• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help

A

angela1969

Hi
I am in need of help!! I have to go in to a Oral sugeon soon to have all my bottom teeth out and my plate put it.. I am nervouse because im afraid of dieing. Or I will have a severe reaction to vovicaine. I had this done 15 years ago on my top and had my upper plate put in it all went well.,But i know that the bottom is more sensitive. and i am worried about some kinda (Shock ) problem or somthing crazy happening. I really want and need it done but I am worried i will have a bad reaction or i wont get use to the numbing. Help??
:scared:

Hi Angela,

I didn't have the same work done as you are having, BUT I had the same fears, exactly.....a reaction to the LA, going in to shock, having a heart attack etc. etc. etc. I actually wrote a journal when trying to overcome the fear.

It may interest you to know that dentists keep (hidden but close to hand) in their offices emergency life-saving equipment in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event of anything ever happening. My dentist showed me his (so to speak lol) and told me about their training to deal with patients who had reactions or complications - however - in all his years of practice he had never ever had it happened and never known anyone who had needed to employ life-saving skills. So, it must be incredibly, hugely, massively rare to have any sort of reaction, or serious complication. There are some pages on this site that talk about the fears you have - fears of the LA and so on. I read those pages over and over to reassure myself.

When I had my injections and extraction I seriously thought I was going to my execution. I was entirely convinced that the injection would somehow kill me....and well....here I am having had more injections since.

I felt I was going to die when I had a GA for the removal of an ingrowing toenail many moons ago. I was frantic, and I remember the house officer checking my pulse and saying how scared he could see I was. I was put under - don't even remember getting to 10 and when my eye's opened, I was surrounded by everything white, so I figured I must have died and gone to heaven...... until I heard a male's voice ask 'I need to pee (not his exact words)' and then seeing a nurse dash by with a bottle. I was far from heaven, I was in fact in the recovery room ;)

You will be fine I am sure, so good luck to you and I hope you get it done sooner rather than later.

Kim

Back