• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Freaking Out!

O

onob7323

:cry:My appointment for my extractions is only a little over 5 hours away and I am starting to freak out. I have been trying to keep everything under control and have done pretty well until now. I went to Walmart and walked around for about an hour - it is 2:30 a.m. CST right now. It helped distract me for a little while, but the panic just seems to rush in without warning - have all the symptoms of a panic attack right now. I am fighting for control. I want to call the dentist's office in the morning and tell them forget it, but I know I can't do that. I only have a temporary tooth bonded in so it won't due and I don't want to go around with a gaping hole in my mouth, plus all the other broken teeth in the back that need to be removed. I looked at my mouth in a mirror when I was in the ladies room at the store and said "WHY would you want to continue to keep these teeth?" I can't tell you why I would want to keep them, other than they are MINE! I've had them a long time - original equipment you know. I feel trapped even though I really DO have a choice - I just want to have it all! I want the pretty smile, but I am dreading what it will take to get that!

Sorry - I just needed to vent. It helps me to write it out and maybe give me some perspective. My husband is sleeping like a baby - no worries for him. It's funny about him - even if HE was having this done, he would still be sleeping like a baby. I WISH I could be that way. I am working myself into a lather and I know my blood pressure will be sky high - it always is when I see the doctor. I have a severe case of white coat hypertension and only mild hypertension otherwise. Now I'm afraid the dentist is going to say he can't do it because my pressure is too high! I was cleared for major surgery last year and it was REALLY high.

Okay - I am going to TRY to get a few hours sleep. Lack of sleep won't help my blood pressure or my nerves!
Hopefully, I will have a wonderful report later this morning!

Thanks for listening

I wish you loads of hugs for your appointment. The terrified anticipation is the worst bit isn't it. We really do put ourselves through it, imagining the worst. As you work your way through your treatment, I hope you will find that after each treatment you begin to see that the time in the chair is a positive step and a GREAT achievement. I don't know the answer to the pre-appt anxiety. Some have been prescribed medication, and that seems to help. I shall probably be in the same boat prior to my first ever hygienist visit at the end of August.
I try to calm myself by realising that all my treatments have been successful and positive. I love my smile. The results have been all good. We must stop giving ourselves a hard time beforehand..................mustn't we?!

The best of positive thoughts vibing their way to you. I hope you will feel more empowered with each step.

toucan

Good luck in your appointment today, onob7323! At least it's first thing in the morning so you don't have all day to wait, too, right?

On my "big day" I got through just by breaking everything down into tiny little steps. I just kept telling myself, "I need to take a shower now, then I'm going to get dressed, then I'll put my shoes on, then I'll walk to the car..." Somehow that kept me occupied enough that even though I knew I was going to the dentist, I could focus on the task at hand, even when the task at hand was just "scoop the kitty litter now..."

Once you get to The Chair and get numbed up, the rest will go fast and easy. Before you know it, you'll have some new temporaries and you'll be home sleeping off all the stress and proud of yourself for surviving.

Hang in there, I know you can do it!!!

We'll be thinking about you and sending happy thoughts. Do update us tonight when you're rested and so much happier...
:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Hi
I don't know you in person, but here is something that might be relevant: whenever a small change takes place in the mouth (like a new filling, crown, missing tooth, even the the lack of tartar after cleaning) the change is very noticable. The mouth has the highest nerve supply in our body thus every small change is noticeable, surely when dealing with the front teeth, because is it not only a different sensation with the tongue cheek and so forth but also it looks different.
The good news that it takes time but eventually we get used to the new sensation in the mouth and the new look of our smile. It might take a few weeks, and your dentist can be a great source of support. If you feel any discomfort or you want to change something in the appearance of your teeth don't hesitate to go to your dentist. It is also part of the dentist's job.
Regarding the blood-pressure: High blood pressure by itself is not a problem during the dental treatment. It can be an issue when the patient takes medications (because of side effects), when there are cardio problems and if the patient is experiencing too much stress.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement - I do so appreciate it. It's almost 6 am now - I have slept a tiny bit, but certainly not a restful sleep. Dr. Daniel, Thank you for your perspective - I have had a difficult time with trying to picture how I will look. I will have quite of several upper teeth left - canine to canine, except for the one the broke off two weeks ago. I am hopeful that will allow me to continue to look like me. On the bottom, all I will have are the two canines - the others will have to go because they are not viable. I have tried to prepare myself for the worst in that area - don't know if you can really prepare yourself. At least I opted to have interim partials so I won't have to be without teeth at all while the gums are healing.

