• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front tooth root canal question

R

rosepetal77

I went in to see the dentist a week ago because I was having minor sensitivity in one of my front teeth. He examined the tooth and couldn't find any visible signs of decay, but an x-ray revealed that it was abscessed and would need a root canal. How long does it take to do a root canal on a front tooth and what should I expect? He also said I will need a crown, but I've been doing some research and found that front teeth don't always have to be crowned? Is that true and if it does have to be crowned, will it look natural and match my other teeth?

Terrified of upcoming root canal on front tooth

Has anyone here had a root canal on a front tooth? I went to the dentist recently because my tooth was a little sensitive, and he couldn't find any visible signs of decay. However, an x-ray revealed that it was abscessed and would require a root canal. So far I have no pain, no swelling, etc. but I'm terrified of the root canal procedure. He also told me that I will need a crown but I've read that front teeth don't always require a crown, so I'm confused. I'm very scared that a crown won't look natural and will stand out from my other teeth :(. If anyone could give me some words of advice or encouragement I would really appreciate it.

Re: Terrified of upcoming root canal on front tooth

I have not had a rct on a front tooth, so I cannot help you with that. I have had one on a back tooth I would think the procedure would be the same, they will make sure you are totally numb before they start, if you feel the slightest thing they can top you up. A rubber dam will be put on, this is a rubber sheet on a frame, a hole is punched in the rubber sheet before it is put on your tooth, it is then placed over the tooth to be worked on and sealed to protect the tooth from bacteria and keep it dry, he will then drill the tooth to allow him to gain access to the root, this is done in seconds. The root is then cleaned out with hand files and a dressing may be put in, and a temp filling. A second visit is much the same but the tooth is finished.

My sister has 6 front crowns and they all look natural and are used as uncrowned teeth would be, and she is fine.

In my case I am waiting 6 months then a crown will be put on, but with yours being a front tooth your dentist will decide when this will be done.

This is done without any pain whatsoever, it is very quiet and an x ray is usually taken to make sure they have all the root out and all is well.

I hope somebody that has had a front tooth done will be along soon and answer you.

I have answered you so you don't think nobody is reading this, they are, but sometimes it takes a while to get an answer.

I wish you luck with your treatment, could you have a word with your dentist before you go, so that your mind can be put at rest over this. :grouphug: I hope this helps a little bit.

Hi rosepetal :welcome:,

I will merge your threads as they are nearly identical - I hope you don't mind!

Root canal treatment on front teeth is easier than on back teeth, because front teeth generally only have one root (as opposed to 3 or more for molars), the canal tends to be quite straight and wide, and it's easy for the dentist to access, being at the front.

Also, depending on how much tooth structure is left and seeing how it's a front tooth, you may not need a crown. Crowns are usually recommended for molars which have had root canal treatment, because it can leave the tooth a bit brittle, and the crown is needed so that the tooth can withstand the biting forces. But with a front tooth, oftentimes no crown will be needed (especially if nearly all the tooth structure is still left).

Wishing you best of luck and let us know how you get on :grouphug:

Hiyer

I've had a root canal on a front upper incisor, and funnily enough I am having it re-done in the coming months too as am having a post crown made. I had an abcess at the base of the root (no decay though, the tooth was damaged in an accident). It was quite a quick procedure as root canal treatments go - by virtue of the fact that there is one root to clean out and fill. I actually have a crown on mine as the tooth was broken, so can't comment on fillings as opposed to crowns. However, I have had crowns on both my front teeth for 33 years (they've been replaced a few times) and they look like my natural teeth. They are porcelain bonded and a very good colour, so nobody has ever thought they are not my real teeth and are generally surprised when I say they are not. I think you should talk to your dentist about if you need a crown or can just make do with a filling as I too have heard that sometimes only a filling is used. I guess it depends on if there is any decay and how intact the tooth remains after the rct is done.

Has anyone here had a root canal on a front tooth? I went to the dentist recently because my tooth was a little sensitive, and he couldn't find any visible signs of decay. However, an x-ray revealed that it was abscessed and would require a root canal. So far I have no pain, no swelling, etc. but I'm terrified of the root canal procedure. He also told me that I will need a crown but I've read that front teeth don't always require a crown, so I'm confused. I'm very scared that a crown won't look natural and will stand out from my other teeth :(. If anyone could give me some words of advice or encouragement I would really appreciate it.

Well, I'm only a teen but I'll have to get one soon. So I suppose that all you can do is to hope.:)

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

Are you worried about the treatment you are going to be having?

I would like to wish you good luck :clover::clover::clover: and all the best :butterfly:

Back