• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally did the numbing BUT...

D

dave83

I got a local anesthetic for the first time, which was my biggest fear(not the needle, the sensation.)
Anyway i was ok with the sensation, but some of the anesthetic ran down my throat, and i panicked slightly and thought my throat was numb.
My question is can local anesthetic running down your throat make it numb, or does it only effect the nerves when injected?

Well, I can answer this with absolute conviction. I had exactly this happen to me when I had my LA injections a few months ago and boy did I painc, I sat up at incredible speed and had to be calmly told that it can happen now and again and it is fine etc. It did not cause any numb sensation AT ALL, nothing, it was no different to having water run down my throat. I thought the same as you , that any moment my throat was about to become numb and I would not able to swallow or breathe. Nope, all fine. I will say however that in the same sitting I had a little bit of the topical numbing liquid go down my throat, that obviously did cause a numb throat feelings down one side......logical isn't it as it is topical lol ! Yet again, panic set in, it was explained to me that whilst it may feel numb my throat would still behave as Norma, with regard to swallowing...and it did. The sensation from the topical stuff only lasted a few minutes anyway. Hope this helps.

I got a local anesthetic for the first time, which was my biggest fear(not the needle, the sensation.)
Anyway i was ok with the sensation, but some of the anesthetic ran down my throat, and i panicked slightly and thought my throat was numb.
My question is can local anesthetic running down your throat make it numb, or does it only effect the nerves when injected?

Well done for facing your fears, did everything go ok?

I would be 99.9% sure to be effective it has to be injected, just swallowing a little (I've had it happen a few times also) wouldn't numb your throat or harm you.

Well done for facing your fears, did everything go ok?

I would be 99.9% sure to be effective it has to be injected, just swallowing a little (I've had it happen a few times also) wouldn't numb your throat or harm you.

Everything was ok thanks, I think because i was so nervous about the sensation of LA effecting my throat i panicked when it ran down my throat, but in hindsight, my throat didn't go numb.

Back