Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 53

    Thread: Flying after tooth extraction

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      125

      Default Flying after tooth extraction

      My first molar had a root canal done on it but the tooth was to far gone that it failed. This was a year ago. The root canal stopped the horrible pain, but it still hurt when I pushed on it. Went to an oral surgern and the apico success rate for my tooth is slim to none so it has to be pulled.

      Right now I am having some slight annoying aching in the tooth and think I should get it pulled before my vacation. I am curious why the tooth would still ache if there is no nerves in it but whatever.

      My question is, If I get the tooth pulled 1 week before I fly 2 hours, will that be enough time? Its not a wisdom tooth extraction but still an extraction none the less. I was a little worried about the pressure on the plane.

      So is a week long enough?

      Thanks

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Australia
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      27

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      The pain you are feeling might be due to an infection at the root of your tooth, soft tissue and bones can still hurt even if the tooth is dead.
      I've had a number of teeth pulled and one week is the minimum recovery time to feel normal again.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      125

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by Barb1966 View Post
      The pain you are feeling might be due to an infection at the root of your tooth, soft tissue and bones can still hurt even if the tooth is dead.
      I've had a number of teeth pulled and one week is the minimum recovery time to feel normal again.
      Interesting. Alot of people I know were normal the day of or by the next day. My brother just got the same tooth pulled and was fine in like 2 days. I guess everyone is different

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Cleveland, OH (USA)
      Gender
      Male
      Posts
      544

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      I've only had one tooth extracted-- also a molar-- and I was pretty much fine after a week, although I didn't start brushing near the socket until about the second week. The timeline for me was:

      Moment of extraction: no pain at all during the extraction!
      An hour after: switching out gauze every fifteen minutes, no pain
      Two hours after: woke up from nap, took painkiller, no pain. Gentle saltwater rinses.
      Six hours after: eating soft foods (pudding, applesauce, yogurt), no pain, took another painkiller just in case
      24 hours after: no more painkillers, still sticking to soft foods, saltwater rinses
      48 hours after: starting to eat soft foods (bread, pasta), saltwater rinses
      3 days after: eating most foods besides corn chips or things with sharp edges.
      5 days after: barely remember I even had an extraction

      I don't know anything about flying while healing, but I think after a week the clot should be pretty well set up and I don't see that pressure would have any real effects.

      I think a week should be fine, but that's just based on my own personal experience of course.

      Hope it's a fun vacation!

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      4,638

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Flying after 7 days isn't a problem.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      125

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Well I think I am going to get it extracted tomorrow. I dont really feel anymore aching on it though but better to just get it over with before it becomes bad sooner or later. My dentist is awesome and I never feel pain, but I also never had a primary tooth extraction. I sure hope this does not hurt!

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      125

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Well now I have to go in tomorrow instead. I spoke to the sec and she told me that " Molars need surgical extractions " and I would need stitches. I do not believe that. I dont think she knew what she was talking about. I was under the assumption that molars besides the third can just be pulled normally?

      About 30 percent of the crown of the tooth is off, but from what I see, you can still put pliers around it.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Cleveland, OH (USA)
      Gender
      Male
      Posts
      544

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by italiannyc17 View Post
      Well now I have to go in tomorrow instead. I spoke to the sec and she told me that " Molars need surgical extractions " and I would need stitches. I do not believe that. I dont think she knew what she was talking about. I was under the assumption that molars besides the third can just be pulled normally?

      About 30 percent of the crown of the tooth is off, but from what I see, you can still put pliers around it.
      I had a molar extracted recently and it required no stitches or special care. But it may be that this practice just prefers to schedule extra time for any complications. Dental receptionists sometimes have a strange perspective on dental care, since they're in the office and they make the appointments, but they don't really have any dental training. I wouldn't worry about that statement; if anything, it's good that the practice is anticipating the more complex outcome so you won't be rushed.

      Here's a big correction though, for anyone reading: Extraction doesn't involve pliers or anything like them, and isn't a pulling/tugging process! A lot of people think that extraction will be more complicated if the tooth is broken to the gumline, since there's nothing to "grab onto". (I thought that and it actually kept me away for much longer than I might otherwise have stayed away...). Extraction is actually more of a pushing process. The dentist will firmly push on the tooth to sort of rock it back and forth in its socket. The pushing is pretty hard, but not painful (you're numbed up beforehand). For me, the dentist pushed for about 10 seconds, and then stopped and pushed from another direction for another 10 seconds. After about the sixth push, she announced that the tooth was out! No one tugs or pulls on the tooth. The goal, as my dentist explained to me, is to cause the gums and connective tissues to release their hold on the tooth gently, so that it's free to come out without any force. So you don't actually need any exposed tooth for the "pliers" to grab onto-- because there's no pliers! In the event that the tooth is completely worn down smooth and there's no exposed surface to push on, the dentist might use the handpiece to shape a kind of divot that she can use to push on. Since you're numb, this isn't a big deal.

      The whole process of extraction can take as little as 10 minutes, and is very gentle and painless. If there's excessive bleeding the dentist may place a dissolving stitch to control it, but really you should be in and out pretty quickly.

      Good luck!
      • All opinions expressed are opinions; I'm not a dentist or medical professional.
      • Each mouth and each tooth is different, so my experience may not be yours.
      • Talk to a dentist before making any decisions or building up any expectations about what you need.
      • Stay calm and be kind to yourself.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      125

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by Steve In Cleveland View Post
      I had a molar extracted recently and it required no stitches or special care. But it may be that this practice just prefers to schedule extra time for any complications. Dental receptionists sometimes have a strange perspective on dental care, since they're in the office and they make the appointments, but they don't really have any dental training. I wouldn't worry about that statement; if anything, it's good that the practice is anticipating the more complex outcome so you won't be rushed.

      Here's a big correction though, for anyone reading: Extraction doesn't involve pliers or anything like them, and isn't a pulling/tugging process! A lot of people think that extraction will be more complicated if the tooth is broken to the gumline, since there's nothing to "grab onto". (I thought that and it actually kept me away for much longer than I might otherwise have stayed away...). Extraction is actually more of a pushing process. The dentist will firmly push on the tooth to sort of rock it back and forth in its socket. The pushing is pretty hard, but not painful (you're numbed up beforehand). For me, the dentist pushed for about 10 seconds, and then stopped and pushed from another direction for another 10 seconds. After about the sixth push, she announced that the tooth was out! No one tugs or pulls on the tooth. The goal, as my dentist explained to me, is to cause the gums and connective tissues to release their hold on the tooth gently, so that it's free to come out without any force. So you don't actually need any exposed tooth for the "pliers" to grab onto-- because there's no pliers! In the event that the tooth is completely worn down smooth and there's no exposed surface to push on, the dentist might use the handpiece to shape a kind of divot that she can use to push on. Since you're numb, this isn't a big deal.

      The whole process of extraction can take as little as 10 minutes, and is very gentle and painless. If there's excessive bleeding the dentist may place a dissolving stitch to control it, but really you should be in and out pretty quickly.

      Good luck!
      Well thats good to know. Im curious if you know this answer.. What happens if the tooth breaks apart while being extracted

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,046

      Default Re: Flying after tooth extraction

      They just pick out the pieces. Good luck

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •