• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made the first appointment...going in tomorrow!

The oral sedation will make you so laid back you will be horizontal more or less ;) It is all going to be very daunting, and you will go through a whole host of emotions. I don't have experience of implants, and so am sorry cant comment. I will however, be thinking about you, and hoping that you get through all of this without too much anxiety.

Take care.

Kim

Thank you so much for taking the time to post in here :) I appreciate your support! I hope the oral sedation dopes me up good. I just want to be calm enough for the anxiety to not make me pass out. Heck - I almost hit the floor SIGNING PAPERWORK. Jeeze. I feel like such a huge huge huge wimp!

I can't believe in 24 hours I will be taking the pills to go to my appointment. I am SO scared. Petrified. Can't believe I am actually doing this. BUT, I know after the appointment that the pain in my mouth will be moving towards healing where the pain I have every day isn't progressing anywhere towards getting better on its own.

Things have been really rough the last few weeks. Things at work are so uncertain and they are restructuring departments and I am not sure what my job will be next week (or if I'll even have one :( ) I've been a mess emotionally and although I think some of it is stress I think my birth control was making me go wacko. I had to come off of that and my hormones are all over the place. I truly do not know what to do with everything right now. I feel so guilty for carrying a debt on a credit card but I HAD to get my teeth done. I feel so stressed, uncertain about my job, scared to death by the appointment, I feel like I am being a terrible wife and mother right now. I don't have any patience and I'm tired, short tempered and really grumpy and distracted all the time.

I certainly hope getting this out of the way will help. I feel really overwhelmed right now. At least my OBGYN called yesterday to tell me my results were OK this time. Had to have a follow up after discovering abnormal cells and doing cryo-therapy to my cervix. That is one thing off my mind, but then I came home from work yesterday and had another problem. I was helping out a buddy at work to get his girlfriend a gift (I used my discount at Coach to get her a wristlet.) Well, it was to be delivered yesterday and I was taking it to the office today for him. SOMEONE STOLE IT! They delivered it at 11:53 am and my hubby came for lunch at 12:05 and it was gone. Seriously!?

Fortunately Coach has the most AMAZING customer service. I called the store I ordered it from and the ordered another one (as they had none left in the store) immediately and overnighted it. Well, I will be in dental hell on Thursday so they had it overnigthed to the store and made a note so my friend can pick it up. They are SO amazing. I love them! At least that had a happy ending, but it ate up 2 hours of my evening yesterday.

OK, off to get ready for work. Have to get ready for my review with my supervisor today. Almost two years since I have had a review and he schedules it for the morning before my dental appointment. What gives? Maybe they all figure the stress will help me lose weight ;)

Last edited:
The anxiety is really starting to get to me, the good old "whoosh" feeling in my belly whenever I think about it. I can't believe I am actually doing this.

The office called me earlier. The dentist was taking a look at my xrays and treatment plan and they called to ask about doing 4 fillings that needed to be done while they were working on everything else. I agreed to get them done, that should be one whole quarter of my mouth done, the worst quarter. The top right side needed 2 extractions, an implant, a build up and crown and 4 fillings. I am getting ALL of it done at once tomorrow along with an extraction on the left that is about 18 months past needing to be pulled.

Super anxious now, but I think I can do this. I know I can get through it, just scared. Super duper super extra scared.

Deep breaths. Nearly there. Go into robot mode if you have to. Get ready one step at a time and concentrate on each step. You will be absolutely fine once you are there. You are doing the most difficult bit now.

I look forward to reading your:jump:post, when you have recovered of course!

Deep breaths. Nearly there. Go into robot mode if you have to. Get ready one step at a time and concentrate on each step. You will be absolutely fine once you are there. You are doing the most difficult bit now.

I look forward to reading your:jump:post, when you have recovered of course!

I'm just nervous about how bad I'm going to feel afterwards or how much anxiety I will have during the appointment. Blah.

I keep trying to focus on one major thing - once my mouth hurts tomorrow, it will ONLY GET BETTER. Right now when it hurts, I have no clue if it is going to get worse in ten minutes or not. The pain I may feel after the procedure is the beginning of my recovery. The pain I feel now is progressively getting worse and indicative of a problem. The pain I will feel tomorrow will be indicative of recovery.

