• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting my first cavity filled in a week and I'm terrified

E

e.dixon127

Okay, well it's not technically my first cavity, but I was very young when I had my other filling done and I don't remember what it was like... I managed to convince my dentist to let my boyfriend come in the room with me, but he can't hold my hand. I'm planning to take my iPod in so I can drown out the noise, but I'm still freaking out.

The cavity is between two of my front upper teeth, so I'm not sure how it'll be filled or if it will be visible. Mostly I'm afraid of the shot... I've heard that upper front teeth shots hurt pretty badly. I got my other cavity filled without Novocaine, so I don't know how the shot will feel. Would it be extremely painful, or just a very bad idea to have this cavity filled without it? Considering it's in the front, and my other was in a back tooth.

I'm just generally in a tizzy right now... since I found out I have a cavity, I haven't gone a night without an anxiety attack :scared:

To summarize, do shots for the front upper teeth hurt worse? How bad do dental injections hurt anyways?? Is it worse to go sans Novocaine? I'm really scared :cry:

As long as your dentist takes his time injecting the LA it shouldn't hurt wherever the injection is done, some areas just take more skill on the part of the dentist. You can also be doubly sure by asking for numbing gel first. I've never had work done on the front of my teeth but my sister broke a front tooth and had to get it root canalled and crowned. She said it didn't hurt at all for the procedure and the injections didn't feel any different to the LA used further back (when she had teeth out for braces). Maybe a little pinch, maybe no pain at all! But nothing to be worried about. I've always thought dental injections hurt way less than vaccinations!

Honestly if you can get through it without novocaine you can certainly get through it with, if anything this will be easier.

Ive had 2 teeth filled and an extraction. Never the front teeth but close once. The shot s sting for a couple seconds but that's it. I am going to also get some behind my back 2 front teeth. Never knew they were there? I understand it's the technique of how they give th shots that makes the difference. You will get numbing gel before the shots too so you don't feel as much. YOU GOT A FILLING WITHOUT AN INJECTION? WOW! You should be fine then. They will fill the cavity with white filling so it will look nice. :)

Okay, well it's not technically my first cavity, but I was very young when I had my other filling done and I don't remember what it was like... I managed to convince my dentist to let my boyfriend come in the room with me, but he can't hold my hand. I'm planning to take my iPod in so I can drown out the noise, but I'm still freaking out.

The cavity is between two of my front upper teeth, so I'm not sure how it'll be filled or if it will be visible. Mostly I'm afraid of the shot... I've heard that upper front teeth shots hurt pretty badly. I got my other cavity filled without Novocaine, so I don't know how the shot will feel. Would it be extremely painful, or just a very bad idea to have this cavity filled without it? Considering it's in the front, and my other was in a back tooth.

I'm just generally in a tizzy right now... since I found out I have a cavity, I haven't gone a night without an anxiety attack :scared:

To summarize, do shots for the front upper teeth hurt worse? How bad do dental injections hurt anyways?? Is it worse to go sans Novocaine? I'm really scared :cry:

To specify, I'm most scared of the shot. I've never had a good experience with a shot ever, no matter what kind, so I get very skittish about needles.

I would tell your dentist about how scared you are. My problem is that although I don't really have a phobia of needles I tend to faint. My dentist knows to take extra care and although I can't stand the chair laid back for treatment when he injects me the chair is right back. Dentists must see hundreds of people with these fears so I'm sure he'll understand.

Hi E.Dixon,

Your thread topic is one of the main reasons I've stuck around these forums. I came here 3 years ago terrified about the dental shot. Like you, I also had had at least one minor filling taken care of without LA along with a few sealings. Needles have always been a huge fear factor for me. I had never heard of the topical numbing gel prior to coming here. If applied liberally and allowed to sit, you should almost instantly feel your gum becoming "heavier" You also might be aware of a little extra saliva in your mouth as well. Ask the dentist to check that you are indeed numb before proceeding with the injection. Make sure he/she takes his time and hopefully is calm/gentle. I may not be the "best" judge because I think the world of my dentist. I am so lucky. However, while I trust him implicitly, I'm not sure I'll ever feel completely at ease if he has a needle in his hand. I've come along way and can assure you that when done properly a dental injection should not be painful. O/T but related, there are topical creams as well as sprays (I use one for my TMJ issues) to prevent medical shots from hurting. I am an all-around needle-phobe so wanted you to know that. PM me if you'd care for more info. Meantime, hug, and best of luck to you.

Last edited:
hi
i know excatly how you are feeling! this time last week i was panacing too. i had to get my first eva filings on friday and i was terified like you i had anxiety attaks leading up to appointment to. but i just turned up to the appt, closed my eyes and let him get on. like you i was scared of the needles so i told him to tel me to close my eyes wen he was going to do it and he did it and i did not feel a thing and my dentist didnt even use nubing gel he just did it slowly i think, i dnt rly knnx coz i didnt feel it lol, the only place that hurt 4 me was wen he done the other side of my mouth and that was only a little pinch. i havent had one at the front so i dnt know bt i imagine if you asked 4 numbing gel and he does it slowly you wil be fine.
i promise you you will be fine afterwards like me you wil think what the hell you were worrying about x x
good luck x

I have cavities behind my front teeth so I was wondering about this too. Please update afterwards and let us know what it was like. Good luck and try to stay calm. I know how you feel!

Tomorrow's the day.... if anyone has helpful tips for getting to sleep while anxious, I would appreciate it. I had a full blown panic attack and cried myself to sleep last night... it took 2 hours to calm down, and I can imagine that tonight will only be worse. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm absolutely petrified. I don't have any anti-anxiety medicine to take, or sleeping pills, or anything :scared:

I don't want to go tomorrow, someone's going to have to drag me in there kicking and screaming!! :hidesbehindsofa:

Hello E.Dixon, yes tomorrow is the day you go to the dentist have some work done and come out feeling like you accomplished something rather than cancelled the appt and felt lousy all day knowing that you will now have to make another appt. I really do understand how you feel but myself and many others regret not getting work done when it needed to be done and have to face either extractions or a lot of work. Maybe you wont sleep that well tonight but you will tomorrow night if you go to your appt. Focus on getting a healthy mouth and tomorrow is a step closer to that goal. Sending loads of best wishes and hugs, you can do this, you are in charge here. :there-there:

Good luck tomorrow! :clover:

I survived! It was easy, easy, easy! I did panic a bit in the chair, but my dentist was very gentle and said he'll sit there and have a chat with me until I'm ready. I even did it without novocaine again, and only felt a little twinge of pain (like biting into something really cold), but I never had to use my stop signal.

Yay, well done to you :cheer::cheer::cheer:Now wasn't it worth it in the end. Hopefully you will sleep well tonight.

congratulaions...glad it went well!

Back