• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection after root canal

C

CoolBeans

Hi everyone,

I had my first ever root canal last week, and although I was terrified, I got through it just fine (with a little help from lorazepam, and of course my dentist is awesome!) A coue days later, u noticed the pain getting worse, and as of yesterday morning, my face has seemed to develop it's own heartbeat in that side. I called the dentist back, and she gave me a prescription for antibiotics, she said it sounded infected, and not to worry because it's not uncommon. In the meantime, with the power of the Internet, I have now convinced myself that I'll have to have some sort of oral surgery for certain. J was wondering if anyone has suffered from this before, and what may e to expect? My second RCT appointment (same tooth) isn't for another week and a half.

I have not had the same infection but I recently have had a bad gum infection and had to have antibiotics for it.
They do take a few days to start working and healing your gums,so you will have to wait a few days to see if they work. If you still have pain etc you should ask the dentist to at least LOOK at the problem and not guess over the phone !

I am not a dentist but before Christmas I had a root canal treatment, I needed it because I had an abscess, I had a course of antibiotics that calmed things down enough for the dentist to do the first part.
In all I ended up having about 5 or 6 courses of antibiotics, I did get the second part done, but because I had, had the abscess for some time, over a year it was hard to shift. So I wouldn't worry I don't think it will come to you needing anything more dramatic then your rct. That in its self is seen as surgery, which I didn't know until recently, so please don't worry about it. Easier said than done, I know you will still worry but I hope this has helped a little. I was and still am, in the position that at the worst if the rct fails and the tooth doesn't settle then extraction is the instant answer. No tooth no infection. I will find out in June when it is due to have a crown on it. My dentist as of last week does say it is looking good for me. So I hope you can take some hope from my story and try not to be as worried about it.

Good luck for you next appointment.

Thanks Carole...I really had no idea this could become a recurring problem. The tooth used to ache a bit on and off for a few years, and then the front part broke off. Never bothered me since! Fast forward to a couple years later when I had to go to the dentist to have my crown out back on, I was asked if I had any concerns. I brought the broken tooth up, and there my RCT journey started. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to sort itself out. It feels like a full time jib trying to stay calm about it!

It's not so much a recurring problem, mine was an infection that was left untreated by a couldn't be bothered dentist that wouldn't even x ray my mouth. The infection turned into an abscess. I went for 20 months going back and forth to the dentist and doctors because the dentist said it was in my mind, the tooth and my mouth was fine.

The doctor treated me for neuralgia because of all the face pain and everything that goes with an abscess. My tooth broke so I went to look for another dentist, and found a lovely one that has fixed the problem of the abscess.

Your dentist is treating your mouth so you won't have the problems I had, I only told you to let you know even when it is bad, it's not really that bad. Your dentist is on the ball and sorting you out so don't worry, it sounds like you are in good hands.
Best wishes

Thanks Carole...I really had no idea this could become a recurring problem. The tooth used to ache a bit on and off for a few years, and then the front part broke off. Never bothered me since! Fast forward to a couple years later when I had to go to the dentist to have my crown out back on, I was asked if I had any concerns. I brought the broken tooth up, and there my RCT journey started. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to sort itself out. It feels like a full time jib trying to stay calm about it!

Usually, between root canal appointments, the dentist leaves a special dressing or temporary filling in the tooth which is in itself medicated. If necessary this process can be done a couple of times until the tooth has truly settled before putting the permanent gutta-percha filling in.

However, if you continue to have an issue, I would advise you to ask to be referred to an endodontist with a microscope as sometimes canals in teeth are multiple and hard for the dentist to find without magnification. Endodontic surgery usually involves apico (where the bottom of the tooth root is removed) but it is a procedure which should not be done until a high-quality 'retreat' has been tried by an endodontist.

More info here:

Thanks - it's been 2 full days of antiobiotics, and it's starting to feel better this morning. I'm really hoping it was just a one off kind of thing :)

Hi how are you now and have you been back to the dentist?

I hope you are feeling better and have got sorted out. :)

I wish I saw this sooner, I feel like a heel for not replying!

Yes, I have been back for my 2nd appointment. It was just fine, and no additional flare up.

I honestly can't say enough wonderful things about my dentist. She's so unbelievably kind and patient, and her assistant is just the same. In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to go for another cleaning, and in the next month or two, I'm going to make an appointment for a full out exam. I'm a little afraid of that, since I know I'll need some work done (although I'm anticipating fillings only, since I"m not having any other real issues), but it's a starting point.

Thanks for your kind words! :)

No need to feel bad, I am just glad your tooth has settled now and you can continue to get the treatment you need. I wish you well with the rest of your visits. It is really good when you have a good understanding dentist, if you have had a rct and been fine I think you will be okay with whatever else you may need doing.

I hope you can when you have time keep us up to date with how you are getting on. Don't feel you need to be here all the time, you can reply when and if you wish to. :)

I am not a dentist but before Christmas I had a root canal treatment, I needed it because I had an abscess, I had a course of antibiotics that calmed things down enough for the dentist to do the first part.
In all I ended up having about 5 or 6 courses of antibiotics, I did get the second part done, but because I had, had the abscess for some time, over a year it was hard to shift. So I wouldn't worry I don't think it will come to you needing anything more dramatic then your rct. That in its self is seen as surgery, which I didn't know until recently, so please don't worry about it. Easier said than done, I know you will still worry but I hope this has helped a little. I was and still am, in the position that at the worst if the rct fails and the tooth doesn't settle then extraction is the instant answer. No tooth no infection. I will find out in June when it is due to have a crown on it. My dentist as of last week does say it is looking good for me. So I hope you can take some hope from my story and try not to be as worried about it.

Thanks for this advice, I'm on my 4th lot of antibiotics in 3 weeks, having had an abcess and then root canal last week. I'm in no pain thankfully, but obviously worried about damage.

Hi Carole, I don't know whether it's too late to answer this post but I just wondered whether your rct tooth ever settled?! :)

emmad85 yes my tooth did settle and it is now crowned and has been fine since. :butterfly:

emmad85 yes my tooth did settle and it is now crowned and has been fine since. :butterfly:

Yet, fantastic news!!:jump: I will try taking hope from that... think I'm going to have to ring the dentist for my 5th lot of antibiotics tomorrow and still two weeks until 2nd endo appointment, starting to feel (after 9 wks) that it will never resolve unless I have it extracted. But I will try and remember you!!

By the,way, thank you for this forum...what a brilliant and supportive resource to have, really admirable and I've certainly found it a comfort. :)

Hi it is Letsconnect that you need to thank for this forum, I am just someone that was a shivering wreck when I joined after being a phobic all my 56 years. I have through this forum and some very good dentists now overcome most of my fear. I simply reply to people and hopefully help them a little. The same way I was helped on here myself when I joined.

I suffered for over 20 months with a really bad abscess coming and going through neglect of my then dentist, I would not like to repeat that ever again. Keep positive and hopefully a re-treatment will cure you.

All the best to you, if you are interested in my full adventure of my dental woes I will link it here for you. I must warn you though it is long and silly at times, but with the many people on here we had a lot of laughs :grouphug::butterfly:

I just feel really clever now I usually go off the thread to get my links and I have just tried a new way to see if it worked. It has :respect::respect::respect: to myself. Sorry but I am a nightmare when paired up with a computer and when I do something new I think I am Einsteine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck to you, I am sure things will work out in the end. I know it is horrible now and feels never ending but it will end. Hopefully you get to save the tooth.

Back