View Poll Results: What time do your prefer to visit the dentist?

Voters
    27. You may not vote on this poll
    • Early Morning (approximately 8am-10am)

13 48.15%
    • Before Noon (approximately 10am-12pm)

2 7.41%
    • Afternoon (approximately 12pm-3pm)

6 22.22%
    • Evening (approximately 3pm-5pm)

6 22.22%
    • Other

0 0%

Thread: Appointment Time-What's your preference?

Default Appointment Time-What's your preference?

You need to schedule a dental appointment. What time of day do you prefer to visit the dentist and why?
      Last edited by kitkat; 19th March 2012 at 06:56.

Default Re: Appointment Time-What's your preference?

Even though this is my poll, I'm a bit torn. I think I cope best in the early morning because I'm not dealing with worrying about it all day. I can just "get it over with" and get on with my day. Also, if I go early enough (like 8am) I'm still a bit groggy from sleeping (or not sleeping ) so I feel more sedated and less jumpy. I tend to care less about what's going on around me if I'm tired and I think I remember it less (Note: I don't use any form of actual sedation). On the otherhand, I sense that my dentist is not a morning person and I respect that, because I'm not either in most scenarios. It just seems like in past appointments though, she's generally more friendly, patient, and compassionate in the afternoon. I probably sound crazy but that's just been my observation! lol So if it's something that I'm particularly fearful about, I shoot for the afternoon because I presume she'll be able to better handle me...if that makes any sense?!
      Last edited by kitkat; 19th March 2012 at 20:45.

I chose the afternoon option, mostly because there is no way that I would manage to be showered, dressed have all the pets fed and my makeup on by 8 am. Also I have the issue of a school age child, so I tend to find I am rushed and feel somewhat 'chaotic' some mornings. I like time to get everything ordered and get myself ready physically and emotionally; so most of my appointments have been around 2 or 2.30 pm.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carys For This Useful Post:

kitkat (19th March 2012)

It really depends what I am having done. If it's an extraction earlier the better. If its filling or rct early prefered. If it's check up I don't really mind. If I go early morning it leaves my day free to get on with other things, I don't sleep well the night before so to get up early to get ready gives me something to do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

kitkat (19th March 2012)

I preffer early morning as it get's the appointment over and done with. With my dentist in Leicester though I used to have evening appointments - so I wouldn't need to take time off work. Check ups dont bother me though I do become anxious when I need treatment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Geraint For This Useful Post:

kitkat (19th March 2012)

Definitely early morning - after packing kids off to school. I'm a morning person anyway (up around 5.00 or 6.00 normally). I also know exactly where to sit - if I sit on the couch he can see me as he walks out BUT if I sit on the chair he has to look around the corner to find me!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mango For This Useful Post:

kitkat (19th March 2012)

I'm often ill in the mornings, and it's worse when I'm anxious, so I'd never book an early morning appointment in case I ended up missing it! Early afternoon (or very late morning) gives me the best chance of making it, without having too long to get worked up about it. It also works well for me in terms of following the rules about not eating before sedation appointments, plus it's the time that best suits the person who always drives me.

I also find that, especially at my new (very large!) practice, it can get really busy from school-finish time onwards, and I prefer it to be as quiet/calm as possible...not that I'm ever at all calm, but being surrounded by multiple dental conversations, nervous faces and excitable or frightened children is not the most helpful waiting experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Pianimo View Post
      I also find that, especially at my new (very large!) practice, it can get really busy from school-finish time onwards, and I prefer it to be as quiet/calm as possible...not that I'm ever at all calm, but being surrounded by multiple dental conversations, nervous faces and excitable or frightened children is not the most helpful waiting experience!
      Ah! Another reason I like my early morning appointments. The office is usually pretty empty...just me and the staff! Occasionally one other person is there waiting with me but if I can score the first appointment and arrive early I normally have the place to myself. Trying to hide my fear from other patients and appear relaxed or at ease in the waiting room is in some ways worse than facing the dentist. I often try to study my waiting room companions for signs of nervousness to not feel so alone ...then I wonder if they think I'm nervous and I start to feel paranoid....it's just an awkward situation I'd rather avoid.

Definitely early morning! I don't want to be worrying and waiting all day!