• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mutiple abcesses, swollen gums & broken teeth

F

Fiesty

Hello,
I am nervous about going to the dentist because of the condition of my teeth. I should really start by saying I use to drink a lot of soda pop, and eat lots of candy. I only brushed every once in a blue moon, never flossed because it would get stuck in my teeth.

Well, I had an abcess on my lower left jaw probably 1 or two years ago now, went to the dentist got a prescription, never went back due to money problems (When the medicine ran out the abcess didn't go down either). Over time, the teeth next to it went bad and the abcess came back. I never went to the dentist instead waited for nearly a month as that abcess went down to practically nothing months later. Eventually the broken teeth started to chip away down to the gumline or gone and now my gums? have filled in the dip that was once there.

On the other side of my jaw the same is starting to happen only this time the abcess was slightly larger but was starting to go down. I also had an abcess by my front tooth that would turn my upper lip and a patch near my nose numb but that one went away months ago but has since started to come back slightly higher towards my nose. It's weird but after I had the problem on the left side of my jaw each new time I got an abcess they wouldn't hurt, they'd just swell and go down. This time the pain was dreadful I took one of those Tylenol substitutes with codeine #3 and another the next day well, the pain went away but I think the pill irritated my lower right jaw again because the abcess is large again, noticeably.

I am worried about blood contamination. I have been in and out of dentists offices since I was 8. Each time getting fillings filled, then root canals. I even remember when I was twelve having laughing gas as they pulled out quite a few teeth. I have been so many times that the needle doesn't hurt. I'm just about ready to be done with them and have them all pulled and I'm only 24, however my mother would like me to save the rest. If they can be saved should I just get partials?

Sometimes I hate going to the dentist because they have these insensitive people doing the cleanings, poking me and scraping my teeth then my sore gums, not looking into my mouth instead talking to and looking at their friends who walk in about all the gossip and such. One dentist who I don't go to anymore wouldn't wear a mask so when the light was on and he was leaning over peering into my mouth talking to his assistant I would see (and feel) him spitting in my mouth! :sick: Also when the drill starts going I'd swear they didn't numb me up enough because I'd feel intense pain but they said it was the air from the drill hitting my sensitive teeth, so they'd put those cotton rolls in between my lip and teeth, it did help but are there any other ways around that?

Sorry this is so long, but I feel this is really starting to take a toll on my health and instead of putting it off I'm making an appointment next month and want to know what to expect, and ask. Thanks so much!

Yay, my first post  :jump:

Hi there :welcome:,

great to hear you want to sort things out and get your health back on track :)!

Fiesty said:
I'm just about ready to be done with them and have them all pulled and I'm only 24, however my mother would like me to save the rest. If they can be saved should I just get partials?

It would be a good idea to save the teeth that can be saved. While some people have little problem adapting to dentures, a lot of people find it difficult, especially with full lower dentures. It would be important though to look after them well (i. e. clean them and change your diet, if you haven't already done so).

Sometimes I hate going to the dentist because they have these insensitive people doing the cleanings, poking me and scraping my teeth then my sore gums, not looking into my mouth instead talking to and looking at their friends who walk in about all the gossip and such.

Sounds horrific. Usually, the best way of finding a caring dentist (and the same goes for hygienists!) is by word-of-mouth - that is, recommendations from family members, friends, acquaintances, or work colleagues.

One dentist who I don't go to anymore wouldn't wear a mask so when the light was on and he was leaning over peering into my mouth talking to his assistant I would see (and feel) him spitting in my mouth! :sick:

Not only is this yucky, but it violates cross-infection control regulations...

Also when the drill starts going I'd swear they didn't numb me up enough because I'd feel intense pain but they said it was the air from the drill hitting my sensitive teeth, so they'd put those cotton rolls in between my lip and teeth, it did help but are there any other ways around that?

You need to let your dentist know if you're not numb or otherwise feel pain. There are ways of numbing the areas surrounding a tooth (there are lots of different injections, each numbing different areas of the mouth, but some only numb an individual tooth). So yes, there should be ways around that if you let your dentist know in advance that you have this problem.

Thanks for joining :)!

Hello & welcome!  You've made a huge step forward posting & trying to overcome your dental health.

I too have questioned whether having all my teeth pulled instead of crowns was the right path for me.  I believe I've made the right choice & you will too.  First step is to find a caring dentist.  Listen to letsconnect and ask around.  Once you find a good dentist who you "connect" with (no pun intended Lets) between the two of you, you will come up with a plan of action that is right for you.  The new dentist will discuss the pros & cons of the work needed on your teeth & you just take it one step at a time.  One appointment at a time.  

Try not to look at the amount of work needed but only one tooth at a time and focus on that.  It is overwhelming, I know.  I'm right there with you needing tons of work myself.  Just take this step by step and before you know it you will be smiling wide & knowing it was all worth it!

Keep posting & reading.  This board is a God-send for me.

Thank you for responding.  :) I'm feeling a little better about my upcoming appointment now, but still very nervous. I have one for this Thursday with a dentist that a friend went to. I was wondering if I need to make it earlier or even if I should make a doctor's appointment before that time. I've been waking up the past week with blood and yellow (sometimes green) infection in my mouth/throat. Not bright red blood and it was very little mixed with saliva, etc. When I wake up from sleeping I used to swallow thinking it was saliva, until one day I woke up and it felt like I had something in my mouth so I spit into some tissue and there was the blood,saliva,infection mix. Also it's kind of hard to explain but my ear on that side has been sounding like I'm underwater and I can hear my heart beating, I think I read on another site that also has to do with teeth problems.

Last time I was at the doctor I had/have a heart murmur, starting to become anemic again and my sugar was up. So I'm not sure if the blood mix is dental related or something I should see my doctor about, and which one to go to first? My first thought when this started was that it was my abscess draining from that huge mound to almost nothing so it had to go somewhere. The mix is always there when I wake up now, I don't even have to be asleep in my bed, I fell asleep in my chair the other day sitting up and it was there as well.

I'm concerned more now because the blood is more red, there seems to be more of it as well. Tonight when I was using the salt water rinse I saw a little blood, went and looked in the mirror it was from the my wisdom tooth in the back on the side where the abscess is. The wisdom tooth has a deep hole in it and my skin from my jaw is more closely attached to the gums there than anywhere else in my mouth, so much that I could barely see the tooth so I'm thinking the pus and blood is draining from my gums and going out from that tooth into my mouth????

This development has me starting to dread my upcoming appointment and now fearful or a doctor's appointment to hear that "I've got some really bad news" line.  :scared:BTW throughout the day I would spit into some paper towel and the mix wouldn't be there so it has me wondering why it's only when I sleep.

Great to hear you managed to get an appointment - well done :thumbsup: :jump:!!

Not sure about your actual questions - you're saying that the blood is actually coming from the infected wisdom tooth. What exactly are you worried about with regards to the doctor and "bad news"?
It sounds like you may need antibiotics to get rid of the infection, and a doctor could prescribe something if you can't see your new dentist earlier than Thursday. Sorry I can't give any better advice, but (a) I'm not a dentist or doctor and (b) I suppose even they would have to actually see the infected area to give more specific advice. Personally, I might see a doctor if I couldn't get an emergency appointment with the dentist and get started on a course of antibiotics if these are necessary.

Please keep us updated, and best of luck :thumbsup:
:grouphug:

hi fiesty
just to say i too thought id rather have them all pulled out than anything else but even though i sometimes think this fear is taking over my life im so glad i didnt we will all get there in the end :hug2:

Back