• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help... a piece of my tooth just fell out

C

cammy

a piece of my tooth just fell out...i would say no more than 1/4 of the size of the top of the tooth. i can see a lot of black inside, im sure this is a cavity and the tooth fell apart from decay

im not in pain, there is no bleeding, and the rest of the tooth seems to be in there pretty solid still

its saturday, im not sure what to do. all of the local dentists are closed and and i dont know if this is classified as an emergency or not. it just looks horrific but doesnt hurt... can i wait until monday?

i washed my mouth out with warm water, not sure what else to do at this point, i will be calling a dentist on monday morning but do i need to do anything in the meantime? thanks for any help!

I'm not a Dentist.

Is it posible you had a Filling in that tooth? Some Dentist use Black Stuff as a Filling Material,.. some use a mix of black and white,.. and some times your Fillings look black when they are some shiney silvery metal.

There are Emergency Dental Places. Though here there aren't many. Some times they use Urgent as part of their name. There are also Dentist that will have instructions on their recordings on what to do or who to contact if it's an Emergency. Some times those Contacts are just Dentist that work on the Weekends.

Around here, peoples teeth are constantly falling to pieces that have fillings or the fillings will fall out in 3 months to 3 years. It's considered Normal Here, but I don't think it's supposed to be normal. It probably still happens from time to time even with good Dentist.

well that does ease my fears a little, i have had fillings before, probably about 3 years ago, though i dont remember exactly which tooth. i know for certain they were in my molars, and thats what the tooth that "broke" is... so it is possible, even likely

especially where there has been no pain associated with the piece falling out, perhaps it was part of a filling? i suppose i will find out next week when i finally go to the dentist...

If it's not hurting, it likely isn't an emergency that needs attending to immediately.  I would just wait until Monday to get in to see someone.  If it is a cavity, hopefully it can just be filled with a new filling.  Sometimes decay will enter a tooth and undermine the enamel by rotting away the dentin.  A large piece of the tooth can break off revealing the stained decay underneath.

I can't recall anything black that would be used in a filling.  The surface of silver mercury amalgam fillings can take on a black colour. There are some greyish materials, white ones, and beige.  I've see a red base material a couple of times, but I think that isn't very common.

Zzzdentist said:
If it's not hurting, it likely isn't an emergency that needs attending to immediately. I would just wait until Monday to get in to see someone. If it is a cavity, hopefully it can just be filled with a new filling. Sometimes decay will enter a tooth and undermine the enamel by rotting away the dentin. A large piece of the tooth can break off revealing the stained decay underneath.

I can't recall anything black that would be used in a filling. The surface of silver mercury amalgam fillings can take on a black colour. There are some greyish materials, white ones, and beige. I've see a red base material a couple of times, but I think that isn't very common.

hmmm this seems very reasonable. the more i think about it, the more i feel like i had a filling done in that paticular tooth. somebody else seems to remember it being more than 3 years ago, though i cant remember because my memory is terrible. im hoping and praying that it's just a filling that can be replaced with minimal work... no dental insurance, and the less time i have to spend there, the better :redface: not looking forward to it

i know ur fear. no one, wants to spend any time what so ever in the dentist office, but, look at it this way, better to spend a little time in the chair now for minor stuff, and be over with it, then to sit in the chair for long major stuff, and keep putting it off

Back