Thread: Tooth Pain after Bad Bite is fixed

Default Tooth Pain after Bad Bite is fixed

Long story! I went to the dentist two weeks ago because my amalgam filling was leaking. The dentist replaced two fillings (upper teeth a premolar and a molar) with white fillings. He did not file down the fillings enough so I couldn't close my mouth properly. I went back the next day and he "fixed" my bite but it wasnt fixed. My jaw was closing wrong - the next day I was in agony - sore teeth, sore jaw, sore mouth. Called the dentist on the weekend and he filed down the fillings more (too much).

My pain was relieved temporarily and then it started to flare up. The entire time this is happening I am trying to get comfortable and end up grinding my teeth together and they are so sore. I find another dentist who sees that the fillings are too low. He puts in sealant and corrects my bite again. It is better but still off. More teeth grinding more pain. I go back again and it is still slightly off but now my teeth are so inflamed I cant tell what is right and what isnt.

The weekend hits and I am crying in pain. I call the dentist he meets me files down one tooth and then checks to see if I need a root canal. No root canal needed my teeth are not sensitive to hot or cold. Xray shows no root canal needed.

The dentist advises that three of my teeth are very inflamed. The two that had the fillings and one next to it. He says I need to take 7 days to let it calm down - need to take acetominaphin to reduce inflammation. I cannot take acetominaphin because I get acid reflux so I take tylenol. My bite is OK now (not perfect it will need slight adjustment but to be honest it is pretty darn good (one tooth is not high enough so doesnt touch my bottom teeth) and I do not want to go the dentist again for at least a month or two).

So Sunday I am ok - I take Tylenol and am ok, Sunday night teeth grinding I actually wake myself up due to the pain -next day upper and lower teeth hurt like heck. Try to relax. Today is Wed and the first day I can go without taking tylenol. However, after I eat my teeth still ache and if I close my mouth for a while so my teeth touch they will ache quite a bit afterward.

The pain does seem to be going away (very SLOWLY) ... but I make sure that my mouth is always slightly open and that I chew on the opposite side of my mouth. The past two nights when I am sleeping my teeth do not hurt anymore. Today when I woke up they hurt for a while then it went away (first day without taking Tylenol).

My question is - with all the drilling and tooth grinding and resulting horrible inflammation - how long should it take for the inflammation to subside?

THANK YOU !!!

Default Re: Tooth Pain after Bad Bite is fixed

Also, the dentist said when all the inflammation subsides - he will fix my bite if needed. He said I may find that I wont need it fixed after the pain goes away I may realize my bite is ok. It seems ok (cant tell yet for absolute sure due to pain) and I agree that I want to wait for the pain to subside because obviously I dont want anymore drilling.

Default Re: Tooth Pain after Bad Bite is fixed

It can take quite a while unfortunately, sometimes a few weeks. The stress of it all is probably making you grind in your sleep, so your aggravating things then.