• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Unplanned Dental Treatment

How did you cope with impromptu dental treatment?

• Total voters
oooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooo you two are just plain freaky, I would have a heart attack if they said look at the mirror, and then tried to creep in something else, I hate being tricked, it destroys my trust in them. I have had some dentists thinking it is clever to touch another tooth not needing treatment with the drill, then laugh at my reaction and say I told you, it wouldn't hurt, there's nothing to be afraid of. SICK PEOPLE to do this.

I don't want to know what anything looks like and if I saw a needle I would have a fit, I would be outta there, leaving them choking in my dust. It's funny but I am very curious person and will have a thousand and one questions about all sorts of subjects but this one is off limits to me. I do find you both Carys and kitkat funny though, I can hear you laughing as you type.

I can hear you laughing as you type
...,and you'd be right there !

:)

No, I don't want to be distracted and be tricked into having things happening I don't know about either, its KitKat's dentist who does that not mine :meanie: Carole - you have been to dentists who touched another tooth with a drill without telling you - for real ???

Can I say that I had a mirror in my hand for a fair bit of the appointment today, I asked the hygenist to pass me the one they keep there for looking at the finished product. Only this time I was able to have a good gawp at my tooth all prepared for the overlay, and my front tooth with the crown removed etc. So, thanks to this thread and our discussion about mirrors I took action and was able to have a bit more interest during the 1 1/2 hour appointment.

What do you mean have you had the tooth out.
And yes I've had a couple of dentists, because I hate the drill, touch other teeth, to show me there is nothing to be afraid of. Go figure?
If I had a mirror I'd be ducking and diving we'd both be exhaused by the time we'd done, and no work whatsoever would be done. OH no!
Glad you enjoyed your appointment so much it sounds like you had a riot :giggle:
I am amazed at you, you were on here stressing and besides your self a few weeks ago, and now you're directing operations. I bet you feel like the head of control now at the dentist with your mirror, you'll be doing your own work next.

I am so pleased that you go now and can feel so comfortable, I know it was the medicine you feared but blooming eck you've come a long way.
Did you have any injections today?

Last edited:
Ahh, you have worked me out so well....I have even been known to watch a youtube video if there is one !

I love youtube! I even watch procedures I've already had just to see what happened to me! They actually have some great dental phobia videos on there that dentists have made that are NOT advertisements for their practice! :)

kitkat, I've said this before, but you so make me smile. I now have an image of a magician type of dentist, doing these tricks infront of you to distract and 'trick' you into having certain tools used; 'watch the pretty mirror.....look at it sparkle and shine....' and then whilst you are transfixed on it an 'excavator' is popped in to your mouth without you seeing.

That's pretty much what happens! lol Fortunately for my dentist, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects much like a bird or small child. I doubt the way she works with children is much different from how she handles me! :)

I'm not truly "tricked" though, I know what she's doing at all times, my attention is just redirected. She's telling me what's coming next every step of the way otherwise I'd totally freak out. That's just more to keep me from seeing things she'd rather not let me see. If you shut your eyes, it probably makes your dentist's job a lot easier! ;) Mine will bring the mirror or air thingy into my line of sight, tell me what sensation to expect ("you're going to feel ______") and follow up accordingly. Depending on the sensation being described I can pretty much figure out what tool she's about to use. No surprises allowed though. Once, a long time ago, she sprayed water and air without warning me first and it surprised me to the point of actually physically jumping and she apologized profusely for scaring me. Now so long as I'm numb, she can pretty much do what she wants with a little head's up and I don't have too many problems with it. She used to explain more to me but I'm pretty familiar with everything and I've been with my dentist for 9 years so we've built up a strong trust relationship over time that I'm not as worried about her doing her thing.

Carole- I can't believe dentists have touched your other teeth with a drill before just 'cause'! That is a total trust violation.
Carys-Soo glad you got on well with your appointment and had the courage to ask for a mirror and get involved! Good for you! You sound very comfortable with your dentist!

Last edited:
What do you mean have you had the tooth out.

I didn't say that did I ???

I am amazed at you, you were on here stressing and besides your self a few weeks ago, and now you're directing operations. I bet you feel like the head of control now at the dentist with your mirror, you'll be doing your own work next.

It have become role reversal, he has gone from being my worst nightmare, to me being his......I now need to learn to stay quiet and stop interferring. :giggle: I tried really hard to be quiet, but when he was reshaping the crown I started giving my input and then quickly apologised with a 'sorry, I'll just lie over here quietly, I'm not the dentist' :censored:

Carys tell them what you told me, they won't believe it, I am still laughing, I dare not think about you when I go because we won't get anything done.

Carys tell them what you told me, they won't believe it, I am still laughing, I dare not think about you when I go because we won't get anything done.

Which bit ? Lol

How you fixed his hand tool

Ok, sorry kitkat, I am kind of moving well off topic here.....well I am and aren't as this was certainly 'unexpected' at my appointment today. I didn't actually fix it Carole, I just gave a suggestion for a positive way forward in light of the problem.

