insurance. Even if you have to wait a little while until your insurance kicks in (I'd call them to make sure you don't have a waiting period before you can get major work done, though, before making commitments with a dentist), go ahead and brush and floss every day, even if it seems hopeless. The longer you wait to start good oral hygiene the harder it'll be to fix your teeth. I say keep up with it, now!

I believe I found a Dentist that can help. 99 a Visit. Though I'll bring extra. And they offer plans.

If I have to, I will pay for everything out of pocket. And these days, getting all my teeth extracted and having dentures sounds so damn tempting. I know the whole.. not unless I need it and receding gum-jawline farther down the road. I just dont want to be ashamed anymore