• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removal of mandibular tori and all teeth

M

Moms4Kat

In two weeks I will have all remaining teeth (21) removed along with 2 mandibular tori. Both my dentist and oral surgeon say I will have to heal for 6 weeks before getting fitted for dentures. How much pain and discomfort should I expect to experience for the first few weeks? I could not get implants because of the bone loss from multiple teeth removed during the past 10 or so years. I am really nervous and scared :scared: about the surgery (out-patient under GA) and having both teeth and tori removed at the same time. :cry: Thanks for any info or helpful tips you may provide!

Hi and :welcome:

I had my remaining eleven front teeth removed last Friday, and so one week on. I had iv sedation and apart from the pinch of the needle going in, didn't feel a thing, so if you are having a ga, then you really won't feel anything either.

I still have all but one of my stitches in my mouth, and yes, I am sore, but not 'cannot handle' sore. I didn't have mandibular tori so can't comment on that, sorry. I was given very strong painkillers for the first few days, and then used Ibrprofen. There have been a couple of days when I haven't needed anything, and a few where I have. Today being one of them, as my bottom gums seem very tender and quite red.

I have been using warm salt water to rinse with, which is hopefully helping. I am going to wait for as long as I can for my mouth to heal before getting complete dentures, and I certainly take my hat off to those people who go for immediate dentures, as my mouth is sore enough without having to contemplate that one. And that is my decision, because I have read that it is best to let your gums heal and shrink before getting dentures, and am of the understanding that most of this is done within the first four weeks or so.

I really hope you get on ok, and keep us up to date with your progress. The waiting and worrying is one of the hardest things to get through, but there is a wealth of help and information on here that I am sure will be winging it's way to you very soon.

I wish you well.

Kim

@Moms4Kat I realize this is years ago for you. I am about to have my tori and all my teeth removed the same day. And then dentures also the same day. How did deal with that much removal at once?

Back