• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I don't know what is wrong with my teeth. Help, please.

N

ndt84

My front bottom teeth have been bothering me. The only thing I can *see* that looks off to me is the tops of them feel sharper and the top strip looks clearer than the rest of the tooth. The only things I can think of.. I am nursing my daughter still, she is 19 months old, and haven't taken vitamins in quite some time. Lacking Calcium? I have also noticed that I am biting down. I'm not sure if I do this as I am falling asleep or throughout the night. My back teeth don't usually hurt. They will bother me occasionally, and I know I was told that I had cavities a few years ago and never got filled (was nervous when I was pregnant & hate going to the dentist) and they have since spread. I have been faithfully brushing my teeth and bought a water flosser. I am 28 years old, my teeth LOOK fine other than the slight discoloration.. I am just scared that there is something seriously wrong and I will end up losing all of my teeth.

Anyways, can anyone tell me what this might be? I tried google searching it but wasn't quite sure how to word it.

Thank you very much.

Hi and welcome,:welcome:

My front bottom teeth have been bothering me.

In what way are they bothering you? Are they sore? You sound generally quite anxious about the whole thing...:XXLhug:
I doubt the nursing and not taking vitamins is directly affecting your teeth, as long as your general diet is okay. Maybe you are feeling a little bit run down though?
I'm not a dentist but thought I would jump in and say welcome :)

I'm not a dentist so I don't really know but how long is it since you had a hygenist clean them? When I had lots of tartar on my front teeth they looked discoloured and felt rough/sharp. Got a clean and now they are great

They generally just hurt. It feels like it's coming from the tops of those teeth and in between. I haven't had a cleaning in a couple years.

Is it your teeth or could it be your gums, sometimes when we are run down gums can hurt and this can cause teeth to feel like they are hurting. Unfortunately only a dentist will be able to tell you.

If you find yourself biting down this will make teeth hurt, I do this myself and more so when I am worried about something and when I am tense this happens more. I also find some tooth paste's can make my teeth feel on edge, I use sensodyne and when I try to change my teeth feel terrible.

I know it is hard but if you could look around and see what dentists are in your area and you can e mail, write a letter or phone around a few, explain how nervous you are and ask if they could help you overcome your nerves enough to be able to see the dentist. See what comes back from them and pick one that you think will be able to help you.

We can offer you all the support and encouragement on here but unfortunately we cannot tell you what is wrong or cure you.

I wish we could, I hope you feel you can start to have a look, you will be surprised how much things have changed in the years you haven't been. If you find you don't feel comfortable with the dentist try another, as so on until you are comfortable enough to get any work you may need done.
A first appointment usually is only to get to meet the dentist and for them to have a look at your teeth, if you don't like the probe (the pointy thing) you can tell them and ask that they only use a mirror.
Nothing you don't want to happen will happen, it is up to you, it does help if they can at least have a look, even if it is just with a mirror, and sometimes they like to take an x ray, but if you feel this would be too much they don't have to. It can be done later.

I hope you find a dentist and get some relief soon, also if you can get a dentist that you feel confident with it will mean your daughter will never suffer the stress you do about going, and that is a good thing, as we can pass on our fears to out children. It would be lovely if you could get the help you need and introduce your daughter in time to a nice caring dentist as well.

I wish you all the best good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

They generally just hurt. It feels like it's coming from the tops of those teeth and in between. I haven't had a cleaning in a couple years.
Often the pain from a single tooth can be "transmitted" to neighboring teeth or even other parts of your mouth. For a while my lower front teeth would throb off and on, and if felt like the whole arch was crowded with too many teeth or maybe they were slowly moving like continental plates. Sometimes it felt like my whole jaw ached. I was really worried!

It turned out to be a really deep cavity in one of the teeth, which was weird because it didn't feel like just one tooth was hurting, and not in a usual way like sensitivity to sugar or temperature. It really felt like something was wrong with all the teeth. After I had the problem tooth fixed up, everything feels great, and the dentist said the rest of the teeth that were hurting look fine. (Like you, my lower front teeth are sharp at the top and slightly translucent, but this doesn't seem to concern the dentist).

Bottom line, try to get a compassionate dentist to have a look at your teeth (and maybe take an X-ray if you can handle that)-- sooner rather than later. I'm continually amazed that what I thought was unsalvageable or a sign of needing to have all my teeth out, turns out to be fairly simple and painless to treat. I've spent so much of my life avoiding the dentist because of some condition that I thought was horrible, only to find out that the treatment for the condition is so simple and common. Have you teeth looked at and you may be surprised to find that your imagination is much bigger than reality.

Good luck!

Back