Thread: Pain and Sensitivity New Crown

Default Pain and Sensitivity New Crown

Hello Guys,

I am new to the site. Any advice would be sooo helpful. I recently (almost 2 weeks) had a permanent crown fitted on my upper molar. My molar has quite a large filling and a small piece of remaining enamel was chipped. The dentist prepared my tooth and supposedly build it up for the new crown. I was in really bad pain the whole time I was wearing the temp. The dentist advised me that sensitivity was normal. When I went to have the permanant crown fitted, I told the dentist that I was still in really bad pain. I also asked her before she cemented the crown if a nerve could have been exposed during prep. She said that there were no exposed nerves. After two weeks of wearing the crown, I still can't bite down or even place anything cold on it. I went back to the dentist to see if the tooth needed adjusting. She said it didn't. When I told her that I was having to contantly take pain medication, she asked me, "Why didn't you tell me before I placed the crown that you were in so much pain?" She said that she would have to drill into the new crown and perform a root canal.

I am now seriously questioning this dentist's abilities/ethics. Do I just wait and see if the pain subsides? Should I go to another dentist to get a second opinion? If my tooth was damaged during preparation of the crown, is it really my responsibilty to pay an additional $800 for root canal therapy? I'm going out of my mind. Wish I could come back to the UK to see a dentist there:-( It seems that American dentists want as much money out of you as they can get. Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Default Re: Pain and Sensitivity New Crown

gunnysmum,

First of all, ! I'm not a dentist, but here are my thoughts (having had 2 crowns and 2 root canals). My understanding is that your dentist should have never placed a permanent crown on a tooth that was still sensitive. I know that my dentist certainly would not have. Also, I'm concerned that your dentist stated that she could tell if a never was affected by the filling as I don't think that there is any way to know for sure. The first crown I had was a second filling on a tooth that already had a very large filling. My dentist is very meticulous and really thought that he could just do a crown preparation and the tooth would be ok. After a couple of weeks I was still in a lot of pain from the temporary crown. I ended up needing a root canal (which, by the way was probably one of the easiest dental procedures I've ever had -- and, I had complete pain relief immediately after). When I asked the dentist why this happened he told me that sometimes the nerves in the teeth just become really inflamed and start to die after being traumatized by a large filling, etc. I have read a lot of information online and this really does seem to be the truth. Unfortunately, your dentist may not have made any error with the crown preparation -- it may just have been your tooth responding badly. The mistake that she did seem to make was putting a permanent crown on a tooth that was still causing you pain.

If it were me, I would consult with an endodontist (if you are able to do this) to see if a root canal is needed. I would make sure that they thoroughly test the tooth to see if the nerve is still viable. Sometimes these tests are inconclusive and then you can wait to see if the nerves settle down. In my case, for the first root canal, the tests were inconclusive, but I was in a lot of pain that was only getting worse and worse. I decided to have the root canal as the endodontist also said that, even with inconclusive tests, having as much pain as I was having was a pretty good sign that the nerves in the tooth were well on their way to dying. I also just couldn't take the pain any longer and, as terrified as I was of having a root canal, I was even more convinced that I could not continue to deal with the pain in my tooth.

Best of luck to you!

My experience (after lots of root canals and crowns) backs up what FearfulInMA said.

It seems unlikely that your dentist "caused" you to need a root canal during crown prep (probably even harder to prove it), but I agree that the crown should not have been placed if you were experiencing pain. Sensitivity is sometimes inevitable but pain should have been a big red flag that something was still wrong. With a big (i.e. deep) filling, it may have been a judgement call as to whether the tooth could be built up and spared a root canal, but the fact that it was still causing pain I'd think would point to the fact that a root canal was needed after all.

Root canal therapy is indeed a painless and easy procedure, and your pain should be alleviated almost immediately. My question would be whether the crown will continue to provide adequate structural support after being drilled through. If a new crown is needed, your dentist really should incur that cost, since you did tell the dentist you were in pain before the crown was seated.

I forgot to mention, as Steve In Cleveland did, that RCT is a super easy and boring (from a patient perspective) procedure which doesn't deserve any of the bad rap it gets. So much easier and much less uncomfortable than a crown preparation.

Well I am an American dentist so I'll reply. First issue is did the dentist cause the problem? I would say the dentist treatment of your tooth precipitated the problem. Your tooth already had a large filling which is an indication for a crown. When the dentist prepared the tooth it then became very sensitive and painful. This happens to all dentists so I see no fault here at all. As to the money with the root canal it is very easy to tell a patient before the crown that they need a root canal or that they might need one which apparently yours didn't.
      The only issue I see here is cementing a crown on a painful tooth. Not unusual for a temporary to be sort of sensitive which will usually quiet down but painful is a red flag.
      Dr. Raymond Kimsey, DMD
      www.comfortableimplantdentistry.com

Smile Re: Pain and Sensitivity New Crown

Hey, I just wanted to say that I have a few crowns...some of them were pretty sensitive and 'angry' after the permanent crown was placed, but the pain ended up being temporary and it did eventually fade away.

So hang in there, the nerve might just need a little time to 'calm down' after having so much work done around it.