Trying to be brave! EEK!

Kind of a good thing that my teeth are hurting today. It keeps reminding me why I am going.

:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2:

Thinking of you sweetie, a lot of us have been where you are right now, and sooooo know you will come out the other side breathing such a huge sigh of relief xx
:hug2:

:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2:

Thinking of you sweetie, a lot of us have been where you are right now, and sooooo know you will come out the other side breathing such a huge sigh of relief xx
:hug2:

Thank you! I appreciate everything :) I know I will be ok afterwards! Instead of counting down the hours until thte appointment, I'm counting down the time until my teeth are fixed. So much fear is in the way you look at things. I'm trying REALLY hard to be an optimist :)

(Plus, I got a 10% raise at work today! My nerves about the restructuring were unfounded. Things turned out great!)

Once the dental work is done, I'm 50% to a new reward for myself. Once I drop some weight, I will be buying myself a HUGE treat! I keep focusing on the good :)

I am sooooo happy that things are turning on the up for you, and how cool is that getting a rise and no restructuring - whooping it up for you.

You have a positive attitude here, and so I am sure that you will get along just fine, in every part of your life xx

Well, it's the night before. I am anxious but not hysterical and crying. Finding myself more calm then I thought I would be. Just tired honestly. A full time job with overtime, a 7 month old and stress will do that to you!

I know I am making progress in my life. I have a feeling I will be so exhausted after this appointment I could sleep for days. I have so much stress, build up and anxiety towards this appointment that has been building for years. This is a huge step for me, a huge step in the right direction of self improvement, moving past years of self loathing. I wish I could accomplish everything in one day, but I can't. I have to start with one thing. Teeth. Something so many people take for granted has consumed so much of my life. I remember the exact time my first tooth broke.

I had a sore throat. It was time for bed but I got up and got a sore throat lozenge. About halfway through it, I felt something odd clunking around in my mouth with the lozenge. It was half of my upper right canine. I was DEVASTATED. From then on, I remember where teeth broke, every bad experience, every tooth lost and every mental resolve that this is it, I am REALLY going to take care of it this time. But I always had an excuse. Never had the money, never had the time, I'd go eventually. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was. You couldn't see it when I smiled. I was careful, I didn't chew near the fragile tooth, I'd be fine.

I got that root canal done and it wasn't a big deal, but it was all the money I had and honestly my teeth were never a priority. I thought, "Someday I'll get that crown. Someday when I have a good job." Well, it took 7 years. SEVEN years before my husband (who didn't know me then) pushed me, helped me, and 7 years before I was out of excuses. You CAN see it when I smile. I DO have a good job. I CAN afford it. I DO have insurance. I HAVE someone to set an example for. I have to do this.

In those seven years, the next tooth broke on a piece of bacon in a turkey club sandwich I was eating in my car at Arbys. The next one was at CiCi's pizza, a piece of crust broke off my whole molar. The inlaws house for dinner, a piece of something hard in a salad. Standing in line at CVS pharmacy, the whole inside and filling of a tooth came out. Each one is ingrained in my memory and with each lost piece of tooth, I knew in my heart I was one step closer to HAVE to go to the dentist.

I'm NOT looking forward to tomorrow. But the anxiety is stressing me out so much, I just want it to be over already. DONE. Finished. Over. That is what I want.

Wish me luck everyone. I feel braindead and emotionally drained.

Thanks to all of the people who are supporting me, it means SO much for others who understand this to be here for me.

I am so with you in remembering all the bits of teeth that broke. You are already out of that nightmare situation because you are getting your teeth fixed. You are in control of your teeth instead of the other way round. I used to chant this in my head when the anxiety got bad.

Your stress is understandable, just try to do each step necessary to get to the appointment, concentrating on that step. (Would you know that I was a closet Bhuddist?)

Popular opinion seems to be that it is a good idea to take painkillers before the numbness wears off. Afterwards, everything that happens is a positive step towards healing.

The stress/waiting is nearly over. That is the most draining part. Go, go, go!

