• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicking

D

dave83

I got numbed for the first time a few weeks back, which i was very nervous about, but everything went fine, it was my upper teeth that got numbed.
I now have to get numbed for my lower teeth, my dentist told me she would have to do a nerve block and one side of my tongue would go numb, i'm panicking because of the numb tongue feeling.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the top being numb and the bottom (sensation wise).

I got numbed for the first time a few weeks back, which i was very nervous about, but everything went fine, it was my upper teeth that got numbed.<br>
I now have to get numbed for my lower teeth, my dentist told me she would have to do a nerve block and one side of my tongue would go numb, i'm panicking because of the numb tongue feeling.<br>
Can anyone tell me the difference between the top being numb and the bottom (sensation wise).

I think the bottom makes you drool more (not really any help me telling you that is it :p )

As for your tongue you can still feel pressure, so if you push your tongue anywhere in your mouth it will all still have feeling its not like you won't be able to feel anything at all, I guess it kinda feels like when you drink a hot drink and your tongue feels a bit funny, just like that really.

As Darren said you can still feel your tongue. From memory it's not a lot different from the top being numbed, I actually like it better (if it's possible to like a treatment better lol) because I find with the top I can't feel my breath come out of my nose and that's a weird feeling.

Hi
Here is an idea: maybe you can ask your dentist first to give you a minimal amount of anesthesia with a solution that get diluted very fast so that the sensation of the numbed tongue will stay only for a few minutes.
Even if you will not be able to bare the sensation of the numbed tongue, it will come to the regular filling within a few minutes. And if you feel that it this feeling is OK and doable for you, than allow your dentist to give more substance, than the feeling of numbness on the tongue will become more vivid but basicly with the same nature.
In short, I suggest getting to know this sensation gradually :)

Back