• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My teeth are separating, help!

J

jgv836

My bottom front teeth started to separate. They used to touch at the top and had a bit of a gap in the bottom. Now the gap has extended to the top and there is a clear gap between each of my 4 bottom front teeth. This has been happening over the last 2 months.

I have not been to a dentist in about 2 years, I have no pain and my teeth are not loose. I made an appointment with the dentist and its in two weeks but in the meantime I am freaking out.

What could be causing this and what can be done about it? Not only does it look ugly, but food gets stuck in between my teeth when I eat. I am 35 years old and never had braces before.

I'm not a dentist so please remember this answer only comes from personal experience and what I have read on this site, hopefull a dentist will be along soon to give you more information. I know teeth can shift as you get older whether you had braces or not, so its probabaly nothing to worry about. But it can be fixed by braces if its really bothering you. I'm an adult and getting braces on tomorow and there are a lot more discreet kinds than the metal ones we remember as kids! There are clear/ceramic fixed braces or invisalign if you choose to go that route. I think you could probably get bonding done to hide the gap with will be a lot cheaper and quicker too. Well done for making the appointment, dentistry really has changed and with the right dentist is nothing to worry about.

Sounds like your gums are receding a bit, it's hard to tell from your description. Try not to freak out about it, there's no rush about treating it and your teeth aren't all going to fall out tomorrow!

Sounds like your gums are receding a bit, it's hard to tell from your description. Try not to freak out about it, there's no rush about treating it and your teeth aren't all going to fall out tomorrow!

Hello, I have exactly the same symptoms, my teeth are getting separated:(
Please let me know what dentist said and did about it, as my dental appointment is after 3 days, thank you

Hi. Teeth can begin to seperate for a number of reasons. These reasons include gum disease, severe night time grinding, habits such as chewing finger nails or simple relapse after braces. In addition teeth all have a tendency to drift and move around, especially if they don't have stable bite contacts.
Chances are its nothing serious. Go see your dentist, it should be reasonably straight forward to check it out and put your mind at rest.

Last edited:
I'm not a dentist so please remember this answer only comes from personal experience and what I have read on this site, hopefull a dentist will be along soon to give you more information. I know teeth can shift as you get older whether you had braces or not, so its probabaly nothing to worry about. But it can be fixed by braces if its really bothering you. I'm an adult and getting braces on tomorow and there are a lot more discreet kinds than the metal ones we remember as kids! There are clear/ceramic fixed braces or invisalign if you choose to go that route. I think you could probably get bonding done to hide the gap with will be a lot cheaper and quicker too. Well done for making the appointment, dentistry really has changed and with the right dentist is nothing to worry about.
Hello, How is your teeth now ? I am so scared as mine started to get separated because of inflamed gums, please let me know what dentist said about it and how did you cure, thank you !!!

Hi. Teeth can begin to seperate for a number of reasons. These reasons include gum disease, severe night time grinding, habits such as chewing finger nails or simple relapse after braces. In addition teeth all have a tendency to drift and move around, especially if they don't have stable bite contacts.
Chances are its nothing serious. Go see your dentist, it should be reasonably straight forward to check it out and put your mind at rest.

Thank you for the reply, but I noticed today that my teeth started getting even more separated, even though it has not moved, they are stable, do you think it is very serious, I am literally freaking out !!!!!!!!!!!! What shall I do ????????????

Thank you for the reply, but I noticed today that my teeth started getting even more separated, even though it has not moved, they are stable, do you think it is very serious, I am literally freaking out !!!!!!!!!!!! What shall I do ????????????

I would've though that if the teeth aren't moving then things aren't so bad? My mum has gum disease (my Nanna had it too) and her teeth have 'separated' but they also move around (she flat refuses to see a dentist, has numerous abscesses and she terrifies me!).
Some of my teeth appear to have moved, I can tell on one especially because its had a little thin brown line of decay on it for years, but in the last 6 months this line has moved up about 2-3mm, to a point that its clearly visible anyway.. My teeth don't move around either and I think my gums have receded a little. The dentist has pointed out that one one tooth around there had inflammation/redness and that I'd possibly caused it through too vigorous brushing? Anyway, try not to worry till your dentist has set you straight, as I'm sure it's nothing.. The more you worry the more you'll notice every last little thing going :)

I would've though that if the teeth aren't moving then things aren't so bad? My mum has gum disease (my Nanna had it too) and her teeth have 'separated' but they also move around (she flat refuses to see a dentist, has numerous abscesses and she terrifies me!).
Some of my teeth appear to have moved, I can tell on one especially because its had a little thin brown line of decay on it for years, but in the last 6 months this line has moved up about 2-3mm, to a point that its clearly visible anyway.. My teeth don't move around either and I think my gums have receded a little. The dentist has pointed out that one one tooth around there had inflammation/redness and that I'd possibly caused it through too vigorous brushing? Anyway, try not to worry till your dentist has set you straight, as I'm sure it's nothing.. The more you worry the more you'll notice every last little thing going :)

How long did it take for your mum's teeth to move around ? was it after having teeth separation like mine ? OMG I am so scared that my teeth might start moving around sometime later, please ask your mum thank you so much !!!

How long did it take for your mum's teeth to move around ? was it after having teeth separation like mine ? OMG I am so scared that my teeth might start moving around sometime later, please ask your mum thank you so much !!!

It took quite a long time I think, years.. She drinks a little (not an alcoholic lol), she also smokes and hasn't been to a dentist in around 30 years I think, it could even be longer than that. My Nanna had the same thing but we're going back such a long time now, medication and illness caused some of her problems and I don't think she was eating enough (or of the right things).. She smoked too and dentistry wasn't what it is now when she was younger, so numerous factors.

Don't be afraid with what I said, I'm sorry if it scared you, it was supposed to have the opposite affect! I'm no dentist, but I assume that with appointments, cleaning/scale and polish etc can all help.. Ie, in my Mums case it wouldve been picked up and dealt with. Like I said, my gums appear to have receded a little, I guess it could be that my teeth have just shifted over time, maybe the teeth have moved because Im missing a couple so theyve not had eachother for support and have moved around a little? There's been no mention of gum problems (but for around the one tooth a dentist mentioned), so I suspect there's not much to worry about yet.. And I've seen enough dentists over the last few years so I'm sure one of them would've picked up on anything! Things like corsodyl toothpaste and mouthwash would help maybe, flossing etc?
I'm pretty sure you've nothing to worry about. I noticed a black mark on one of my back teeth and I was sure it was getting bigger day by day! However that's pretty unlikely, and was more down the the fact I was focused on it , checking it with a mirror, using different lights on it.. You just end up fixated on it and you then fear the worst possible outcome!

Back