• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth broke off at the gum line.

R

rosy

Is it hard to have back tooth on the lower jaw pulled out when it is broke off at the gum line.. I am really having a panic attack about this right now. I do not have dentist right now and I am panicking about that. I have never had tooth break off at the gum line before. I have never had a partial or anything like that in my mouth before.

Hi Rosy! For what it's worth, I have heard many times that teeth that are broke off like that are easier to extract. My husband had a tooth broke off at the gum line and it was an easy extraction for him. Hope that helps some.

Most important thing is to see a dentist before it gets infected or hurts and ask if they are comfortable with that extraction.

Hi tabatha7,
Thank you for answering my question. I sure hope my situation is not going to be that bad to fix. I am having major panic attack about this right now.

Rosy, It may depend on your roots and how long they are or if they are wrapped around anything. You really need to see a dentist/oral surgeon and get an xray. More than likely it won't be a hard extraction but like Comfortdentist said, it's best not to wait until it gets infected. The extraction and recovery will be easier without any infection. Let us know what you find out. By the way, I completely understand your anxiety about it. I am going through that myself awaiting wisdom extractions at a ripe age. None of us look forward to an extraction but I think you will be surprised at easy it will be compared to what is your mind right now. The important thing is to be numbed up properly. Always let your dentist/os know if you are feeling any discomfort so they can give you more local if its needed. You should not feel any pain. It will also be harder to numb up if you let it get infected.

I have one other question. If the roots of the tooth looks good is it possible to have a crown or cap put there. I would feel much better about having that done verses having it pulled?

Well, that is definitely something you can discuss with your dentist. Let them know you want to save your tooth if at all possible. They can advise you best especially after an xray.

I was reading that if it is below the gum line crown lengthening would be necessary. I don't know about that. That sounds scary. I really don't know what I should do.

The longer you leave it the less chance there is that it can be fixed. Crown lengthening is not always necessary and it really isn't that bad to have done. Certainly easier than an extraction.

Back