• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flying after tooth extraction

Ok guys I really need your opinions on this.

If these were your choices, what would you choose

1. Be in pain and take the chance and fly a 2 hour plane trip. Stay on antibiotics and hope the pain goes down and bring pain killers and advil

2. Take the chance and get the molar extracted Tuesday and fly the next day. Hoping that you do not develop a dry socket, knowing once at your destination, you probably would be screwed because most dentists would be closed on the weekend and you fly home Monday.

3. Cancel the trip and lose the 250 airfare. Also, annoy all your friends who are going with you. Mind you this is not a leisure trip. Its go down to Miami FL and hit the nightlife trip.

Right now those are my options.

Last edited:
I'd probably go with #1. Definitely not #2.

Worst case, if Wednesday comes and your in more pain, I guess like any other illness, you'll probably end up losing the trip and the money.

Teeth in trauma are so unpredictable. :( I've had teeth that throb for a while and then quiet down for years, and others just rage up out of nowhere. Here's hoping yours is the former.

I'd probably go with #1. Definitely not #2.

Worst case, if Wednesday comes and your in more pain, I guess like any other illness, you'll probably end up losing the trip and the money.

Teeth in trauma are so unpredictable. :( I've had teeth that throb for a while and then quiet down for years, and others just rage up out of nowhere. Here's hoping yours is the former.

Well, sadly it looks like I might not go. Still have two days to decide. Fly wensday night. I dont really have any pain. Just feels a lil sore and ill have the dull ache whenever I move certain ways. Found out the airline will give me a 170 dollar credit if I have to cancel. Not bad. Only spend around 240.

The thing is, I am not really worried about feeling pain when I am down there. I think I can deal with that much. I am much more worried about the air pressure while flying for 2 hours, and it making my dull ache into a horrible pain. I wonder if I would be bothered by the pressure even though I know for a fact all the nerves were takin out of that tooth and its sealed perfectly. The abbcess is on the root tip. Maybe it wont make it worse. Sadly, only one way to find out lol

Last edited:
Less then 48 hours. No decision made yet. Tooth is just waiting to be annoyed

I hope what ever decision you make, it works out for you Good Luck :clover::clover::clover:

Decided to stay home. Getting tooth extracted tomorrow. Question. I can drive myself home after a 1st molar extraction right? I am not being sedated or put to sleep. Just local

You should have no problem driving home. My extraction (with local) took all of about 5-10 minutes, and I was fine. You'll probably be sent home with some gauze to bite down on and some extras to swap out every 15-30 minutes for the first couple of hours, or until the bleeding stops. But you won't be incapacitated in any way, any more than you would be after a filling or any other local anesthetic procedure.

Well the molar was extracted today. Thankfully it was not surgical. Took him about 5 minutes to get it out. Just alot of back and forth on the tooth. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast. In the end it came out. I almost passed out though. Thats only because that happens wehn I lose blood.

He presribed me Vicodin 10. I think he smooth the bone a little bit. I feel sore and some pain and I am still numb. I am afraid to take Vicodin. I have Vicodin 5 from a few months ago I never took so Maybe I will start with that.

I looked in the hole and saw some bone. Not bone on the bottom or anything. Just more like a piece of tooth. I am pretty sure he would not just leave that there so I hope its normal.

Anywho. He told me no antibiotics and not to rinse with anything for 3 days. I always thought you are suppossed to rinse but I guess there is a reason he is telling me know. Surprised I did not get antibiotics to take since the tooth was infected. Maybe guess today was the last day of the course he has given me the week before and he said it keeps working for few days and will drain itself? I dunno I trust the man and hes very well respected.

BTW, word of advice to everyone. If you dont know if u are numb, just see if part of you lip is numb. If it is, you are most likely ready. I still felt a lil bit while he was doing it, but he just numbed me up some more.

I am very pessimistic so I bought the Red Cross toothache kit with has clove oil and stuff, God forbid I get a dry socket. I heard it works WONDERS.

Best part about all of this though. My dentist did not charge me a dime for the extraction. He felt bad that I missed my trip and did it as a courtesy. Now thats a good man. Love my dentist.

