Thread: Pain in tooth or gum next to extracted tooth

Default Pain in tooth or gum next to extracted tooth

So last month I had #2 tooth extracted.
      Is it normal for #3 to be sensitive to cold now??

I figure because the one side of #3 used to be protected from cold liquids by tooth #2, once I had #2 pulled the protected side of #3 was exposed and now I get sharp "pain" (its not really pain but no better word to describe) whenever I drink anything cold.

Is my logic correct? I mean that side of the tooth has never been in contact with anything cold because there was another tooth behind it for 15 years, and now that other tooth is gone so this one is cold sensitive??

Is this right? or do I need to see a dentist about this sensitivity???
      Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.

Default Re: Is it "normal"...

Yes, you're almost completely correct.

Your theory is only slightly wrong, the reason for the sensitivity is actually because there's been a little bit of bone lost on the side of the tooth where the extraction was carried out, this has caused a small area of the root on the sensitive tooth to be exposed to the oral environment and that's caused the sensitivity.

It will get better in time, but if you want to hurry things along, then the old favourite of sensitive tooth toothpaste will help, or you can go back to your dentist and get them to treat it.

It doesn't happen to everybody but it's not that uncommon.

Think we'll make this a sticky post for future reference, hope this is OK with you?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon For This Useful Post:

MidnightCaller (10th January 2013), Patti (20th May 2012)

Default Re: Is it "normal"...

Totally fine.
      Just wanted to know whats up.
      Thanks Gordon.
      Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.

Important Gum and tooth next to extraction site sore

The tooth next to the 1st lower molar I had removed 12 days ago has felt a bit strange for about a week or so now, I felt around it & the gum beneath it & the gum felt softer than normal. I know I shouldn't have done this, however I have OCD & other anxiety disorders & at times this can lead to things like compulsive checking of parts of my body, etc. So I felt like compulsions to push the gum area with my tongue & then it felt like the tooth was moving upwards so I started pushing downwards on the top of the tooth with my tongue, I repeated this on & off for a little while, finally after being panicked I did it in front of a mirror & couldn't see the tooth looking like it was moving so assumed I was just imagining things. Problem is afterward that tooth & gum have been sore off & on, this wasn't an issue before. Placing pressure on it like tooth brushing causes some pain as well.

I'm just worried I did some damage or something scary. I know I shouldn't have done what I did & wont again even if I'm tempted but I can't change it now.
      Money is supposed to make the world go round but I prefer to think it's actually love.

Default Re: I'm worried I might have damaged something

You won't have damaged anything.

Sometimes the tooth next to an extraction site gets a bit traumatised during the process, it can take time to settle down and some wiggling around can make it a bit more tender for a while. No chance of any lasting damage though

Default Is this a cavity? - please help

Hello,

Since about a week, my last molar on the upper right is sensitive when I brush my teeth. I can't say it's pain but something feels funny.

It is only when I brush my teeth. Not when eating, drinking or with hot or cold.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in April, but since it is now July I doubt that could have anything to do with it.

When I just brush the tooth itself I don't feel anything. I just feel it when I brush in the gum area, especially when I brush the back of the tooth (where the wisdom tooth used to be next to it). Again, it's not really pain, more a sensitivity. My gums feel fine otherwise and there is no bleeding or anything like that.

I had my last full check up at the dentist in May. Everything looked good then, no cavitities.

I don't have much experience with cavities. Could this be one? Dentistry is pretty expensive (don't have dental insurance) and since I've just been in May I don't want to rush there again.
      I've been putting some toothpaste for sensitive teeth on the spot each night before going to bed. This seems to make it a little less.

Please give me your opinions. Is this a cavity and do I need to see a dentist or is this just a sensitive tooth?

Thanks!

Default Re: Is this a cavity? - please help

Hi
      It sounds as if the gum has retreated a bit. It happens often after a tooth extraction that the gums at the adjacent teeth recess a bit. As a result an area uncovered by enamel becomes a bit exposed hence sensitivity for brushing.
      It is not a cavity.
      Keep on brushing (gently) using toothpaste for sensitive teeth or with high concentration of fluoride. If it does not help, your dentist or oral hygienist can smear some materials which protect the sensitive area.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

Thanks Daniel! You've put my mind at ease.

The extraction was in April and the sensitivity just started last week. Is it normal for it to take this long for this kind of problem to start?

Yes. It takes up till 6 weeks until the gum reaches its final shape and height.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Daniel For This Useful Post:

Bobster (16th October 2013), misti (18th March 2013)