• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen Gum After Extraction?

N

nervnelly

I had lower right wisdom tooth and molar extracted about a week and-a-half ago. Jaw was sore to the touch a week after, but now everything feels normal, with the exception of the gum where the molar was. I keep feeling it against my inner cheek and when I look at it, it looks as if it could be swollen. However, it's not red, it's the same color as the rest of my gums. Is this just my imagination -- maybe it just feels weird because the tooth's gone? Is it possible that the socket got expanded and that's why I feel the gum against my cheek (whereas I don't feel the left side, where there is a molar, against my inside cheek)? Btw, I am 49 if that makes any difference. I'm going back to the dentist in September to get an upper wisdom tooth and molar extracted. Should I just wait and bring it up to him then since it isn't red or hurting, so I don't think the gum is infected?

Off topic, how do I go about thanking someone for their response? I notice that at the bottom of some responses, it will note that a user appreciates the post. I am very thankful for finding this board and have seen several responses to questions to which I can relate and, therefore, appreciate the informative responses.

Oh, we had extractions about the same time! Extraction buddies. :giggle:

I can also feel the edge of my gums against the inner cheek and I think it must be some residual swelling. The extraction sites are beginning to close up a little, but I'm definitely aware of everything on that side; sometimes I can even feel my tongue flip up over the gum. I'm guessing since you don't have any redness, it's probably healing normally.

As for the other, there should be a little blue "thanks" button at the bottom of posts; if you click that, it thanks the poster for their comments.

reallyginny,
Thanks for not only making me feel like I'm not alone in what I'm experiencing, but for the tip on thanking the poster.:)

Back