Lets hope this all works out. I just took 3 advil to start. I dont feel like taking the Viks incase things get worse. Dont want to chance throwing up. Although he said I will probably need it.

Last edited:
many people don't take anything stronger than over the counter pain relief after extractions. back in 2009, i didn't take anything at all after having a tooth pulled. didn't need it.

when i had 3 extractions recently, i took tylenol 3's twice in the same day as my dentist appointment. didn't need to take anything after that. probably only had to take the t3's once that day, but took the second dose before bed just in case - wasn't feeling any pain at all, but didn't want to wake up middle of the night hurting, i value my sleep too much! lol.

many people don't take anything stronger than over the counter pain relief after extractions. back in 2009, i didn't take anything at all after having a tooth pulled. didn't need it.

when i had 3 extractions recently, i took tylenol 3's twice in the same day as my dentist appointment. didn't need to take anything after that. probably only had to take the t3's once that day, but took the second dose before bed just in case - wasn't feeling any pain at all, but didn't want to wake up middle of the night hurting, i value my sleep too much! lol.

lol Yeah I am the same way. Been about 10 hours since the extraction and taken 2 advil when I get home, and another two about 7 hours later. I have not taken the Vicodin yet, have not needed it. Finally think I have gotten the bleeding under control. I will admit though, I was very happy that my dentist did not charge me anything for the extraction. Felt bad I missed my little trip. Hard to find nice people like that in this world. I have not tried Tylenol 3 in the past. I was prescribed it once for dental but was scared the codeine would make me throw up lol. I did manage to eat 3 soft tacos from taco bell. I ripped pieces off and just swallowed without chewing lol. Was starving.

Lets hope things go smoothly with no severe pain or problems. :grin:

24 hours in. No pain. Still taking advil every 6 to 8 anyway to stop it before it comes. The worst part about this is the taste of blood in my mouth and dry mouth.

I am afraid to even drink normally because I dont want to lose the clot.

When in the world can I brush again. I hate this taste. If you are not supposed to rinse with anything for 3 days, how can u brush with toothpaste after one? Confused about that.

Eat, drink, brush etc normally. Get on with your life :)

My dentist told me I could rinse, just not vigorously, and not to spit. So I would kind of take a mouthful of warm salty water (blech! but you get used to it), slosh it around gently by rocking my head back and forth, and then tilt my head forward and let it slosh out. I avoided brushing in the area of the tooth for about a week, and directly at the site for several weeks. But I was still able to brush and gently rinse.

I was also able to drink fluids and eat pudding, applesauce, etc. No straws, of course!

There was some conflicting info between what my dentist said, the paperwork she gave me, and the advice on this site. But I think if you avoid poking around at the site, and don't engage in any sucking/blowing/sloshing/smoking that might cause pressure in your mouth for the first 48-72 hours, you're generally good. But you need to get calories somehow! And saltwater rinses, as long as they're general, are supposed to help a lot with fighting infection.

The first 24 hours seems to be the most critical. If you've been careful so far, go ahead and indulge in a little water and soft foods.

My dentist told me I could rinse, just not vigorously, and not to spit. So I would kind of take a mouthful of warm salty water (blech! but you get used to it), slosh it around gently by rocking my head back and forth, and then tilt my head forward and let it slosh out. I avoided brushing in the area of the tooth for about a week, and directly at the site for several weeks. But I was still able to brush and gently rinse.

I was also able to drink fluids and eat pudding, applesauce, etc. No straws, of course!

There was some conflicting info between what my dentist said, the paperwork she gave me, and the advice on this site. But I think if you avoid poking around at the site, and don't engage in any sucking/blowing/sloshing/smoking that might cause pressure in your mouth for the first 48-72 hours, you're generally good. But you need to get calories somehow! And saltwater rinses, as long as they're general, are supposed to help a lot with fighting infection.

The first 24 hours seems to be the most critical. If you've been careful so far, go ahead and indulge in a little water and soft foods.

Yeah I had some soft tacos yesterday. Just ripped it apart and swallowed the pieces whole lol. That gave me some calories cuz taco bell is fattening.

