• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tomorrow is THE day - YIKES!

O

onob7323

Hi. I'm new here. I did post a reply to a thread last week, but this is my first post here. I am happy that I found this site - it has been helpful to read that have gone through, or are currently going through similar situations. I had not been to a dentist in a VERY long time - fear of dentists mixed with fear of the cost kept me from it. Admittedly, it was mostly fear of the dentist. Bad experiences as a child. Anyway, I was forced into seeing a dentist because one of my teeth, very near to the front, broke off while eating a few weeks ago. I have had many teeth break off over the years, but they were easy to deal with since they didn't show. NOW I had to do something. My teeth have embarrassed me for quite a while. The top ones actually looked quite nice, so I could get by. I have been plagued by receding gums on the lowers since I was a child, so they have shifted and as I lost the support of other teeth, there are now big gaps. I wore braces for four years as a child and had quite a nice smile when that was done and I feel terrible that I let things get that bad. Anyway, I saw a very nice dentist 10 days ago who told me I can keep most of the top ones, just two toward the back have to be removed. He was not too optimistic about the lowers, but said he would know more after the x-rays. I knew that I would probably lose two for sure, but didn't anticipate ALL. All of my back teeth had broken off, so I only had six left on the bottom. He said 4 of those have to come out. Anyway, once I had the "plan", I felt a little better. At least NOW I know what needs to be done instead of worrying about it. He took impressions for partial upper and lower dentures and scheduled me to have the extractions tomorrow. I felt pretty good when I made these "plans", but now as the day approaches, all I want to do is cancel. I know that's not possible because I only have a temporary tooth that was bonded in to fit the gaping hole that was left by the tooth that broke off. I HAVE to get this done - I WANT to get this done because I want a nice healthy smile again, but I am really scared. Even though I haven't had a tooth extracted since I was a child (Had 4 permanent teeth removed when I was 12 to make room in my mouth ), but I can still "hear" what that sounded like and can still "feel" what it felt like. That's all I can think about now - the dentist I chose uses nitrous oxide and says I'll be fine - easy for him to say, he's the one doing the pulling! I keep telling myself that I will be so much happier when this is done and I keep trying to focus on that. I will have immediate partials after the extractions, so I will have an immediate new smile - THAT worries me too. I worry about what the "immediate" set of teeth will look like. Judging by the beautiful tooth that was bonded in for me on the first visit, I should relax, but it still worries me. I guess I won't be doing much sleeping tonight. My appointment is 8 a.m. tomorrow.:o I just keep telling that in ____ hours the worst of this will be over and I will be on my way to a new improved look. I know there will an adjustment period which is also a concern. I have to work, so I have to get used to the partials very quickly - don't know if that is possible!! I teach piano so I have to be able to talk pretty well in a short amount of time - I can't take off for weeks - a few days at the most!!

Okay - sorry this is so long - just needed to kind of get it out there. I really do appreciate this forum very much. It is very cathartic for me to say this stuff to others who actually can relate to how I'm feeling. My husband is a great guy, but he doesn't understand why I am so fearful - he has no dental phobia at all!

Thank you very much!

Thanks so much for sharing your story, onob7323. It takes a lot of courage to put your fears into words and even more to share them. You also should be SUPER proud of yourself for getting yourself to the dentist and starting the process that will lead to a healthy smile. It sounds like you're largely doing it on your own, which also takes a lot of courage and will. Give yourself a big huge pat on the back for what you're doing NOW, and start letting go of what got you here. Also, hopefully your husband can help shoulder some of the burden, even if he doesn't understand the phobia part. My wife has been a huge help just in being compassionate and being my "cheerleader" when I need a little encouragement.

Extractions should be a pretty gentle and completely painless process. They don't actually "pull" on the teeth at all. It's more of a firm nudging of the tooth, rocking it back and forth slowly until it releases on its own. When I had a molar extracted recently, there was no cracking or horrible sounds, and no pain at all. Just a couple of minutes of pushing, and then the dentist said, "And that's it!" I never felt the tooth come out, and actually didn't believe her that it was. My dentist also knew I was freaking out so she went very slow and gave me lots of encouraging words and distracting thoughts while she worked. I wouldn't have thought that would help, but it did, a lot. Bring an mp3 player and some calm music, too!