I will let you know how things went. Hopefully, I will have positive experience. I do not really know this dentist - I was a new patient to him last week. I was impressed with him and his staff last week - so I know he is kind and gentle. Skill??? That remains to be seen......................:o

I was impressed with him and his staff last week - so I know he is kind and gentle. Skill??? That remains to be seen......................:o
That's very true.

Kep us informed.

Good luck:clover: with your appointment, let us know how you get on when you feel able to. I am sure you will be fine. The stress and worry we give ourselves really is the worst of the treatment. :butterfly:

I just took my blood pressure - appointment in a half hour. It is WAY WAY too high!! Now I am really freaking out!! I have gone through all this agony and the dentist is probably not going to want to touch me!! I don't know what to do. It is usually very high when I go to the doctor, but this is even higher than that!

I'll let you all know what happens!

Looking forward to hearing how it went, fingers crossed for you :bear::bear:

I'm back!!

Well, I'm done at the dentist - Thank God!! It was a real experience - mostly positive I would say!! My blood pressure was very high, so it took quite a while to relax me enough for it to come down. Because i was so hyper, the nitrous oxide wasn't as effective as it could have been - I could tell it had some effect because my pressure came down pretty quickly after the nitrous oxide was started. The dentist was wonderful - very patient and kind. I delayed him by at least 30 minutes, but he or his assistant never became impatient. The injections were a piece of cake - just a tiny pinch when he injected the roof of my mouth -NOTHING like I experienced years ago. Even though I felt pressure, I didn't feel any pain - at one point I felt a little poke and he immediately put a little extra anesthetic around the tooth to be sure I didn't feel any pain. I'm sure he could have moved more quickly if I had been more relaxed. Anyway, my new teeth look pretty good. It's really kind of hard to tell right now because there is still bleeding and I have gauze pads in my mouth. The bottom teeth look great - the uppers are pretty good - these are temporary, so changes can be made on the permanent ones. They match my teeth perfectly - I am impressed! I feel good that I have accomplished this. I literally thought of running away this morning -bad teeth and all!! I'm glad I stuck it out. My mouth is beginning to wake up a little and the assistant told me my jaws would be sore because of being open for so long. I can cope - the worst part is behind me - I am relieved and grateful.....and hungry!!

Thanks to all of you for listening to me whine and for your words of encouragement. Lots of hugs to all of you!

Hi Im new here but just wanted to say well done ! I hope I handle my extractions with the same bravery... so glad to hear the dental team were kind and patient.. enjoy your new teeth :)

You did it!!! Good for you!! Now you can relax and concentrate on healing.:cheer:

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump: WELL DONE YOU :jump::jump::jump: :cheer::jump::jump::jump: YOU CAN DO THE DANCE OF SUCCESS NOW, ARE YOU READY :dance2::dance::dance::dance2: WhooooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooo

When I have had teeth removed I usually take some painkillers before the numbing wears off, better to get any pain under control before it happens, it will help your jaw as well. HAPPY HEALING :butterfly:

I hope you are really proud of yourself, you should be, and keep that dentist he is a keeper. :star::star::star:

Thanks to all of you. This forum really get through the past few days - just knowing there were other people who have had all the same feelings I was having, made it a little easier to bear - I had to push hard this morning, but I made it. All the numbness has gone away and have a little pain - more like a headache. Took some ibuprofen a while ago and feel much better. I have a prescription for Vicodan if I need it, but I'd rather not. The really annoying thing right now if having to keep biting down on the gauze pads. Most of the bleeding has subsided, but there is one place that keeps bleeding - not terrible, but it still hasn't come to a complete stop yet. The gauze makes me gag and then that makes my partials move. This too shall pass!

Thanks again Yippeee!!!:jump:

Back