I am so with you in remembering all the bits of teeth that broke. You are already out of that nightmare situation because you are getting your teeth fixed. You are in control of your teeth instead of the other way round. I used to chant this in my head when the anxiety got bad.

Your stress is understandable, just try to do each step necessary to get to the appointment, concentrating on that step. (Would you know that I was a closet Bhuddist?)

Popular opinion seems to be that it is a good idea to take painkillers before the numbness wears off. Afterwards, everything that happens is a positive step towards healing.

The stress/waiting is nearly over. That is the most draining part. Go, go, go!

Thank you. I am thinking over and over that in 6 hours when I am home, I'll be SO glad I did it. I'll just be so glad it's done. I'm focusing on breathing and the positive. Good, happy thoughts of nice teeth.

I can't believe in just over an hour I will be at the appointment. I have to get ready in a minute but wow - I am so anxious and nervous!

I dozed off on the couch last night as I was SO tired. All of a sudden, I woke up TERRIFIED. It was so weird. I wasn't dreaming about anything, it was like I woke and realized it was closer and panicked. I hate being scared. I've never liked scary movies or haunted houses or anything - I HATE that feeling.

OK, well I have to get going...I'll update later...wish me luck!

I am typing this, but you should be there by now, loads of positive vibes coming your way hunni - stay strong.

Kim

I made it. I am through to the other side.

I work up this morning and wasn't as panicked as I thought I would be. I don't remember a whole lot of today, so I want to type this before I lose it.

I woke up and hit the snooze a lot. I finally rolled out of bed because I hsd 3 pills to take at 600 am, 90 minutes prior to the appointment that I had to take and I wasn't messing with that! I wanted to make sure my meds were taken on time. Well, when I got to the dentist, I was OK. I remember my husband parking and he helping me walk in, I was a little loops but still VERY coherent. We got in and I laid on a chair until they called me back, about 3 minutes. They took me in to a normal room and dimmed all the lights and gave me a blanket. Then they put the nitrous on me and gave me one more pill (which I found out later was a tranquilizer.) Well, after another 30 minutes I was still pretty coherent and conscious. They gave me 2 more pills and let me be about 10 minutes. I think.

My perception of time couldn't be the best lol. I remember the same sweet doctor who helped me when I was passing out the other day come in and tell me he was going to be helping with the implant and I was completely fine, he seems wonderful. My dentist came in and was talking to me, reassuring me they were going to take care of me and I will be OK.

They started to do a filling. I needed 3 on that side, not 4 as previously discussed. (it has been over 10 years since I had a filling, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself, this is NOT bad at all. I could do this. Fillings are no big deal. I really wanted to make sure I blogged before I lost that memory. The sound, feeling, etc was FINE. I can EASILY do fillings.

Then, I believe they filled and cured the fillings using the light...they use this for white fillings I think? Not sure.

OK, then I think they moved on towards the upper right canine and drilled it, posted it and got it prepped for a crown. I am mad I didn't take a before picture, but most people here wouldn't have found it to be very interesting. Most all of my work is in the back so seeing my teeth wouldn't look like there was much wrong. Anyhow, the temporary crown they have on there is amazing. I can't wait to be able to smile again!

I heard the dentist who was assisting with the implant in the office talking about not being sure, something about a one or two part something or other, I have no clue. But they were discussing the implant.

In my mind I knew the extractions were coming. I had a little anxiety about those, and all of a sudden the nurse had a little light in front of me again and was trying to talk to me...she had a wheelchair for me to get in to. I was done. It was time to go home.

I rode with my husband to go get my daughter from day care and came home. I don't remember much about coming home except my hubby put my laptop in the bedroom with a glass of water and my phones and an extra blanket. I went right to sleep. He filled my prescriptions for my while I was at the appointment so I am all set. I can't believe the relief and the anxiousness to get this worked on more to get towards the end. I'm excited to finish my journey, but still very apprehensive.

