• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Redness and pain in gums after extraction.

N

neon

Hello everyone, I had a tooth extracted 12 days ago now and I can still feel a sharp pain around the extraction site , also my gums are extremely red and it seems like they may have sunken somewhat (?). I'm just wondering what this could be, if it's normal or not and if I should go back to the dentist.
Thanks
Alan.

If in any doubt whatsoever, check it out with the pro's and go back and let them take a look and hopefully allay any fears and concerns that you have. Your gums do shrink over a period of time, so maybe that is the 'sunken' thing?

Hope you get on alright, and keep us posted.

Kim

As Kim said, definitely check it out with your dentist, but I can tell you it took a good 15 or 16 days before I was completely pain free after my extractions.

Thank you for your replies, I think I will wait a week or so and see if it settles down and the redness improves before going back to the dentist.
Alan:)

Might be a bone spicule coming through, can you feel anything a bit sharp in the socket with your tongue?

Might be a bone spicule coming through, can you feel anything a bit sharp in the socket with your tongue?

Hi Gordon, I had a quick feel and can't feel anything outwardly obvious however I can feel something within the socket that feels like an object, however feeling along the gum line I can't feel any bumps (I hope this is clear?) . If it was a bone fragment would that cause the gums to turn red? Thanks for your reply
Alan

It would a bit, they can cause a bit of local irritation.

Thank you, I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for all your replies, I think this is a great website :)

Back