I am worried about the salt rinse because I asked him a few times and he said do not do it for 3 days. He said the mouth will heal itself. I am sure ill end up doing it tomorrow though anyway. I have braces on my top teeth so I am going to brush them. I am assuming you dont use toothpaste because ud have to spit it out? It sucks because I use flouride rinse every night for the braces, and now I cant use that or listorine for a while

i brushed my teeth at 5 pm the day after getting 3 extractions, with toothpaste. i couldn't stand the feeling of my mouth being dirty any longer, and i had a hot date with my sweet handsome man :) just avoid the area of extraction, and you will be fine.

after a couple days, eat what you think won't get stuck or irritate the gum tissue near the site. chew on the other side of your mouth. heck, i was eating shrimp for supper the night after my extractions, and crispy bacon, eggs, and toast 48 hours after. the whole left side of my mouth was wrought with holes, stitches, and a touch of swelling. but i was hungry! lol. and i wasn't in pain, so i figured i might as well enjoy my food and worry about the saltwater rinses after (which, btw, my dentist advised to start 24 hours after extractions).

the only issue i had more than a couple days past extractions was a touch of stiffness in the left 'hinge' of my jaw. that went away after a little over a week, and it never really caused me any grief, i could still open to chew, talk, and kiss my sweetie, so it was all good! lol.

if you have no pain, live life fully, and don't worry any more. :)

i brushed my teeth at 5 pm the day after getting 3 extractions, with toothpaste. i couldn't stand the feeling of my mouth being dirty any longer, and i had a hot date with my sweet handsome man :) just avoid the area of extraction, and you will be fine.

after a couple days, eat what you think won't get stuck or irritate the gum tissue near the site. chew on the other side of your mouth. heck, i was eating shrimp for supper the night after my extractions, and crispy bacon, eggs, and toast 48 hours after. the whole left side of my mouth was wrought with holes, stitches, and a touch of swelling. but i was hungry! lol. and i wasn't in pain, so i figured i might as well enjoy my food and worry about the saltwater rinses after (which, btw, my dentist advised to start 24 hours after extractions).

the only issue i had more than a couple days past extractions was a touch of stiffness in the left 'hinge' of my jaw. that went away after a little over a week, and it never really caused me any grief, i could still open to chew, talk, and kiss my sweetie, so it was all good! lol.

if you have no pain, live life fully, and don't worry any more. :)

didnt you worry about a dry socket or dislodging the clot eating like that lol I myself worry about damn water touching it when I attempt to drink some lol

to be honest, i worried a little about dry socket, but figured if it happened i could go to the dentist or hospital and they'd help me out with that. i was drinking a lukewarm coffee as soon as i was past the 'drooling from novicaine' stage and i was able to take my gauze out. eating jello and pudding within 4-5 hours of coming home. eating macaroni the same evening for dinner. i didn't really chew anything that first day, just let it slide down my throat mostly.

the clots stay in better than we think they do, i think. it is just the first few days that you have to be careful. i probably could have been a little more careful, but the way i looked at it was this - i was in excruciating pain for quite some time from the abscessed teeth, so what could be worse? i've also gone through child birth/labour, what could be worse? lol.

Is spot bleeding normal 30 hours after extraction? Nothing major, just in my saliva there is some. Mostly happens whenever I drink water or talk alot

Is spot bleeding normal 30 hours after extraction? Nothing major, just in my saliva there is some. Mostly happens whenever I drink water or talk alot

46 hours in. Not really much pain. Mouth just taste like crap and is dry. My blot has some white little dots on it. Some weird stuff but nothing I dont think id normal. Still have not rinsed my mouth with salt because dentist told me to wait 3 days. Kinda hating that cuz my mouth tastes like crap. Hoping I can clean it like normal starting tomorrow.

When I wake up in the morning it have that dry mouth and dry blood mixture taste. YUCK.

you'll see a white film of sorts develop over the extraction site. this is a good thing! don't try to wash/wipe it away. it is the white blood cells aiding in the healing. it looks nastier than heck, but it is part of the process.

Back