Thank you to you all for your support. There will be more days, more procedures, more appointments and I guarantee more anxiety. I'll be right here to share it all with you and help you with any experiences I may have :)

Congratulations on "getting to the other side"!!!!!!!:welldone:
I know in the days before my IV sedation for my extractions, I spent most of my free time right in this forum, ranting and venting in my journal. Reading the journals of those brave souls that had gone through this before me and had success.
I quite honestly don't think I ever would have went through with my first appointment if it wasn't for the support of all these wonderful people in this forum!!
Now YOU are one of the stories that new people will read to gain courage from, :respect:.
Happy healing.
Congrats again!!!!!:jump:

Congratulations on "getting to the other side"!!!!!!!:welldone:
I know in the days before my IV sedation for my extractions, I spent most of my free time right in this forum, ranting and venting in my journal. Reading the journals of those brave souls that had gone through this before me and had success.
I quite honestly don't think I ever would have went through with my first appointment if it wasn't for the support of all these wonderful people in this forum!!
Now YOU are one of the stories that new people will read to gain courage from, :respect:.
Happy healing.
Congrats again!!!!!:jump:

Thank you so much. I've been lurking on this board for years, and always found this section amazing. Always wished I could be a success story. I can't believe I am on my way there!

Funny story. I usually wear a mouthguard at night, a plastic football one. Had the gauze in my mouth during the night so I wouldn't use the mouthguard over the spot where I had the implant as it says not to cover it with dentures. Welllll......I had a dream I was eating a cinnamon roll. I swallowed 2 - 2x2 pieces of gauze. Google says I should live. I just feel like a moron now lol!

:cheer:

Have a little pompom dancer!

Really glad it went OK.
You should be feeling really pleased with yourself.
Hold that feeling, you are gaining control.
Happy healing!

Thank you so much. I've been lurking on this board for years, and always found this section amazing. Always wished I could be a success story. I can't believe I am on my way there!

Funny story. I usually wear a mouthguard at night, a plastic football one. Had the gauze in my mouth during the night so I wouldn't use the mouthguard over the spot where I had the implant as it says not to cover it with dentures. Welllll......I had a dream I was eating a cinnamon roll. I swallowed 2 - 2x2 pieces of gauze. Google says I should live. I just feel like a moron now lol!
:ROFLMAO:!!!!! Well, at least you had a pleasant dream (or maybe it wasn't pleasant, if you don't like cinnamon rolls, :)) Thank goodness you didn't choke on the gauze.

Hi there!!

I am just starting my journey (when i finally make my first appointment in 15 years). i just want to say well done to you and what an inspiration people like you are! Congratulations on taking control!! :jump::welldone::cheer:

The last dentist was one where he was recommended to me from someone at work and they thought he was great and so did everyone in his office, he just wasn't for me. The 20 minutes to pull a tooth and seeming like an inconvenience to him was terrible. I just seem to have the WORST luck when it comes to finding a dentist! I am DETERMINED now to find one. I know my teeth are not going to get better on their own and I have a goal. I am 27 and I am DETERMINED that by 30, I will be in better shape physically, mentally, orally, everything than I was when I was 20. I am going to take care of myself to set an example for my daughter and because I need to be here for her too! My hubby is so supportive too - I feel like I am finally ready to face everything that is happening. I CAN do this. I WILL do this. I will report back tomorrow after the appointment. All I need is a good dentist to help me!

Good luck to you in your journey as well! The first step is the hardest - at least we are both making some progress!!
It has been a couple of years since I have posted on here, but I just wanted to report back that......

I did it! The only thing I have left is to get my implant placed - the crown part. It's been in my jaw for over 2 years. I am not sure what ever made me swing back this way...but I am going to be 30 in a few days (Tuesday actually) and I remember this post in particular. Saying I would be better at 30 than I was at 20...

I can smile now. I can smile without worrying about what people think of me. I truly am confident in my smile and I love my dentist. I had quite the trying journey once I found him (he left the facility and I had to hunt him down!) but I will have to write that out while I am not at work.

Overall, I think every tooth in my mouth except 4 were worked on. BUT - they look good - I FEEL good and I am so happy I achieved this goal of mine. I have lost almost 30 pounds since I wrote the post I quoted here and am on my path to a better life health wise :) I work out 4 - 6 days a week and feel great.

I just want others to know there IS hope. I still get nervous when I go...but I have accomplished what I set out to!

I will write a good long entry soon. I hope everyone has a great weekend!:jump:

Back