• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My first post. Meanie dentist =(

M

mistylouise

I've had a fear of dentists ever since I can remember. When I was 16 I had to have 3 teeth extracted under IV sedation, even though I was knocked out, I was still screaming. That was nearly 9 years ago. I finally plucked up the courage to see the dentist when part of my tooth just crumbled off. I was so proud of myself for taking that first step. The dentist told me I needed quiet a bit of work done but that I could be put under general anaesthetic, which eased my mind loads.
I got referred to another dentist whom I saw today. He was a really nice guy and seemed to understand my fear. But now he wants to try and CURE my phobia rather than give me an easy way out. So he's booked me in for 4 sessions over a month and a half and he said we'll start with a scale and polish using gas and air. I am SO NOT ready for this. I'm crapping my pants. I was happy knowing that I could be asleep but now I know I'm going to have to live every moment of what he'll be doing in my mouth. He says I need to have 2 possibly 3 extractions and 6 fillings! The mere thought of being awake while he does that brings me to tears and I keep breaking out in sweats. The thing that annoys me the most is I'm not entirely sure WHAT I'm scared of, it could be the possibility of pain, but I don't feel thats the main reason.
Do you have any tips for keeping calm on D-day. My first appointment is the 20th July and thats for a scale and polish.
Does a scale and polish hurt?

Thanks for letting me rant, even if no one replies, I feel much better already =D

I always have mixed feelings when I read things like this. In one way, its a 'good thing' to have a plan to gradually train or desensitise someone with a phobia to tolerate dental treatment. That, to me, is a long term gently-gently thing which takes a long time and a lot of emotional effort on the part of the phobic. But the flipside is you need dental treatment and have a means of getting it which you are comfortable with. If you feel you need GA, there is a means of getting GA, then you should have GA - if the end result is you get yourself treated with the minimum of distress and anxiety.

That said, gas and air is supposed to be a great thing (not having had it myself). I am an extraction-phobe and there is NO WAY I will let anyone pull anything without some serious drugs in me first (In my case IV sedation). I am happy with it, I am happy to pay for it, it gets my treatment done the way I want it done and I'm not in any position to think about 'weening' myself off it. I would like to try gas in air for myself the next time I have one out, but it would be under the strict condition that if I still cannot tolerate the extraction, I want to call a halt and wait for the needle in the back of the hand.

I would also add that phobias are not always rational or logical. I am extraction-phobic, but I do not have a rational reason why I should not be able to tolerate it, although I was the subject of some brutal gas sessions when I was a child. So I guess it stems from that. There is no reason for it now, but I still am.

As for a scale and polish, does it hurt? No. Uncomfortable? Yes, a bit. I had one a few days ago and I wouldn't say its pleasent, but its not really painful and once you have had it and know what to expect, its not really all that bad. I guess it does depend on how much scaling is required. I do know your teeth feel 'really' clean afterwards.

^ I wrote a post about how I kept calm and prepared myself for appointments, I have had two extractions the last couple of months and they have gone very well.

But I would also say if you would really rather have it done asleep and its possible for you to have it, then that is what you should have.

Hopefully, everything goes well for you :)

Hi mistylouise :welcome:,

I was a bit puzzled when I read your post as to where the "meanie" bit came from :dunno: - as you said, he's a really nice guy and wants to help you overcome your fears. I bet you a lot of people who read your post went green with envy ;D!

You'd probably agree that it would not be very desirable to have to have general anaesthetic each time you want to have dental treatment, so his approach seems very sensible!

Also you need to understand that while general anaesthetic can be useful in very select circumstances, it's not a great method for things like fillings or other restorations (as opposed to extractions), for a number of reasons (for example, access being compromised due to the breathing tube, and you not being able to cooperate).

So in reality, your dentist is doing you a huge favour :nod:.

I think one of the main things to realise is that you are in charge, and that dental treatment is not something done TO you, but something that you want yourself to maintain your health. It's a choice you make, rather than something that is done to you against your will (as an adult at least :) - it can be a different matter when you are under age and have no say in the matter!!).

It sounds as if you got really lucky with your dentist and that together, you'll be able to tackle your fears :thumbsup:.

Good luck :clover:!!

Last edited:
Back