Lovely kind dentist was just starting preparing my root canal pre-molar for the temporary overlay. An amount of drilling was required to remove the section where the overlay was to be placed. He started and within seconds it became clear that there was no water coming out of the hand tool. He queried it, it was confirmed by lovely kind dental nurse that nothing was coming out into the suctioning thingy bob. I too said I had felt no spray. The nurse went to check the bottle, it was full, and he held the tool up to test it and it worked again. So, after that few minutes of break we started again. A few seconds in the same thing happened, no water, tooth feeling somewhat warm and definitely no spray. My dentist was now bemused, he kind of sat there staring and thinking. Everything stopped again and the nurse took the bottle off looked at the pipe...was there an air block ? He tested it away from me again and it worked. So, back we go to starting again...SAME thing,within seconds no water. By this time the lovely kind dentist is more bemused and peed off, he wanders off to tell the receptionist to ring the engineer....he says that there has been a tiny leak for a few months and it has been looked at but not resolved.

Whilst he is gone the dental nurse and I decide to have a test, we chat about the fact that it seems to be stopping only at certain angles and she lifts it different ways and sure enough when the pipe is up vertical back on the stand it works, once over near the patient it doesn't. We chat and discuss it a bit and I give my incredibly valuable input :rolleyes: so, when the dentist comes back in I say that we have figured what is happening, and we will be able to carry on as long I adopt a specific position......you guys will need your imagination here....I half sit up, twist to one side with my body away, turn my head in a ridiculous direction and put one leg slightly in the air... all totally impractical. He and she laugh and when we are all composed we begin again, in a normal position to see if it will work.

However, something in the messing around with the water and pipe has now caused the opposite problem. There is water a plenty coming out, excess doesn't cover it. The dental nurse can't keep up with the tissues and paper towel, my ears are full, my face is soaked and glasses are streaming inside and out and I am steamed up totally inside the glasses, it is running down my neck so far I can feel it soaking my tshirt. It is basically a shower. We can't stop though, they are having a laugh because of how much water is coming out, it is everywhere !! The work gets completed, obviously running somewhat behind schedule.

Going down to pay, the receptionist comments on the hilarity coming from the surgery, I apologise as there are people in the waiting room, she says not to worry at all, it was nice to hear laughing as they don't often hear it in a dentist practice. :giggle:

Ok, sorry kitkat, I am kind of moving well off topic here.....well I am and aren't as this was certainly 'unexpected' at my appointment today.

No problem! You guys are great company! :) I'm entertained by your posts! That is too funny! Hope you didn't have to be anywhere after. Next time, wear a raincoat! :giggle:

Last edited:
I bet all the patients in the waiting room rushed to see your dentist when you left. They should have you in there as entertainment, I bet it made every bodys day including the dentist. Next time you go take a swimming costume and ask him, do I need this today.

This is still on topic because you didn't plan on having to put your leg over the dentist chair and swimming did you. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I could hardly read this I was in tears laughing.

I can just picture the whole thing in my head like a comedic sitcom! I need to add an option to my poll. Option #5 "I laughed hysterically!" :giggle:

Last edited:
LOL

Then there was the other rather embarrasing moment, which I've just remembered now.....

I was kind of phased out, it was a long appointment....there had been sealing done, composite bits and pieces done now and again, drilling, impressions, and he had been checking how the teeth were closing together. Actually, I'm not entirely sure what was going on fully, BUT when he was doing the sealant on the tooth and the one next to it he used his coloured light a lot. You know that one that sets the sealant/composite. I had gone into my meditative/bored place mentally, and was just responding to instructions without really internalising them or thinking....

He said out loud at one point, 'light please' to his dental nurse and I thought he said 'bite please'...so I did, on his fingers :censored::censored::censored:

He said out loud at one point, 'light please' to his dental nurse and I thought he said 'bite please'...so I did, on his fingers :censored::censored::censored:

Well that will teach him to enunciate! :devilish: Lol I wonder how many embarrassing moments I've had at the dentist...too many I'm sure! One time, they were shining their light (the brighter one for curing things) and told me to shut my eyes and I couldn't coordinate closing my eyes and opening my mouth at the same time...I kept just closing both! It seriously took like 4 tries to get it right! I cracked up the dental assistant!

You are going to have to stop this, I'm getting laughter lines, and at my age thats not a good look.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You are going to have to stop this, I'm getting laughter lines, and at my age thats not a good look.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If you really want to have a good laugh at funny dental stories check out this thread I posted way back! It's a collection of hysterical dental moments that I found on the web that dentists have posted. Mostly embarrassing moments on the dentist's part... it's nice to hear funny stories from their perspective every now and then.

kitkat I was just thinking I was going to start a thread for funny moments in the dentist surgery.

Oh that is great, I'm going to read that right now kitkat, love the idea of humour taking the edge off the fear.

Carole, laughter lines as YOUR age indeed.........daft moo. :hic:

Laughter is the best medicine! :cloud9:

Laughter is the best medicine, I'm having trouble breathing here, flipping heck I can hardly type. Oh we need more of this. Trouble is if I think of any of this on Thursday I'm done for. I won't get any work done, you can't hold your mouth open and laugh at the same time.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This is me right now.

Carys I didn't have them before reading all this stuff on here today, honestly I look like I've been crying I've laughed so much with tears streaming down my face.

Oh kitkat that was the funniest thing. Thanks for the link.