• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to dentist for the first time in 20 years

G

Former Member
Tomorrow I go to the dentist for the first time in about 20 years. The reason that I'm finally going isn't because of a toothache but because my wife finally talked me into.

I keep trying to tell myself that the experience won't be as bad as I think. One reason that I've been able to semi-convince myself is that in the past 20 years, I've never had a toothache, and the only time that my gums bleed is if I brush too hard. I do have what appears to be tartar along the gumline.

I've also used fluoride (mainly ACT) once a day since childhood, and Listerine twice a day for about the past 10 years. I brush at least twice a day, and never more than three times a day.

So if I've never had a toothache, a loose tooth or constantly bleeding gums, and I've taken good care of my teeth short of going to a dentist, is it safe to assume that my teeth and gums are in pretty good shape?

Re: Going to dentist for the first time in 20 year

Hi Tim, :welcome:
Without seeing your teeth it is impossible to know what condition they are in. It sounds like they are in pretty good shape. The problem is that teeth can have holes in them and not be painful! (I should know- I've just taken routine xrays of my own teeth and discovered that the only filling that I have ever had has got decay under it!!!! :cry:) The pain only comes when the hole has got to the nerve - and I for one amn't going to wait for that to happen! ;D
If you use fluoride toothpaste and have a good oral hygiene regieme then your teeth should be generally not bad. Don't be concerened or worried however if the dentist recommends that you need a couple of small fillings. If (s)he does- ask to see the tooth in the mirror or to see the xray and have the problem explained. You will almost certainly need to have the calculus (tartar) cleaned off. Remember that your first appointment will be a check up only. The dentist may take xrays also. If you aren't comfortable having the teeth cleaned that day- don't let the dentist talk you into it. Don't be afraid to tell them that it has been many years since you have seen a dentist and that you are a bit uneasy. You may be pleasantly surprised by how much reassurance you will get!
I know that I can't answer your question with certainty but I hope that this goes some way to explain things a little.
Cheers,
Mike

Just got back from the dentist. Despite 20 years, I don't have a single cavity. What a shock. I do need some deep cleaning to remove the toughest tartar, and two wisdom teeth that should eventually come out, but overall, my mouth is in decent shape.

The overall experience was good, too. No pain -- not even discomfort. The only unpleasant part was coming to terms with someone digging around in my mouth. But I can say with a straight face that the exam and cleaning didn't hurt a bit.

So take heart: Just because you haven't been to the dentist in decades doesn't necessarily mean that you'll need extensive work.

If you have any questions about my experience, or are looking for insight into what it's like to be back after so long, post a message here, and I'll answer as best I can.

Thanks for coming back and telling us how it went.

Glad to hear that it all went well (dentistry has come a long way in 20 years, hasn't it :))

G.

Back