• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of all dentists.

R

Rowan123

Hi I am new here, I am scared of dentists because the last one I saw told me to stop crying over a little toothache, he did not wear gloves or a mask and had dog fur on his jumper, I need to have 2 teeth out one molar which is down to the nerve I lost a filling and did not have it repaired and the same with an upper tooth I am in agony and not digesting food properly because the teeth one on one side one on the other, the dentist before would say "OK now nearly done, its OK, you can go home and rest soon, there we go I'll just put this in the socket, just rest, any plans for tomorrow?" and would talk to me for a few minutes, the last one was like pulling at my wisdom tooth while I was screaming in pain telling me to shut up, I'm not joking, so now I'm really scared I managed almost a check up last year but the nurse knocked the table and it made me jump and get upset and I am disabled in a wheelchair and I pulled my leg out, please help some please, I want to get better but I'm scared.

Oh Rowan, that last guy doesn't sound like he should be allowed to be in business. I don't know where you are in the UK, but have you looked on here for recommendations in your area? Word of mouth always seems to be a good way to find someone you can rebuild confidence with. Wishing you all the best.

You need to report ther dentist! He shouldn't have a license! Find another dentist!

The majority of dentists are not like the second one you saw. I have found that they are really trying to help us phobics to get the treatment we need.

If you try e mailing a few dentists and explain like you have on here what happened to you, and ask if they could help you to get the treatment you want and need. Look at the answers you receive back and the ones you like the look of, get in touch with them and have a word and maybe make that first appointment. Or you could contact them by phone.

I wish you LUCK :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: in finding a nice new dentist, and you will if you look. If you don't feel comfortable with the dentist on the first visit, don't go back, try the next one on your list. :bear::bear::bear:

Hi Rowan

You really need to get another opinion. The thing is, the fear you have, along with your disability, make all this like climbing a mountain for you, and let's face it, if you were climbing a mountain, you would have a whole lot more support being sent your way.

I work for the NHS, and although I am not totally sure how you would go about it, but I am sure it is the PCT's operate a service for people with disabilities of one sort or another, and are used to dealing with people who have specific difficulties. Contact either NHS direct, who could guide you, or your GP.

You not only need to get the help you need, you deserve it so much.

Try not to give up hope, there are some fantastic health professionals out there, and you will find yours. If you knew how my story started off, you would fully appreciate where I am coming from.

Keep us updated, for us, but also for yourself, you will find a wealth of help and information on here, along with a few guys who will support you as you go along.

In the meantime, big hugs coming your way :XXLhug:

Hi Rowan
The service that Kimbo is talking about is called the Community Dental Service and you can be referred by your GP or any other professional that you see. Like Kimbo said it is for people with disabilities (visible or otherwise). For example my son sees them - he has Asperger's syndrome.
The dentists there will be like night and day to the dentist you have seen recently.
Good luck Rowan and stick around - tell us how it all goes :)

Back