Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dentist Appointment tomorrow!

Default Dentist Appointment tomorrow!

After years of avoiding the dentist even though i knew my teeth have really gone down the drain I managed to at least call and make an appointment. The moment I started giving them my information i burst out in tears terrified thinking that I was actually going to be sitting in the chair soon and having judgement looks and talks behind my back at how terrible my teeth are. My appointment is tomorrow and i literally want to hide in my closet and never come out! I don't know how I am going to do this...I can't stand hearing people tell me it's going to be fine. They have no idea what's going on with my teeth and i'm to embarrassed to tell them. I'm a grown adult and I want to run away...this sucks.

Default Re: Dentist Appointment tomorrow!

Welcome to the club - you will have so much support on here and so many people who have already gone through what you are just about to start.

Good luck - let us know how you go

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

terrified310 (11th April 2012)

It really does pt me at ease just a little bit to know i'm not the only one going through this. I've been so scared to talk about it that I really did feel alone. Thanks everyone for sharing. I will definitely share my experience tomorrow after my appointment.

I don't know how I am going to be able to sleep tonight....

Hi terrified310 I am a grown adult, I am 54 years old grown adult and we all know how you feel, your teeth are the worse things the dentist has ever seen, you need them all out, and he is going to run to the corner of the room in shock. He will need to rest in a darkened room after you have gone, shock horror terrified has been here run for cover.
      NO your teeth are not the worst thing he has ever seen, he will not recoil in horror. Tell him/her how nervous, afraid and embarrassed you are and why, they will listen, have a look and tell you how they can help you get a nice smile to be proud of. If you are afraid of the proddy stick (the probe) ask them to just look with a mirror, if you feel you can gain the confidence to work with this dentist then it will go from there. It is nerve wrecking going for that first appointment, heck you just did a really hard thing today by ringing and making the appointment, you didn't put the phone down, YOU DID IT BE PROUD OF YOURSELF you've just done a really hard thing.

It will be fine, you will be fine really, and if you would be good enough to come on here and tell us how you did, we would be very interested to know.

What time is your appointment? you don't have to tell if you don't want to, and are you in the UK.

Hi Carole-

LOL Thank you so much for your message. You almost brought me to tears, in a good way I'm hoping this dentist which was recommended to me by a friend will be understandable and gentle if anything. Crossing fingers.

My appointment is tomorrow at 3pm headed straight after work. Can't believe its tomorrow already yikes!

i'm not in the UK I live in California

Well we are all here and if you need more support or chat just carry on you may pm me or any one of us if you wish, nobody will mind.
      Stay strong, nothing can happen tomorrow or any time that you don't want to happen, you have to give your consent for any treatment and agree on a plan. You are in control, I know it doesn't feel like it to you right at this moment, but you are.
      I was so scared when I went in Sept, before I even got there I felt sick, I didn't sleep the few nights before, I was shaking so much when I got there, I thought my legs were going to give way and I thought I was going to pass out, I had a panic attack. I couldn't talk I was breathless, I could feel my face was red and burning, oh I was a quivering wreck. The poor dentist must have wondered what the hell had just come through the door.

But he was so kind, gentle and considerate, I wasn't completely at ease, that takes a bit longer, but he said he would just look with the mirror, and he wasn't going to do anything else. I knew I would be able to go and see him again, and I did.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, you think of all us thinking of you when you are there, and think we are holding your hand best wishes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

Carole-

I can't thank you enough for your kind words and your support!! I really needed to hear that.

Your welcome, any time. I am off to bed now because in the UK it is now midnight and I am tired. Stay strong for tomorrow. You can do it,

Today is the day!!!! i'm getting more & more anxious as my appointment time is approaching.

I don't know if you have been yet, but I hope you let us know how it went. If you haven't been yet Good luck, you can do it. YOU'RE A GROWN ADULT.