• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

It's ruining my life :(

R

Rhiannon

Hi there. I'm 23 years old, and I have very bad teeth. Top row *Counts*.. 5 Broken teeth, about half the tooth. Two actual holes in my gum where teeth should be. And rabbit teeth at the top. On of them is okay, one is half gone.
Bottom row front 4 are there.. but breaking at the bottom, and all the back ones are nearly gone.

I thought about going to the dentist so many times, But I just can't bring myself to it. Makes me sick just thinking about them putting their fingers in my mouth and touching any, because I know it will hurt.

Every day for at least 3 weeks, I've had pain. Pain that makes me cry, shake, pull my hair out, swear. Yet I still can't bring myself to go. Its pathetic I know :(

I've got two small children, and I was going to take my two year old out today. But the pain was unbearable and I couldn't leave the house. Just sat on the sofa with my head in my hands crying and taking ibuprofen.

It's really ruining my life. I have no social life because I'm so conscious of people looking at my teeth & judging. I don't go out in case the pain comes and I have to stand there shaking in pain red faced infront of people. Which has happened before.

I was looking at the common fears and I think Its the Drill, Embarrassment, pain & Cant get numb.

I just want to be pain free, it's not about the smile anymore :(

hey there,

i totally no how you feel i have 2 broken teeth broken off at the gum line and one thats got a broken bit in it iv suffered many many toothaches
abscesses gum swelling the works so i no exactly how you feel the thought of the dentist just makes me cry shake and physically be sick i hate it its ridiculous.

friday night i was in agony i was taking tablets swigging whiskey oralgel all sorts of stuff i feel your pain and i guess its easy for people to say go to the dentist but they dont understand....

finally thought iv registered and made an apppointment for the dentist friday and although im scared this website is kind of giving me a little courage seeing so many people with fears such as ares saying that it really isnt as bad as it seems and they wish they had done it sooner.....

im tired of living in pain tooo so thats why i did it.... maybe try phoning your dentist tell them your a complete pheobic the way im looking at it now is the dentist cannot do anything to me that would hurt more than the agony i have been in later and how much better my teeth would be after wards not the best advice in the world but i hope you can find the courage to go eventually u can always message me if u need some support n i can suremy exeperince with u after my big day next fridday i hope u feel better soooon xxxx :cool:

Rhiannon,
Let me speak on behalf of this community, we all understand what you're going through, we all experience the same fears you have just listed.
I have not seen a dentist yet, I HAVE to and I will eventually get there once I can work up the courage to make an appointment. I too am afraid of more pain, embarrassment, the drill. But we will all get through this.

If you need to talk, please don't hesitate to message me.

Jamie:)

Just sat on the sofa with my head in my hands crying and taking ibuprofen.

I can relate to this, and I only had one deep cavity in a wisdom tooth and another needing a root canal. I recall on the last day before deciding to go ahead with extraction, sitting on the bathroom floor crying (as painkillers would no longer touch it) and trying different positions, holding cold and hot things against it, just feeling desperation and misery.

I sometimes think in life you've got to get to the lowest point to find a way to climb back up, and this is one of those times.

You can get your life back to where you want it to be, you can recover your health, you can overcome this, but it will require you to take control and take some brave steps. It may feel agonisingly hard, even beyond what you feel you can ever do, but countless people on this website have been where you are now, and overcome their fears. Your dental health is not only affecting your happiness, health and social life, it is affecting your young family. No matter how hard you try to 'get through it', your unhappiness will be felt by your little ones. Can you imagine being free from pain and not even thinking about your teeth at all ? You CAN get to that point. Read on here, the success stories, so many of them, written by people who have stood in your shoes.

There is no reason for a young mother like yourself to be suffering in this way, you can feel relief and a new spring in your step, but you just have to take that first step - finding the dentist who can help you slowly through your fears.

Have you had any recommendations from any friends at all ?

Up until I got to where I am today, I would never even dream of talking about dentists to my close family, let alone friends. Then I landed down to earth with a bump when my crown came off while I was at the start of my holiday in Australia!! I remember sitting on my bed, crying like a baby and texting my hubby, saying that my worst nightmare had begun:o

I came home, and as much as I didn't want to address the problem, just knew that I had no choice - well I did - I could carry on like this until one by one my other crowns broke, or I could start my journey to sort something out, so that I could carry on with my life.

And that is how I have got to where I am today, I am still terrified of what is to come for me, but with everyone's help and support, I will come through the other side. And it is true what Carys said, your feeling bad and down, will have an inevitable effect on your children, so you need to take your own 'baby steps' and will get to where you need to be with people's support, and yes, we all do know on here from one experience or another how you feel.

:clover:

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 20 years old and will have to go in to get 11 extractions and 6 fillings. I'm not at the point where I can go to the dentist to get treatment either. My advice would be just ease into it. Try talking to people about dentists, try talking to dentists knowing you won't get anything in your mouth. It has helped me a lot so far.

Viennarose - have you seen a dentist to know that is what you need doing?

Viennarose - have you seen a dentist to know that is what you need doing?
Yeah, I've been to a few now. All I've ever been able to do is get Xrays so far though.