Thread: Nasopalatine Injection

Default Nasopalatine Injection

I have an appt. to get some fillings in my front teeth in a couple days.

I am panicking b/c my dentist warned me that I was going to "feel" the injection more in the front of the mouth, even with a topical. I have already had some fillings done in my upper molars, and those injections were not as terrible as I expected, but now I am anticipating a terrible one, or worse, numerous terrible ones.

I have been trying to do some research, to figure out what types of injections are given in the front of the mouth, for what procedures, how painful they are, etc.

I have heard that a nasopalatine injection is the most painful and traumatic one, so now I am terrified that i am going to need one.

When is this type of injection used? What is numbed from it? And what types of procedures is it used for?

Default Re: Nasopalatine Injection

It is technique sensitive. Ask you dentist to just put in a few drops there first then wait a minute then put in more.
      Dr. Raymond Kimsey, DMD
      www.comfortableimplantdentistry.com

Is this type of injection necessary for fillings though? Or is it used mainly for periodontal procedures?

One of the sources I read online said that it numbs the palate, but not the teeth. For fillings, it is the pulp of the teeth that needs to be numb, right?

Pulp needs to be numb.
      It is another technique. Basically most dentists have a couple or more techniques for whatever they do.
      Dr. Raymond Kimsey, DMD
      www.comfortableimplantdentistry.com

I have to get fillings on the backs of my two top front teeth next week. My dentist warned me I would feel the shots--even though he has always given me painless ones. He said it isn't excruciating pain or anything. He said it is tolerable, but it will hurt. I think I can stand it for a few seconds, though.
      Patti

The nasopalatine injections tends to be almost exclusively given with the wand.
      I would concur with comfortdentist's advise about putting a few drops in then waiting a minute or so before giving the rest sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.

Lincoln
      Lincoln Hirst, BDS
      www.beehivedental.co.uk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drhirst For This Useful Post:

carole (23rd July 2012)