• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

area around extraction site feels weird

S

Sunny78

Hello:
I had molar #15, which is the upper left molar at the very back, extracted on Friday.
The teeth and area around the extraction site feel very odd. It feels almost as if I
have something caught, like a baked bean or something soft, I guess, in the gum area
next to the site and between the cheek. I have not wanted to mess around with the
sutures or healing, so I have not pulled up the lip to look up there or touch it. But I am worried
that the area feels so strange. It is also somewhat like a numb feeling, but I'm not sure at
all it is still numb. It's only the area inside of my cheek, near the site.

Also: the the edges of the tooth next to the site--the bite edges--feel very odd, almost as
if the entire tooth has shifted. It almost feels like this tooth is now longer than it was.

I have no idea if any of this is normal or not, so can anyone tell me if this is? I understand
the area will not be back to normal, but I am concerned that something wrong is going on.
Although my oral surgeon claims he'll answer questions, I felt he was a tad annoyed with me.
When I contacted his office on Friday after the procedure, he would not return my calls.
Instead, his assistant did. I appreciated it; but she seemed annoyed with me too.

Also, off and on I have a funky, unpleasant, metallic taste in my mouth. I can't figure
out what causes it. Should I be concerned about any of this? Does this all sound like a prelude
to dry rot?

Thank you!

Hi,

From what you are telling it does not sound the extraction did not go well, nor that the tissue is not healing well.
The area is sensitive and time is needed.
I agree with you that it would have been better and nice if the oral surgeon and the assistant have been nicer and more infomative, but I assume they hope you wait a few days longer until the area heals.

all the best

Hi,

From what you are telling it does not sound the extraction did not go well, nor that the tissue is not healing well.
The area is sensitive and time is needed.
I agree with you that it would have been better and nice if the oral surgeon and the assistant have been nicer and more infomative, but I assume they hope you wait a few days longer until the area heals.

all the best

Thank you, Dr. Daniel. I will wait to "bother" them with questions in a few days if I don't feel better.
I feel pretty lousy. The area feels so traumatized. The particles that are coming out into my other teeth and tongue are few, but not tiny granules of sand-like material as they were on the first day. Today was a much bigger chunk, and I wonder if it is part of the tooth next to the site, if something is wrong. I was told to expect the bone grafting material to eke out, but no clue if the size of the particles are so inconsistent.
The funky taste in my mouth continues to crop up out of nowhere, then goes away after a couple of hours. NO clue what that's about. If I were not so worried about dry rot, I would be less stressed out.

Can you advise about the large-ish particles that are appearing? Thank you.

Sometimes small fragments of bone leave the extraction site. It does not sound so nice, but it is nothing to worry about.
I can imagine that between saturday (a day after your extraction) and today you feel improvement. That is the best sign for good healing.

Sometimes small fragments of bone leave the extraction site. It does not sound so nice, but it is nothing to worry about.
I can imagine that between saturday (a day after your extraction) and today you feel improvement. That is the best sign for good healing.

Thanks, Dr. Daniel. The larger chunks that don't appear to be bone graft material seem to come after a warm liquid, like warm (not hot) soup. I will not worry anymore about them.

The funky taste might be from the strong antibiotic. It comes and goes.

Today, though, I got a throbbing, out of nowhere. Not bad enough to take more than one Advil, and I could have gone without taking anything, but it was a throb all the same. I am terrified this could be the beginning of dry socket. Does the dry socket pain come and then go before it blossoms into full-blown horrible pain?

My mouth feels no different from how it did the first day. It feels like something is caught up in the area where the tooth was. Could it be the bone grafting makes the site worse than if it had been just an extraction?

One reason I am so worried about the healing process being derailed by dry socket is because I must go to the dentist to see about the pain in my lower molar on the other side of my mouth. I'm really afraid to go now, and have to open my mouth wide, etc. I feel I should let the extraction site heal more. Am I right?

I am terrified this could be the beginning of dry socket. Does the dry socket pain come and then go before it blossoms into full-blown horrible pain?

Dry socket is constant pain that start duing the first 72h after the extraction. You are out of danger for a dry socket. ;D

One reason I am so worried about the healing process being derailed by dry socket is because I must go to the dentist to see about the pain in my lower molar on the other side of my mouth. I'm really afraid to go now, and have to open my mouth wide, etc. I feel I should let the extraction site heal more. Am I right?
You can let your dentist only examine and diagnose the pain (as well checking the extraction site) without treating it, only after you heal from the extraction.

Thank you for your replies, Dr. Daniel! It's been a huge help.
Yesterday was the first day my mouth felt slightly, slightly less sore and strange (or else I'm getting used to it?).
No throbbing yesterday, either.
The funky taste in my mouth seems to be ebbing as well; it's possible that was due to the Chlorhexidine Gluconate oral rinse I was prescribed; my course of that ended last night, so we'll see.

Am so glad the dreaded worry of dry socket has passed.
Thank you again. I'll update here as necessary. Hopefully something I can post will help others.