You'd be surprised at how nice a "temporary" set of teeth your dentist can make in the office. I had my whole top front arch prepared for crowns (from 6 through 11), and so they had to make me temporaries to wear until the permanent crowns came. The temps looked WAY nicer than my natural teeth had and didn't look goofy at all. I actually went around showing everyone my "new teeth", I was so proud of how they looked. It will probably feel a little weird having teeth where you didn't use to, but your dentist will fit them carefully so the bite is correct, and you should be fine.

I hope you keep your appointment and go through with the work. It should be painless, and I can tell you from personal experience that you'll probably feel a) exhausted from all the worrying and sitting rigid in the chair, muscles clenched, but then b) really proud and relieved to be past the "worst" of it and on your way to a new smile. The anticipation just sucks, but better to plunge in and get it behind you now, and get that big reward of relief and good looking temps. In the meantime just go easy on yourself and lean on your friends (here and in real life) and husband as much as you can to keep yourself going.

I'm so proud of you!!! Good luck!! :welldone: :welldone:

Thanks so much for sharing your story, onob7323. It takes a lot of courage to put your fears into words and even more to share them. You also should be SUPER proud of yourself for getting yourself to the dentist and starting the process that will lead to a healthy smile. It sounds like you're largely doing it on your own, which also takes a lot of courage and will. Give yourself a big huge pat on the back for what you're doing NOW, and start letting go of what got you here. Also, hopefully your husband can help shoulder some of the burden, even if he doesn't understand the phobia part. My wife has been a huge help just in being compassionate and being my "cheerleader" when I need a little encouragement.

Extractions should be a pretty gentle and completely painless process. They don't actually "pull" on the teeth at all. It's more of a firm nudging of the tooth, rocking it back and forth slowly until it releases on its own. When I had a molar extracted recently, there was no cracking or horrible sounds, and no pain at all. Just a couple of minutes of pushing, and then the dentist said, "And that's it!" I never felt the tooth come out, and actually didn't believe her that it was. My dentist also knew I was freaking out so she went very slow and gave me lots of encouraging words and distracting thoughts while she worked. I wouldn't have thought that would help, but it did, a lot. Bring an mp3 player and some calm music, too!

You'd be surprised at how nice a "temporary" set of teeth your dentist can make in the office. I had my whole top front arch prepared for crowns (from 6 through 11), and so they had to make me temporaries to wear until the permanent crowns came. The temps looked WAY nicer than my natural teeth had and didn't look goofy at all. I actually went around showing everyone my "new teeth", I was so proud of how they looked. It will probably feel a little weird having teeth where you didn't use to, but your dentist will fit them carefully so the bite is correct, and you should be fine.

I hope you keep your appointment and go through with the work. It should be painless, and I can tell you from personal experience that you'll probably feel a) exhausted from all the worrying and sitting rigid in the chair, muscles clenched, but then b) really proud and relieved to be past the "worst" of it and on your way to a new smile. The anticipation just sucks, but better to plunge in and get it behind you now, and get that big reward of relief and good looking temps. In the meantime just go easy on yourself and lean on your friends (here and in real life) and husband as much as you can to keep yourself going.

I'm so proud of you!!! Good luck!! :welldone: :welldone:

Thank you SO much for the encouraging words. My husband is really trying to be supportive in his own way. He has been encouraging by saying how beautiful I'll look (actually he said "Hot") and that he is glad I am doing this. He just doesn't ever worry about anything - regardless of what it is he just takes it in stride. We have been married 41 years, so I know it's just the way he is. He doesn't understand putting off necessary things because of being paralyzed by fear or worrying about the outcome. He is going with me and will be there waiting when I am finished. That's why I like this site - other people who think like I do!! :) Right or wrong, it is who we are! Even though I want to run away, I know I can't and I won't. I was diagnosed with early stage uterine cancer last year and facing up to that was extremely difficult for me, but with God's help, I made it and I am fine. The surgery was considered to be the cure and I will be closely monitored for several years, but I am doing great. I wanted to run away then, too!! There is a website called Hystersisters that runs exactly like this one and it was a tremendous help then, just as this one is now.

Again, thank you for your comforting and encouraging words. I'll let you know how it all goes!! About this time tomorrow, I'll be sitting in "the chair"!

Well done you for getting to where you are, and well on the road to getting a lovely smile back again. You will be fine, and as Steve said, probably more exhausted from all the worrying that you are doing prior to.

I will be thinking of you, and sending calming vibes your way - when you can, let us know how you get on.

Take care.

Kim

Back