Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black on gumline

Default Black on gumline

Hi there

Can you tell me if there is black around the gumline of some teeth if these teeth are saveable? even with a lot of work, and if so..what is involved?

Thanks

Rox xx

Default Re: Black on gumline

How much "black"? Do you mean a thin line or something else? Like I said in the the other thread, they're perfectly saveable most of the time.
      --
      Despite appearances to the contrary, Gordon has been a qualified dentist for over thirty years.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for replying Sorry, I didn't see this on another thread.

Yeah... like thin black lines on a couple and black dots on others... (black dots might be just wear and tear after a long absense even?)

What would saving them involve? Deep cleaning / hygienist work or dentist work? (please excuse my foolish questions...lol)

With thanks

Rox

Sounds like simple staining, so either a dentist or hygienist could deal with it. It's kind of hard to tell from your description, but the only other thing it might be would be some tartar (also known as calculus) then that might need a slightly deeper cleaning.
      --
      Despite appearances to the contrary, Gordon has been a qualified dentist for over thirty years.

Brilliant, phew!!!... Think its a mixture of both *. I *was expecting you to say "BLACK... they're all coming out!!! *" So, knowing if the teeth and gums are otherwise ok they can be saved is very reassuring

Thanks again *
      Rox

I also have some black around my gumline on about 4 teeth. It has pushed my gumline down a little and it feel crusty and hard do you think this is also calculus?

Most definitely sounds like it. There are 2 varieties of calculus, subgingival and supragingival. The former is a sort of dark grey/black colour, the latter is more of a creamy colour. The former is also more damaging to the tissues and should be removed ASAP.
      --

I had that and I was like, "oh no I cannot deal with more cavities"
      so I went to a mirror and took something hard and sharp and scraped hard on it, like they do at the dentist, and it came off, because it was plaque, it looked like a cavity/cavities, but it wasnt! woohoo! maybe you have the same thing i did?

Sorry, couple of scary pictures and follow up posts removed for reasons of good taste
      --

thanks for that gordon
      Ive won the nhs lottery