• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flying after tooth extraction

you'll see a white film of sorts develop over the extraction site. this is a good thing! don't try to wash/wipe it away. it is the white blood cells aiding in the healing. it looks nastier than heck, but it is part of the process.

Yeah the whole area looks nasty as hell. I have a little bit of aching over there. Wonder if that is normal. I am worried that it is going to get infected without the salt rinse. Maybe I shouldnt listen to the dentist and do it

you'll have little aches and tinges of uncomfortableness, and that's normal. i was like that, with a bit of jaw stiffness over the week after my extractions. nothing that kept me from doing everything that i would normally do before though, and nothing that required me to take any pain meds after the day of my extractions.

Last edited:
Something is wrong.

I am very nausious and feel like my body is shaking. I know I barely have eatten or drank the past 3 days but its freaking me out. I woke up and my heart was pounding in my chest.

get some fluids and food into you! that will help the most. are you still on antibiotics? they'll throw your system for a loop, i know they did with me. go see a doctor as well, just in case. but i think you are maybe stressing to the point of making yourself sick? try to relax :)

get some fluids and food into you! that will help the most. are you still on antibiotics? they'll throw your system for a loop, i know they did with me. go see a doctor as well, just in case. but i think you are maybe stressing to the point of making yourself sick? try to relax :)

I am not on antibiotics. I am drinking gatorade now but still feel the way I do. Have not taken any pain killers either except some advil the past 3 days. My clot looks like crap but its not pussing or infected. I woke up this morning with a clot NEXT to the tooth that got extracted also. and dry blood on my tounge, yet the original wound looks the same. Maybe I swallowed alot of blood? Maybe I just have no ate alot for days. I dont know anymore. I hope it gets better. I am supposed to see my dentist on tuesday but might bump it to tomorrow. Id call him but I doubt he can do anything about how I am feeling.

Only reason I havent eatten or drank much was because I did not wanna dislodge the clot. Its been 72 hours since extraction, so now I am going to ease up a little bit on the restrictions

EDIT: Ate mashed potatos and downed a whole bottle of gatorade and feeling alot better.

Last edited:
4 days post extraction. Am I past dry socket yet? I am friggin starving and want to eat something that I can actually chew. The site is still mixed red and white, kinda disgusting looking, but I believe the hole is somewhat smaller. Have not done salt water rinses. Dentist told me not to for 3 days, but tonight ill do it a little bit. I have an appointment tomorrow to see him for a brace adjustment.

You are past the dry socket stage now, it is usually within the first 72 hours. You will be fine if you eat and drink normally now, eat on the other side to the extraction site. I don't know why your dentist told you not to rinse with salt and water unless it is because you have a brace, but after extraction you start rinsing after 24 hours usually.

If you are worried, it is best to see your dentist and let them have a look and put your mind to rest.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Im curious. I know this clot wont stay there forever. At what point does it come out and you see the hole. I see all these posts about people having to irrigate wounds and how they see the holes. When does that happen? Im sure you dont have a clot for 3 weeks while it heals. Im curious because how come people do not feel dry socket pain when it comes out after a week, but will have that pain if it happens 3 days later

The clot doesn't usually fall out in a lump, but is broken down in small pieces. Google for "Healing by secondary intention" which is the healing process in tooth sockets. That'll save me having to type it all out for you!

:)

I'm going to be real happy when I can stop typing about this. Today is day 6. I started feeling a little more pain on the extraction site last night. I rarely felt any from the day I got it pulled. From what I see, the clot is still there. Its a little more whiteish/yellowish, but still some red and its getting smaller. Along with the hole little by little. Is it normal that as the hole starts to heal, that the site will hurt more? Still worried about dry socket. Dentist said I was healing slow yesturday but its healing.

Last edited:
You are over the worse now and doing really well, I hope you continue to heal and get better within yourself as well.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: and best wishes to you.

Everything is alright.

When can I start rinsing normal again with listerine and flouride rinse?

Whenever you like.

Back