• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction site won't heal

B

B

I had a 2nd molar out almost three weeks ago which was badly infected. I also had the wisdom tooth next to it taken out. The dentist seemed bothered about the molar at the time as he kept going back to look at it before I left but he didn't say anything. It came out with an abscess attached to it apparently. It is still completely open almost three weeks later and doesn't seem any more healed than the day it came out. It's slightly tender sometimes but not really painful. The wisdom tooth site has healed.
I went for a check-up today and mentioned it and he asked how it felt on my tongue, it just feels like a big hole! He said there were tricks he could do if it didn't heal up soon but that it really should have closed by now. Does anyone know what these 'tricks' are. I didn't ask at the time..I have no idea why not.

No tricks, just basic surgery.
1) Local anaesthetic
2) Clean out the socket with some hand instruments to get rid of any infected bone still present
3) Lift a little flap of skin to give something to work with
4) Stitch the socket closed.

Thanks Gordon. That sounds horrid though. Do you think there is a chance it might still heal on its own?

Mine took a few weeks until it started to heal up, and then it seemed like it healed over night (but I didn't have an abscess). Good luck!

I had two teeth removed a few years ago that had to be stitched and it wasn't too bad, I barely noticed the stitches were there after a day or so :)

Back