• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist Appointment tomorrow!

T

terrified310

After years of avoiding the dentist even though i knew my teeth have really gone down the drain I managed to at least call and make an appointment. The moment I started giving them my information i burst out in tears terrified thinking that I was actually going to be sitting in the chair soon and having judgement looks and talks behind my back at how terrible my teeth are. My appointment is tomorrow and i literally want to hide in my closet and never come out! I don't know how I am going to do this...I can't stand hearing people tell me it's going to be fine. They have no idea what's going on with my teeth and i'm to embarrassed to tell them. I'm a grown adult and I want to run away...this sucks.:sick:

Welcome to the club - you will have so much support on here and so many people who have already gone through what you are just about to start.

Good luck - let us know how you go

It really does pt me at ease just a little bit to know i'm not the only one going through this. I've been so scared to talk about it that I really did feel alone. Thanks everyone for sharing. I will definitely share my experience tomorrow after my appointment. :sick:

I don't know how I am going to be able to sleep tonight....

Hi :welcome: terrified310 I am a grown adult, I am 54 years old grown adult and we all know how you feel, your teeth are the worse things the dentist has ever seen, you need them all out, and he is going to run to the corner of the room in shock. He will need to rest in a darkened room after you have gone, shock horror terrified has been here run for cover.
NO your teeth are not the worst thing he has ever seen, he will not recoil in horror. Tell him/her how nervous, afraid and embarrassed you are and why, they will listen, have a look and tell you how they can help you get a nice smile to be proud of. If you are afraid of the proddy stick (the probe) ask them to just look with a mirror, if you feel you can gain the confidence to work with this dentist then it will go from there. It is nerve wrecking going for that first appointment, heck you just did a really hard thing today by ringing and making the appointment, you didn't put the phone down, YOU DID IT BE PROUD OF YOURSELF :jump: :jump: :jump: you've just done a really hard thing.

It will be fine, you will be fine really, and if you would be good enough to come on here and tell us how you did, we would be very interested to know.

What time is your appointment? you don't have to tell if you don't want to, and are you in the UK.

Hi Carole-

LOL Thank you so much for your message. You almost brought me to tears, in a good way :) I'm hoping this dentist which was recommended to me by a friend will be understandable and gentle if anything. Crossing fingers.

My appointment is tomorrow at 3pm headed straight after work. Can't believe its tomorrow already yikes! :sick:

i'm not in the UK I live in California :)

Well we are all here and if you need more support or chat just carry on you may pm me or any one of us if you wish, nobody will mind.
Stay strong, nothing can happen tomorrow or any time that you don't want to happen, you have to give your consent for any treatment and agree on a plan. You are in control, I know it doesn't feel like it to you right at this moment, but you are.
I was so scared when I went in Sept, before I even got there I felt sick, I didn't sleep the few nights before, I was shaking so much when I got there, I thought my legs were going to give way and I thought I was going to pass out, I had a panic attack. I couldn't talk I was breathless, I could feel my face was red and burning, oh I was a quivering wreck. The poor dentist must have wondered what the hell had just come through the door.

But he was so kind, gentle and considerate, I wasn't completely at ease, that takes a bit longer, but he said he would just look with the mirror, and he wasn't going to do anything else. I knew I would be able to go and see him again, and I did.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, you think of all us thinking of you when you are there, and think we are holding your hand best wishes :grouphug:

Carole-

I can't thank you enough for your kind words and your support!! I really needed to hear that. :)

Your welcome, any time. I am off to bed now because in the UK it is now midnight and I am tired. Stay strong for tomorrow. You can do it, :) :grouphug:

Today is the day!!!! :scared: i'm getting more & more anxious as my appointment time is approaching.

I don't know if you have been yet, but I hope you let us know how it went. If you haven't been yet Good luck, you can do it. YOU'RE A GROWN ADULT. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jaylah-

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate the message. You're probably right, its just me psyching myself out... :(

I just want this day to be over with already..is their a FF button i can click? :)

LOL Carole i leave it up to you to make me laugh before i go in! Grown adult that will be in tears when i walk in (hopefully not!)

I am so glad I caught you before you went in, have you gone in yet, at least if you're crying, you're concious so that means you haven't passed out. Take it as a good sign, my first visit I must have scared my dentist to death, I was breathing heavy, I could hardly talk, there were no words there, and I could barely stand, so believe me the dentist chair was a God send, only side ways on mind.

GOOD LUCK :) how long now.

yikes!:scared:

1 hour!! my stomach is turning knots right now...i'm leaving work in a few mins...Next time i come back on here i'll be home after my appointment. :sick:

You can do it just remember you are in charge, just explain how you feel. Go in there like Dartanian out of the three muschateers. It's only a look you are going for nothing else, ask him/her to just use the mirror if you don't like the probe.

You will feel so good when you come back out, if I don't hear from you before I am here waiting for you when you come out. It is 10.20pm here in the UK and I am staying up tonight to share your joy.

Good luck :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: and dare I say, YOU WILL BE FINE, keep saying it to yourself, I did and it did stop me thinking, I can't do this.

So together now, I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.

I have just come on to say sorry I have tried to stay awake until you get back but I am whacked, it is 12.50am now here in the UK and I cannot stay awake any longer. I hope things went well and I look forward to reading tomorrow how well you did.

From one grown adult to another grown adult, Goodnight. :)

Hey guys!

Well i wish I would come on here and say everything went fine. Unfortunately, it didn't. The staff was friendly, I took my x-rays which was fine. Finally, when the dentist came in he sat down put a digital camera in my mouth and showed me on a flat screen tv what i needed to get done(it was scary) He talked so fast i felt like my head was going to explode. Then he said that everything i needed would most likely cost about $13k! I could buy a car with that!

He left so I could talk it over with my mom and office manager. The office manager wasn't very nice and it looked more like she couldn't believe that i wasn't jumping to start fixing my teeth. This was kinda what I was worried about. I had to ask her to give us a minute while i talked it over with my mom. I knew i was going to have some extensive work, but it was still scary and broke down in tears. Especially to know how much I was going to have to pay. My mom had a great idea to at least start a deep cleaning to see how this dentist worked before I get locked down with him and a debt of $13,000 dollars. :o

Their deep cleaning was nearly one thousand dollars and that's with insurance! At that point my mom and I decided to get a 2nd opinion and to look at another dentist. Of course the office manager wasn't too thrilled and gave me a judgmental look.:redface: The experience was incredibly stressful and I never saw the dentist in that office again. He never came back to check in on me or anything. I can't imagine how he would be if he actually did work on me. :confused:

My family and I are going to look for another dental office. One who is friendlier and won't break our pockets. I've started the ball on this and i am definitely going to move forward with my treatment just not with this dentist i saw yesterday.

Carole thanks for waiting up! i'm sorry I didn't come back on here sooner.

wow that is a lot of money! I think you made the right decision I would check out another dentist and another and another if necessary, find one who you are very comfortable with and one that has not got "$" in his eyes. I think you defiantly are making the right decision, but am so sorry that this guy is not the right one, its hard when you are afraid, then to go through all of this just adds to it all.

Thanks bisja!

It really helped to have my mom with me. I was so overwhelmed I almost signed up for their credit card. That would have been a BIG mistake. I just figured that it was normal to be that expensive since I have so many problems. Apparently, its not normal to charge $920 just for a deep cleaning.
o_O

I hope my next visit goes better!

Back